6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Additives

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Additives

2016 F350
Ive owned lots of diesels and have always used additives for water and ice?
Live in BC where it gets pretty cold and putting additives in all types of fuel is very common.

I asked the dealer what I could use and he said nothing?

Anyone know how it could hurt anything?

Old 12-02-2016, 05:07 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Ford sells PM-22 and PM-23 Check page 58 of your diesel supplemental owner's manual. I believe PM-22 is more of a cetane booster than a demulsifier product. PM-23 is a product for gel prevention in addition to cetane boost. I use the Stanadyne Blue (year round) and Red (summer) for cetane boost and demulsifier to help remove any water.

PM-22
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...nce%20Products

PM-23
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...nce%20Products

Old 12-02-2016, 06:05 AM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another Stanadyne fan here. I run the performance formula year round.

Performance Formula « Stanadyne Additives

Old 12-02-2016, 07:34 AM
treatcg
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the Motorcraft juice. I keep all my receipts too in case of a warranty issue.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinford
Anyone know how it could hurt anything?
There is a way that certain additives can hurt these motors.

Ford, and other auto makers, all have recommendations for the type of additives to use, if any at all. These are additives that improve cetane, lubricity, and when necessary..... anti-gel. That's it. They do not recommend any additives that do anything else.

The additives that can be harmful are those that go above and beyond what the auto manufacturers recommend. I'm talking about the additives that contain chemicals and products designed to clean injectors and injection systems, and/or designed to emulsify/demulsify water.

Cleaning agents can actually reduce lubricity in certain situations, like in the HPFP. That's because these agents are typically alcohol based. HPFP setups in common rail systems are not very tolerant of these alcohol based solvents.

Agents that emulsify/demulsify water can actually push water past the W/S and into the HPFP, injectors, etc. This prevents the W/S from doing its job properly, and contaminates the high pressure fuel system which over time can lead to eventual failure.

With proper maintenance, there is no need to use alcohol based solutions to clean out the fuel system. There is also never a need to emulsify or demulsify water. Let the W/S do it's job like it's designed, and maintain it properly by draining it periodically.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:48 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
There is a way that certain additives can hurt these motors.

Ford, and other auto makers, all have recommendations for the type of additives to use, if any at all. These are additives that improve cetane, lubricity, and when necessary..... anti-gel. That's it. They do not recommend any additives that do anything else.

The additives that can be harmful are those that go above and beyond what the auto manufacturers recommend. I'm talking about the additives that contain chemicals and products designed to clean injectors and injection systems, and/or designed to emulsify/demulsify water.

Cleaning agents can actually reduce lubricity in certain situations, like in the HPFP. That's because these agents are typically alcohol based. HPFP setups in common rail systems are not very tolerant of these alcohol based solvents.

Agents that emulsify/demulsify water can actually push water past the W/S and into the HPFP, injectors, etc. This prevents the W/S from doing its job properly, and contaminates the high pressure fuel system which over time can lead to eventual failure.

With proper maintenance, there is no need to use alcohol based solutions to clean out the fuel system. There is also never a need to emulsify or demulsify water. Let the W/S do it's job like it's designed, and maintain it properly by draining it periodically.
Well said and Thank You for changing my mind about Additives. I'm now clean and sober.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:11 AM
Bohen
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1oz of Essential Lube and 2oz of Power-Kleen by hydrotex at every fuel up and its fine to run in our Powerstroke fuelrail system . The garbage company that I work for has been these products for 10 plus years

Old 12-03-2016, 11:39 AM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fuel up here (I'm from Vanderhoof) just like your area is arctic fuel in the winter. I don't add anything for water, just opti lube summer formula for cetane and lubrication. Never an issue.