1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Help please 4x4 locking hub issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:42 AM
kyle j
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay thanks damn truck has been nothing but a headache drive it maybe 2 times a month every time I do somethings broken lol gonna try to pull it apart this weekend

Old 12-02-2016, 10:47 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If nothing's able to free-rotate with Warns unlocked AND t-case in 2HI, it could be the t-case. I would start by disconnecting the front driveshaft from the t-case and see if anything frees up.

This is a pitfall of having a vehicle you don't drive often. We have two PSDs and an IDI, but we typically only drive on the weekends. We have to remind ourselves to switch out so no one truck stands unused for too long. That's when things tend to either fail or just get hung up (parking brake cables are a prime example).

Old 12-02-2016, 10:59 AM
kyle j
Senior User
Ok I'll try that madpouge but if I can spin drivers side shaft by hand would that rule out transfer case problem?

Old 12-02-2016, 12:47 PM
kyle j
Senior User
Not sure if it's normal or related but also with the truck in park and shut off with hubs in free position and truck in 2wd I can spin the front driveshaft by hand?

Old 12-02-2016, 01:35 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Wait - in post #12 you said neither shaft moves. Now in post #18 you say you can spin the driver's side. Which is it?

With hubs unlocked and t-case in 2HI, the front driveshaft should spin by hand, yes. That actually suggests the T-case is okay.

When you're trying to spin the passenger side shaft by hand, is the steering pointed dead straight ahead?

Old 12-02-2016, 01:38 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle j
Not sure if it's normal or related but also with the truck in park and shut off with hubs in free position and truck in 2wd I can spin the front driveshaft by hand?
yes that is normal but is both axles turning too?

Old 12-02-2016, 01:51 PM
kyle j
Senior User
Hey sorry for the confusion and thanks for being patient with me. When truck is parked wheels straight , truck off and hubs in free with truck in 2wd I can spin the drivers side shaft by hand but not passenger side. On another not and where I think the confusion started was I had a friend drive the truck forward in my driveway this morning while I looked at both front driveshaft and axle shafts and both shafts did not move and driveshaft did not spin? This was at a very low rate of speed with hubs in free position and in 2wd on the floor

Old 12-02-2016, 02:21 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Okay, that clarifies things a lot. It's good, sort of, that none of the shafts turn while driving in 2HI with the hubs unlocked. That tells me that those items working properly. So the remaining issue is the passenger side shaft not free-turning by hand.

That's probably NOT the u-joint, since it happens with the wheels straight ahead. With the wheels straight ahead, the u-joint does not have to articulate, so even if it were jammed, the shaft should still _rotate_ on its axis, since it's perfectly straight (u-joint not articulated) when the steering is straight ahead.

One sign of a bad u-joint is when the shaft will turn by hand with the steering straight ahead, but can't be turned by hand when the steering is turned left or right. That indicates the joint is jamming when it's articulated. But that's not what you're experiencing.

To my mind, that leaves, as the prime suspect anyway, something going on in the diff holding up that axle shaft. Doesn't rule out something in the wheel bearing, etc., just seems to point more to the diff / axle shaft.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:28 PM
kyle j
Senior User
Thanks for the info sounds exspensive if i need to have axle rebuilt or shaft replaced guess I won't fully know how bad till diff cover gets pulled and shaft removed? I'm pretty confident with most things but rebuilding axle would be the first time for that

Old 12-02-2016, 03:17 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
Axle rebuild isn't that tough, it just takes some time and maybe a few new tools

Old 12-02-2016, 03:33 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
With the hubs unlocked, and the transfer case in 2 high, the front drive shaft should not turn while driving. With the truck parked, you should be able to rotate the front drive shaft by hand. The front drive shaft should turn if the hubs are locked in, or if the transfer case is in4 high or 4 low, while driving.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:51 PM
kyle j
Senior User
Yea I understand that now. my main problem right now is I can't move my passenger side shaft it's jammed after I was driving down the road and my truck decided it wanted to pull right hard and sharp . and I'm getting a interminte grinding sqreeching noise while driving that gets faster with speed

Old 12-02-2016, 05:24 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
The noise and pulling MAY be a separate issue, related to brakes. Just another thing to check while you're tearing into things.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:02 PM
kyle j
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
The noise and pulling MAY be a separate issue, related to brakes. Just another thing to check while you're tearing into things.
shouldnt be all brakes ball joints tierods ect new with moog parts less than 50 miles on them as well as re greased wheel bearings and u joints but will definitely check hopefully Tear into that side on Sunday or Monday

Old 12-05-2016, 08:45 PM
kyle j
Senior User
Well found the issue wasn't different related lots of carnage! Pictures to follow

Quick Reply: Help please 4x4 locking hub issue