QuickFuel 450 Update and Fix (suggest reading if you have one)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:18 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
QuickFuel 450 Update and Fix (suggest reading if you have one)

Hi all,

So, this is in reference to this post:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...50-issues.html

Well, after months of fighting with QuickFuel, it seems they've had a bit of a change up. Some change of management and staff, so the people I was struggling to deal with don't seem to be there anymore. The answering service now says they're Holley with an option to "press 1 for Holley parts, 2 for MSD ignition, 3 for QuickFuel" etc. as opposed to before where it was straight up QuickFuel.

Moving forward, the tech guy I spoke with was understanding of the issue, and had me send the carb in and that they'd go through it and fix it free of charge and pay for return shipping.

A day after it arrived, I got a call from them saying that they'd had a few adjustment changes to the 450s (which they did on mine) and that they'd tracked the issue down to the vacuum passageway through the baseplate for the powervalve. It was too restrictive, which didn't allow enough air flow to supply a proper amount of vacuum to hold the power valve closed at cruise, and is why I was getting flooded out. So, they drilled an assist passage in my baseplate and actually be updating their design.

They're shipping it back to me right now, so I'll update this post with pictures when it arrives. But, either way, it's something you wouldn't notice without an O2 sensor as it drives okay. You're just way richer at cruise than you think you are, which is why I was getting 9 - 10mpg on the open road. Basically, to fix it, they drilled a hole at an angle through the baseplate to allow more air through. Just be sure to drill the right direction so that you don't bypass the power valve protection checkball.

I guess that's what happens when you're arrogant. I told the previous guys I talked to that that was my exact conclusion about the carburetor. I'm guessing the black diamond coating they put on it reduced the diameter of the port and the checkball was too tight. They told me I didn't know what I was talking about.

Oh well, it's being fixed and is on its way back. I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing the difference.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I think you do know what you are talking about. And it seriously concerns me that they didn't know they were selling bad carbs when it wouldn't take much to find out.

Anyway, keep us posted.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:38 AM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AB: They should have offered you a job as a paid consultant!

Old 12-07-2016, 02:30 AM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I know what my problem is! Thanks AB!

Old 12-13-2016, 09:20 PM
AbandonedBronco
Alright, finally got around to reinstalling it on the engine tonight.

Also got a few pictures of the fix they did. For anyone who has one, to replicate this, remove the base plate screw next to the power valve hole. Then, drill down with a tiny drill at an angle until the checkball is visible. You don't need to remove the baseplate to do this (just the carb).

After I got it installed I took it out for a spin. It works like it should! No ultra rich condition at cruise. About 14.5 - 15.0 AFR around town, and around 14.0 - 14.5 at 75mph on the interstate. Finally!

A little laggy on accleration, but that's just accelerator pump tuning. But now I can finally get around to tuning it like normal. Only took 8 months.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:06 PM
H20cycle
New User
Sorry to hijack this thread AB but just needed to give a word of thanks to you for all of the unknown help you have given me with my F100 build. I had an old 240 that, with the guidance of yourself, this forum, and it's users, I built with 300 crank & rods, kept the 240 head, DUI dist, efi exhaust manifolds, offy intake, holley 600 (installing FiTech EFI as we speak) and am putting 300 ft lbs or torque to the rear wheels of the most reliable fun truck I have ever owned. Sincere thanks for all of the testing, experimenting, and posting!

Old 12-15-2016, 10:13 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
Alright, finally got around to reinstalling it on the engine tonight.

Also got a few pictures of the fix they did. For anyone who has one, to replicate this, remove the base plate screw next to the power valve hole. Then, drill down with a tiny drill at an angle until the checkball is visible. You don't need to remove the baseplate to do this (just the carb).

After I got it installed I took it out for a spin. It works like it should! No ultra rich condition at cruise. About 14.5 - 15.0 AFR around town, and around 14.0 - 14.5 at 75mph on the interstate. Finally!

A little laggy on accleration, but that's just accelerator pump tuning. But now I can finally get around to tuning it like normal. Only took 8 months.
Congrat's! I'm sure there is a big sense of accomplishment.

Originally Posted by H20cycle
Sorry to hijack this thread AB but just needed to give a word of thanks to you for all of the unknown help you have given me with my F100 build. I had an old 240 that, with the guidance of yourself, this forum, and it's users, I built with 300 crank & rods, kept the 240 head, DUI dist, efi exhaust manifolds, offy intake, holley 600 (installing FiTech EFI as we speak) and am putting 300 ft lbs or torque to the rear wheels of the most reliable fun truck I have ever owned. Sincere thanks for all of the testing, experimenting, and posting!
Welcome to FTE! You've witnessed the best forum going.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:56 PM
H20cycle
New User
Thanks Gary, it appears I have.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:03 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
You didn't say what year your F100 is, but there's a bit of info re the 1980-86 trucks on my web site.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:15 AM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by H20cycle
Thank you! I enjoy helping out, and documenting everything. These forums have saved me so much time, effort, and heartache from everyone else sharing what they know that it's good to pay it back.

It sounds like you have yourself a really nice build there. Keep us posted on how that FiTech EFI goes!

Old 12-23-2016, 10:47 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
I think I fixed my Carb problem....

Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2016, 10:56 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Mtphammer
Lol! Think you have enough CFM there? And, do you have a writeup on how it works in your build thread?

Old 12-23-2016, 11:02 PM
Mtphammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Lol! Think you have enough CFM there? And, do you have a writeup on how it works in your build thread?
I just got it working today. I'll hold off on a full write up until I know how it performs. So far so good though. Btw, Cfm is what I dream of. Not really, but it certainly will help utilize the huge intake valves flow.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:19 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I subscribed to your build thread to see the review.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:52 AM
AbandonedBronco
Originally Posted by Mtphammer
That ought to do it.
Looking forward to hearing how it does.

What is the CFM rating on that system?

Quick Reply: QuickFuel 450 Update and Fix (suggest reading if you have one)