S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

December All Topics - everyone's welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:39 AM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wpnaes
I feel a Camarillo get together is called for.

I'm there too.
Works for me

Might have to save up the fuel money

Old 12-10-2016, 11:30 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Yama4fitty
Recently had been having start issues and been digging under the hood. Replaced ICP, GPCM, replaced IPR screen, purchased a WiFi OBD reader and got Forscan for laptop and iPhone, cleaned EGR, and have some o-ring kits with an injector on order to polish some spool valves and troubleshoot one possibly bad injector. She smoking a ton after a hard start right now. Been learning a ton and having a decent time doing it.
Yama,
Have you run a live diagnostics test to determine the bad injector(s)?
You replaced the ipr screen. Did it show holes or debris to necessitate? The early hpop's are vulnerable to self destructing and sending debris out, some that can damage the ipr.
What's your icp oil pressure as you know you must see 525 lbs to start. Not easy to override on early models with the rear location of the icp.
I take it that you cleaned the egr valve? If so, how did it look? Totally dry and clean?
You might have a standpipe o ring leak but you'd need to start with an air pressure test and a stethoscope if that initial oil pressure is weak.
Quite a project to polish those spool valves, so I take it that stiction is a problem too?
I agree that with all of that smoke, a possible injector is one of the culprits.
Maybe more then just a day get together?

Old 12-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
Originally Posted by r2millers
Yama,
Have you run a live diagnostics test to determine the bad injector(s)?
You replaced the ipr screen. Did it show holes or debris to necessitate? The early hpop's are vulnerable to self destructing and sending debris out, some that can damage the ipr.
What's your icp oil pressure as you know you must see 525 lbs to start. Not easy to override on early models with the rear location of the icp.
I take it that you cleaned the egr valve? If so, how did it look? Totally dry and clean?
You might have a standpipe o ring leak but you'd need to start with an air pressure test and a stethoscope if that initial oil pressure is weak.
Quite a project to polish those spool valves, so I take it that stiction is a problem too?
I agree that with all of that smoke, a possible injector is one of the culprits.
Maybe more then just a day get together?
Hi Bob,

I got the Forscan for my phone and put on the laptop too. No other diagnostics other than a buzz test. Had the #5 and #8 not buzz. Checked wiring harness and no chaffing. Moved around the different connectors to different injectors and got #5 to buzz every time now, but #8 would not regardless which connector was on it. So not sure if a harness problem for #5. Have an injector on the way to assist in troubleshooting, if need be then replacement. ICP and pigtail were changed purely because of an oil leak that turned into a no start, which was first problem. Hard cold starts began some time later to now just puking white fuel smelling smoke once started. Synthetic oil changes, motorcraft fuel and oil filters, and couple quarts of Hotshots for the initial possible stiction. Used the Forscan to show good FICM volts, good Vref, ICP pressure is not 100% consistent but does build to 500-1500 most of the time relatively quickly. Batts load tested good and topped off as I have been playing around. EGR was dry and dirty, but not as bad as some videos I watched. Cleaned and seemed to work fine. IPR screen and rings were perfect, but replaced anyway so no obstruction or hang up there. Did the EGR and IPR since simple to do and everyone seemed to point at those just to count out as possibilities. GPCM was replaced because before the smoking I kept throwing a P0673 code, but glow plug and harness showed no opens, shorts and ohm'd within spec. Plus everything I read up showed GPCM. Fuel pulse width showing and never checked fuel pressure, just installed blue spring (still want to get a fitting and gauge just to be sure though).

I think I covered it all so far!!! I am sure I missed something. Been reading for months and doing this and that from videos and posts. Don't like to be a part swapper since that usually doesn't solve the initial cause of the problem.

-Chris

Last edited by Yama4fitty; 12-10-2016 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Fuel pulse and blue spring added.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:57 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

I've had to replace 3 injectors over the last 3 years, two that wouldn't spray and one that went bad "open", dumping fuel into the cylinder when not running.
When the open one went bad, I had to manually turn over the engine to ensure it didn't hydro lock and damage that cylinder before starting. Even if I let it set for 30 minutes, you could hear the initial "knock" of too much fuel accumulating in that cylinder.
Both times, I took it in for a live contribution test to clearly determine the injector. Cost me about a hundred bucks but well worth not guessing.
Maybe next step?

Old 12-11-2016, 11:57 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Hello California folks...enjoy your Sunday.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
I've had to replace 3 injectors over the last 3 years, two that wouldn't spray and one that went bad "open", dumping fuel into the cylinder when not running.
When the open one went bad, I had to manually turn over the engine to ensure it didn't hydro lock and damage that cylinder before starting. Even if I let it set for 30 minutes, you could hear the initial "knock" of too much fuel accumulating in that cylinder.
Both times, I took it in for a live contribution test to clearly determine the injector. Cost me about a hundred bucks but well worth not guessing.
Maybe next step?
I found out about the contribution tests recently and would definitely like to do that. I wasn't sure how to get my truck anyplace that could do it considering how much it's smoking. Read other's posts about burning up and blowing holes in pistons. I suppose I could have it towed, but then I'd have to have it towed back!! So, was hoping to just take a day and do up the spool valves all while keeping my fingers crossed and praying.

Was going to start looking into other less expensive options that can do the contribution test. Might be worth spending a bit of money now to perhaps save more later.

Originally Posted by IB Tim
Hello California folks...enjoy your Sunday.
Hello back at ya!! Will be enjoying this beautiful weather in the air.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:46 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Yama4fitty
Was going to start looking into other less expensive options that can do the contribution test. Might be worth spending a bit of money now to perhaps save more later.
I've only have experience with the IDS system with Ford and a local shop vs the AE but here's a current link for a bit more info.

Keep in mind the spool valve fix should help with stiction but not sure it will alleviate a non working injector. That spool valve moves back and forth between a positive and negative winding to open and close the oil pressure applied. Never heard of one incapacitating an injector completely.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16785004

Old 12-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
I've only have experience with the IDS system with Ford and a local shop vs the AE but here's a current link for a bit more info.

Keep in mind the spool valve fix should help with stiction but not sure it will alleviate a non working injector. That spool valve moves back and forth between a positive and negative winding to open and close the oil pressure applied. Never heard of one incapacitating an injector completely.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16785004
Thanks for the info. Been trying to keep notes of things I have been doing to the truck and researching before I do it. The spool valves on the injectors on the evens side seemed to be a "why not" thing since I might have to be replacing an injector and opening up that side anyway. Especially since stiction seemed to be the problem I was having well before the smoking problem. After an oil change and the Hotshots the truck ran GREAT for awhile before smoke started.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:59 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
This new truck is great! The Ecoboost is amazing. Got this Mpg mix of city and hwy. It's got a mild tune, otherwise stock.

This is a satirical post emphasising in the massive amount of Mpg talk in the Ecoboost world.

Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2016, 11:46 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 930 Likes on 678 Posts
I've been down that road a few times Trey. I recall downshifting to 2 to keep from going over the limit. Hope it was a great weekend!

hopefully you didn't have to fill up fuel at Furnace Creek, Stovepipe Wells or Panamint Valley.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:23 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Yeah, fuel gets kinda' "pricey" up there.

Pop

Old 12-12-2016, 10:00 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Some assembly required

Old 12-12-2016, 11:30 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Nitromethane in your future??

Or is this electro-chemically powered?

Pop

Old 12-12-2016, 11:48 PM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Its electric, brushless motor and lithium polymer batteries. very simular to my little buggy i built this time last year.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:05 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 930 Likes on 678 Posts
It looks fast!

Quick Reply: December All Topics - everyone's welcome!