1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 6.4 Priming Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:32 AM
JMW2008
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another 6.4 Priming Problem

I’m not new to diesels, although this is my first Ford. 2008 6.4L 165K miles full delete. Bought this truck at auction already deleted. Found an H&S pod mount instructions in glove box and so I’m thinkin it had their software loaded to it. I knew it had sat a while, but did fire up no problems. I have already replaced all fuel filters (actually learned I did them backwards, and did not cycle the key) and had no issues re-starting! I’ve put at minimum 30 minutes but no more than 1 hour run time on this thing post filter change. I’ll get to the gritty. . This all started when I pulled a P0201 code for Injector Cylinder 1. I pulled the valve cover to troubleshoot the injector, following a post I saw few days back. All checked out fine with the #1 compared with #3, and so I cracked loose the fuel line going to the #1 injector. The line was dry and thought it was strange, but I had changed out the FRP sensor prior and remember no fuel came out then either. Before pulling into the garage the truck was running rough –but thought this was due to a P0193 code FRP pressure Circuit High (again). So I put the line back on, tightened the darn out of it –I know these things see a 26K psi at times. I depressed the Schrader valve at the fuel cooler and got only a minute bit of air out. I didn’t think this was enough, and so I took the Schrader valve out, hard lesson learned. I re-installed it and I fashioned a homemade tool connected the Schrader valve with a ball valve to cycle the key-on and purge out the air. I have ran the batteries down cranking trying to get it to fire. I am now getting no more air bubbles –had to get another diesel pickup to keep juice on the batteries. After 3 hours, 6 hours total, cannot get this thing to fire off! Am I missing something simple? Everything I have done to this point before reading the forum I have done backwards and all has been fine! Could it be that just now I am seeing the effect of the filter change being done backwards? On my scanner I can see the live FRP, it has to be the cmd, it is sitting at 29Kpsi. At this point should I re-pull the filters and start fresh?

Old 12-05-2016, 09:00 AM
JMW2008
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It lives! I was able to locate a banjo bolt with 1/8" threads in the top. I used this on the high pressure side of the fuel cooler to bleed the air. I followed a sequence of cycling the key about 10 times initially and noticed I was not getting a whole lot of air anymore. I closed off the tubing I had attached and cranked it over for about 30 seconds. Still sputtering and not taking off, I opened the valve back open and cycled the key approx. 6 more times -more air came out. I repeated this a few more times and started getting frustrated. I was not getting any air whatsoever from the schrader valve.

I put my scanner back on, and had codes for injectors 1-3-5-7. The week prior, I had taken out the wet loom from the valvcover to inspect for wear, not seeing anything conclusive I put back in. Well, apparently I did not get the clasps in place and the engine harness was not totally seated making contact. I pulled the wet loom up further and put the EH back on that bank. Went back to the cab and cranked -it fired off. So, lesson learned on that connector.

After letting it idle for a few minutes I shut it off and began removing my tools and tubing. I noticed water seeping out from 2 different exhaust pipe connects. Checked the oil, and sure enough it was milky, degas bottle totally dry. I tried to top it off, but after 2 gallons and no end in sight I stopped. So backing up a month I had to replace a missing freeze plug between cylinders 3-5. So at this point I'm thinking HG's right, but doing some research I might be leaning towards the front cover or oil cooler. My reasoning -2 weeks ago when I had pulled the PCV breather tube going to the breather filter it was filled with water! I cant comprehend if it were the cooler or cover how the coolant would get into the exhaust. Degas bottle looks as if it had oil in it at one time.

I know this truck had sat for some time and so when I got it home I changed the oil and added seafoam, changed again. I will try to add a pic of the pass side valve cover. What are you guys hearing on HG's vs oil cooler vs front cover ?