Massachusetts Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: donjamer

Need a hand lining up my transmissions will pay cash, Ranger 2.9

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:54 AM
sexybluelady
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Need a hand lining up my transmissions will pay cash, Ranger 2.9

I am nearly done installing my transmissions back into my truck, but I've hit a snag. I can't wiggle it and push it to line up my bolt holes. It's a two person job at the least, maybe even three person. I'm strong for a small woman but I'm not that strong. Also I do not have a transmission jack, which makes it harder for me to try to push it around to line up the bolt holes.

What I am looking for is a super strong guy that can help me finish pushing this transmission in (it's off by about a inch 1/2). It is NOT on the ground it is up and almost attached to the motor. I was able to do that myself but the last leg is like I said at least a two person job.

I have $50 dollars if someone can swing by with a transmissions or a motorcycle jack and give me a hand with wiggling this thing around until the bolt holes line up.

My truck is a 88 Ranger 4x4 with a 2.9L
I live in East Springfield, Ma. By the Wilbraham border line.
Text me 413-330- zero seven sIX SIx.
Thanks

Old 11-30-2016, 09:37 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I take it that this is an automatic and if so did you make sure the torque converter is properly seated by pushing and spinning it until you feel it seat itself. Could be why you are having trouble. Would like to help you but a you're a little out of my reach..

Old 11-30-2016, 10:23 PM
sexybluelady
Junior User
It's a standard, and I need another person. I can not push it in and line it up at the same time. I've always done it with another person either wiggling it in or pushing it from the other end. If it was on a lift and I had a trans jack, that is a whole nother story. I've done trans swaps by myself on a lift all day long. But I can't do it by myself while laying under the truck on the ground and trying to bench press it myself.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:29 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bump, so someone closer to you might see this.

I've done the same thing on my 89 Ranger four times now and am looking at doing it again because the stupid clutch slave cylinder I just replaced failed... it's even more fun if you try to do it on a 4x4 with the transfer case still attached.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:35 AM
sexybluelady
Junior User
Yup that's the story of my life right now. I left the transfer case attached. It was easier for me to get it down that way and back up, believe it or not.

Ps. do NOT go with after after slave cly's for the Fords (or any vehicle) that have a concentric slave cly. It will drive you mad. Just spend the extra dough and get OEM or NAPA that sells the OEM with the metal housing. Stay away from those cheapie plastic ones from autozone or advanceautoparts or ebay. You will be stuck dropping the trans every damn year.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:32 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
It was a NAPA clutch slave cylinder that failed. To be honest it was only used for a short time but it wasn't exactly new when it failed, it was installed two years before it bit the dust. In between was a long period of not using it, it took over a year in between to swap in an newer Engine, transmission, transfer case, rear axle and re-gasket/seal them.... I probably should have just replaced it again while it was in pieces.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:26 AM
sexybluelady
Junior User
I know your pain. I had my bike and car sitting on jack stands for years while I was working on another project. And had to replace a ton of "new" parts since I had left them sitting for so long, after I had already replaced them before hand.

I have to many toys and not enough time to keep up with them all. haha

Old 12-02-2016, 10:13 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
I haven't tried it so I don't know if it will work... would using a ratchet strap or two from the top of each side of the frame under the transmission lift it enough to slide it forwards?

Something I do know helps, if you can get the transmission into a gear, any gear and put the transfer case in to 4X4 it helps immensely if you can turn the tail shaft or front driveshaft out-put by hand as you try to line things up... the input shaft is never timed with the clutch splines in my experiences.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:39 PM
sexybluelady
Junior User
Originally Posted by twigsV10
I haven't tried it so I don't know if it will work... would using a ratchet strap or two from the top of each side of the frame under the transmission lift it enough to slide it forwards?

Something I do know helps, if you can get the transmission into a gear, any gear and put the transfer case in to 4X4 it helps immensely if you can turn the tail shaft or front driveshaft out-put by hand as you try to line things up... the input shaft is never timed with the clutch splines in my experiences.
I've tried every trick in the book that I know. It's just a matter of I'm not strong enough to budge the thing by myself. I'm 5' 6" 139lb of amazon lady muscle (haha). I just need another strong person there. I put a post up on craigslist. Got a ton of hits, but you know how it goes when it's time for people to actually show up and do the work. That's a whole nother story. People want to get paid but don't want to work.
I just wish I had a damn lift and a trans jack, I would have been done in half a work day.I have a friend who is a big 6' 2" German guy, but he had surgery on his shoulder so he can't do much. I'll figure something out, I just need it done before snow fall.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:40 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Ba humbug, I'm 155lbs in my socks and 6'1" (not exactly a big guy) and have installed the transmission multiple times by myself with just a tall jack.... That said my weakness is I will not ask for help, even if it kills me.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:21 PM
sexybluelady
Junior User
Originally Posted by twigsV10
Ba humbug, I'm 155lbs in my socks and 6'1" (not exactly a big guy) and have installed the transmission multiple times by myself with just a tall jack.... That said my weakness is I will not ask for help, even if it kills me.
Good for you bro, I on the hand do not have a ego, and I know my limits. I can't bench press a transmission and I can not move a truck transmission that has a transfer case on it. I'm a confident woman, but I'm not going to act like I'm stronger than a big man, when I'm not. When I need help I need help. I do not have a problem asking. I rather ask for help and get the job done, vs having to walk in the snow and wait to take the bus for six hours a day. That's being smart, I need my back to hold out until old age. I know far to many mechanics that have broken or messed up backs and knees because they "refused to ask for help".

Old 12-03-2016, 10:12 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
.... And that is why you are wiser than me (honestly).

Old 12-03-2016, 10:17 PM
sexybluelady
Junior User
Lmao

Old 12-03-2016, 11:12 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
You pretty much nailed me to a T , wish you good luck finding help and with fixing your truck. They are fun little trucks to drive.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
Take a ride to town and check out anyone looking for a handout..... bet you can find SOMEONE who needs a few bucks!

Quick Reply: Need a hand lining up my transmissions will pay cash, Ranger 2.9