Sponsored by: DP Tuner

gpr leads

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:53 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
gpr leads

Just installed the relay and getn no signal to gp wires. My gpr-led bot lighting up. I'm getting 12v+ from the 2 little wires attached to each side of relay. Is that correct? If so, then the gpr is bad, right?

Old 11-28-2016, 10:59 PM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The relay is ground switched by the PCM. You can test (activate the GPR) by grounding the small lug to Battery (-) with KOEO. If you installed it correctly, it's the smaller post with just one wire attached to it.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:30 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Ok, so, with KOEO, both them little wires are hot/12v-ish. If so, that's what I'm getting, but nothing on the yellow/brn to gp's...

Old 11-29-2016, 06:15 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Both of those little wires are not hot, one is hot and the other is grounded through the PCM but only when glow plugs are called for. First thing, is it cold enough that the glow plugs are even called for? Second, is the truck itself cold enough, if the oil is warm glow plugs aren't necessarily called for by the PCM.

pirschwagon, would it harm anything if we ground that PCM lead to the block with a jumper wire to verify GPR operation?

Old 11-29-2016, 07:58 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Ok... Both them leads, orange and red are in fact hot with KOEO. I installed them exactly the way they came off the other relay, which that worked up until the other day. It was definitely cold enough last night for plugs to come on, considering the truck hasn't moved for 6+ hrs.

Thee only thing different is that, I reinstalled the AIH relay, thinking, I could now get my CCT test to work with Car Gauge Pro. Them writes(blue, hot lead, red n orange) had been wrapped up off to the side for years.... Can't think I got the little wires crossed up considering the way they exit the loom along with the length of them.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Alright, just tested the lugs, and the only one showing power is the 12v lug. Both the little lugs and the gp lug are 0v.
Same goes for the AIH relay. Just the 12v lug is hot

Old 11-29-2016, 10:09 AM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter

pirschwagon, would it harm anything if we ground that PCM lead to the block with a jumper wire to verify GPR operation?

Disconnect the ground wire, jump the lug to ground, KOEO the Solenoid Coil should close the circuit.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Words ain't gettin' it done for me. Do you have a way to edit photos? If so, it would be a lot easier for me to follow if you had a picture of your GPR, and you had callouts showing the volts you're seeing on each terminal.

If only I had the time - I could make a quick-ref picture.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:11 PM
johnsps250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Ok... Both them leads, orange and red are in fact hot with KOEO. I installed them exactly the way they came off the other relay, which that worked up until the other day. It was definitely cold enough last night for plugs to come on, considering the truck hasn't moved for 6+ hrs.
If you take the wires off both of the small lugs and read them one at a time (KOEO) you should find one has 12V and the other doesn't have anything. The reason your getting 12V on both to ground is because your reading through the coil.
I suspect you PCM isn't providing the path to ground to close the relay. Like Pirschwagon suggested the relay can be tested by applying 12+ to one small lug and grounding the other

Old 11-29-2016, 09:49 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil temp plays a role here. If the temp sensor has failed in a way that gives false high reading to the PCM, the glow plugs will not come on. So don't assume that the PCM is bad, just because the relay doesn't get a ground connection to the coil.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:07 PM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Originally Posted by retiredsparky
Oil temp plays a role here. If the temp sensor has failed in a way that gives false high reading to the PCM, the glow plugs will not come on. So don't assume that the PCM is bad, just because the relay doesn't get a ground connection to the coil.
Excellent point!

Glow Plug ON time is dependent on oil temperature and altitude. The Glow Plug relay comes on between 1 and 120 sec. and does not come on at all if oil temp is above 140F.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:04 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Messed with it tonight. Returned for only to find they don't have another in stock. So, installed my aih relay which fits knarly but the writes reach. With 12v installed, gpr wires installed, led wire installed, and both sets of little wires installed(2red, 1orange, 1purple) and a blue wire with big eye installed on gpr wire lug... The LED does not turn off! So, switched purple with red wire, and same thing. Does not turn off..removed all aih wires, even the blue on, and now the led does not come on....

Old 11-30-2016, 07:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
If the LED is oriented correctly, one lead should be connected to the same stud as the one with the glow plugs attached - and the other lead goes to ground.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:10 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
When messing with wire configurations, I found that my led bulb would light up with minimal voltage supplied to it, say 3v. Now, the one configure along with a certain(blue in pic) is the suspected one. Somehow, it stays with that much volts. It's the BLUE wire on the output lug, for the AIH relay.... What does that write feed? Say something about this photo

Old 11-30-2016, 08:13 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Them wires are now disconnected from the relay. There's no AIH relay in play, and still nothing. So, going to mess with orientation of the little wires for the AIH, installing them into the gpr relay, but leaving the big blue wire off. See if that does anything...

Quick Reply: gpr leads