Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Needing a new box and want tow mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 06:21 PM
01powerstroke73
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needing a new box and want tow mirrors

My name is trevor I'm 20 and this is my first diesel it's a 2001 f250 7.3 with 216,357 miles. This is my first post so don't bash if I do something wrong.
So I have a question I want newer heated tow mirrors with the turn signal is it possible and what do I have to do?
Second I need a new box would a new short box fit on my 2001 without doing any modifications or no? Any input is greatly appreciated?

Old 11-27-2016, 06:27 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
In 2011 the body lines changed but the box will bolt on. As far as mirrors I installed 2008 Ford mirrors on my truck and wired them up. There are several write up on here about the swap, do a search.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:26 PM
01powerstroke73
New User
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
In 2011 the body lines changed but the box will bolt on. As far as mirrors I installed 2008 Ford mirrors on my truck and wired them up. There are several write up on here about the swap, do a search.
thank you, I found a new Ford f250 that I can get the parts from.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ended up taping into the turn signal wires off the steering column for the turn signals. I am using parking lights to power the lights and then sent the signal out to a the NC connection on a 5 pin relay which makes and breaks the ground side of the mirror lights so that the lights are on with the headlights as marker lights but also blink with turn signal.

I used a 2013 bed on a long bed 2001 pickup and even though the body lines did not match, the bed still looked nice. If you use a bed off of a gas pickup 2011+ the filler part for the DEF on the new diesels is a big rubber gasket so it looks fine. Just be forewarned, Ford made the bed floor quite lighter on the floor since 01. I dented the floor with my boots stomping around in the 2013 bed while the 01 bed did not. I ended up using a heavier bedliner in the bed.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:43 PM
01powerstroke73
New User
Originally Posted by Dirtscooter250
I ended up taping into the turn signal wires off the steering column for the turn signals. I am using parking lights to power the lights and then sent the signal out to a the NC connection on a 5 pin relay which makes and breaks the ground side of the mirror lights so that the lights are on with the headlights as marker lights but also blink with turn signal.

I used a 2013 bed on a long bed 2001 pickup and even though the body lines did not match, the bed still looked nice. If you use a bed off of a gas pickup 2011+ the filler part for the DEF on the new diesels is a big rubber gasket so it looks fine. Just be forewarned, Ford made the bed floor quite lighter on the floor since 01. I dented the floor with my boots stomping around in the 2013 bed while the 01 bed did not. I ended up using a heavier bedliner in the bed.
Hahah i know a guy that dented his 2016 ford bed whill we were loading it with wood.
But the wiring for the mirrors isn't all that hard is it. I was thinkin 08 mirrors and like maybe 05 - 06 box the 2010 box I wanted is 14 hours away I'd rather not make that drive.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:34 PM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Originally Posted by 01powerstroke73
Hahah i know a guy that dented his 2016 ford bed whill we were loading it with wood.
But the wiring for the mirrors isn't all that hard is it. I was thinkin 08 mirrors and like maybe 05 - 06 box the 2010 box I wanted is 14 hours away I'd rather not make that drive.

The only reason I went with the new box was that it had 0 miles on it and was less than an older box. As far as wiring the mirrors; adding parking and signals was easy. If you are really particular you can even buy the crimper and terminal pins to make it plug and play (Pico makes the pins I believe). I just used adhesive lined heat shink but connectors and hope I don't need to take the mirror or door off. If I do I left enough wire to be able to make a new connection.

I do like my '08 mirrors more than the smaller tow mirrors but some of the lower convex mirrors are distorted if aftermarket unless you spend $$$$ on the Ford ones. I was going to pull the glass and replace with a genuine Ford one but have not gotten around to it.

I would get new bed bolts and captured nuts plus a few GOOD torx bits unless you grind the heads off or torch them. Even if your truck isn't rusty all of the ones I have tried break the bits easily.

Attached pic of my 01 with 13 bed and 08 mirrors

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2016, 09:43 PM
01powerstroke73
New User
The only reason I went with the new box was that it had 0 miles on it and was less than an older box. As far as wiring the mirrors; adding parking and signals was easy. If you are really particular you can even buy the crimper and terminal pins to make it plug and play (Pico makes the pins I believe). I just used adhesive lined heat shink but connectors and hope I don't need to take the mirror or door off. If I do I left enough wire to be able to make a new connection.

I do like my '08 mirrors more than the smaller tow mirrors but some of the lower convex mirrors are distorted if aftermarket unless you spend $$$$ on the Ford ones. I was going to pull the glass and replace with a genuine Ford one but have not gotten around to it.

I would get new bed bolts and captured nuts plus a few GOOD torx bits unless you grind the heads off or torch them. Even if your truck isn't rusty all of the ones I have tried break the bits easily.
I was gonna get new bolts for the box anyways thanks for the Input. Can't wait to start my project.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:43 PM
01powerstroke73
New User

Ford mus have not changed much lol damn that looks really good

Old 11-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Hey Trevor, welcome to FTE.

If you go to the Excursion forum and click on the Excursion Forum Tech Folder "Read First" sticky thread and scroll down to the section covering the tow mirrors, you will find a few "how-to's" with pictures helping you with the install and wiring.

Also, just FYI, but you should call the truck bed a bed, not a box. Calling it a bed will be less confusing and more precise, because we all know what the bed is, but when I saw the title of your thread, I thought you needed a new steering box.

Stewart

Old 11-28-2016, 12:20 PM
01powerstroke73
New User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Hey Trevor, welcome to FTE.

If you go to the Excursion forum and click on the Excursion Forum Tech Folder "Read First" sticky thread and scroll down to the section covering the tow mirrors, you will find a few "how-to's" with pictures helping you with the install and wiring.

Also, just FYI, but you should call the truck bed a bed, not a box. Calling it a bed will be less confusing and more precise, because we all know what the bed is, but when I saw the title of your thread, I thought you needed a new steering box.

Stewart

Hahah as I'm so use to saying box but alright thanks I'll check it out I'm also thinking flatbed still debating. Thanks again

Old 11-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Hahah as I'm so use to saying box but alright thanks I'll check it out I'm also thinking flatbed still debating. Thanks again
Check out Dave. He added a flatbed to his. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16420666

Stewart

Old 11-28-2016, 12:41 PM
01powerstroke73
New User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Check out Dave. He added a flatbed to his. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16420666

Stewart
thanks for the link I'm gonna check it out

Old 11-29-2016, 08:25 PM
1leg
Senior User

I would like to know the tire and wheel package your running. You can PM me if you want, Thanks

Old 11-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by 1leg
I would like to know the tire and wheel package your running. You can PM me if you want, Thanks
I want to know too!

Old 11-30-2016, 03:25 PM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Hijack:
Believe it or not, those are factory Lariat wheels painted flat black, factory chrome hubcaps and 285 Wrangler Duratracs. Other than the tires, cost me only in paint/plastidip. Honestly I dipped them because they were starting too clearcoat peel and look bad and I didn't want to spend money on re clearing them.

Disengage hijack:
I have both a flatbed and pickup. Personally the flatbed wins as far as utility, I don't worry about dents in the bed from idiots that can't park (I back in so their doors are typically alongside the rub rail), I don't worry about dents in the bed floor (3/16" steel floor), it has a sunken hitch box so I can carry straps/buckets/etc and they won't roll out, and best of all I can carry way more tools, chains and jacks without taking up any bed space (I have 4 toolboxes hanging underneath flatbed). The visibility off the rear flank is quite a bit better when maneuvering tight quarters too.

Quick Reply: Needing a new box and want tow mirrors