Add Bluetooth to 6-Disc Stacker?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 02:05 PM
chrison600
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add Bluetooth to 6-Disc Stacker?

Hi all,

I've launched a few threads in here as I do research on upgrading my audio and I've run into another question. Looking into the current crop of head units it struck me that maybe the traditional head unit is obsolete in as much as a mobile device can serve as the source and a separate amp can drive the speakers. However, if I don't want to delve into the external amp at the moment, my choices seem to be: 1) New head unit; 2) Integrate mobile device into existing head unit.

My truck (2001 X Limited) has the 6-disc stacker with no apparent Aux input. Doing some research here I've found the company that retrofits aux and Bluetooth capabilities to OE head units (1 Factory Radio). I've also found a Metra adapter harness that adds an "ISO" Bluetooth connection to a factory Ford harness.

The limitation of the 1 Factory Radio Bluetooth is that is supports phone only. So if I chose that route I'd do the Aux modded unit and add one of the Bluetooth hands-free Aux adapters available on Amazon. That seems like a long way round to Bluetooth phone/audio and still end up with an OE head/amp in the dash, driving it all.

The Metra harness I'm not sure about. According to Crutchfield, the only Bluetooth product they offer for that harness is Parrot, which I'm not 100% thrilled about. Is there factory Ford Bluetooth equipment that will connect to the Metra harness and provide phone and audio integration?

Considering I'm going to likely add the JL Stealthbox to the center console and will need to have a Sub takeoff, I'm starting to think a new head unit is about the only way to get this done.

Perhaps I should add a cheap, single-DIN Bluetooth capable head unit and branch from there.

This post is very fragmented, sorry for that. I think if I could find phone/audio Bluetooth that would integrate via the Metra harness, and a Sub takeoff tapped into the rear 1/4 channels, I'd go that direction.

Thanks for everyone helping me...

Chris

Old 11-27-2016, 02:42 PM
chrison600
Senior User
Welp - I found a PIE product that would add an Aux input via the external CD changer connection. When I went out to test to see if my head unit was compatible, I found it gave the "CD Error" message. Yea! So my head unit's pretty much crap I guess. Unless that Metra Bluetooth harness can rescue it...

Chris

Old 11-27-2016, 03:26 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
I tried the same thing for my 2004. I ended up going with this:

https://www.carjoying.com/us-warehou...r-gps-rad.html

With backup cam and dash cam. Arrived the other day and will have it installed during Christmas vacation if possible. Others here have installed similar same sized units, so shouldn't be that hard.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:20 PM
pkthomas
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am wanting one of these:

https://www.carjoying.com/head-unit/universal-car-head-units/10-1-double-din.html

The bigger display looks like it would work in our trucks.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:55 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
The one I linked to has 2 gig ram and is the newest, supposedly. You may want/need that extra ram.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:07 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Getting rid of the 6 disc changer is step #1, if you really appreciate the convenience of streaming audio. NOT going that route, any adapter is limited by the SQ processing of the factory HU. You want to stream audio, so ditch the Ford 6 disc clunker.

Decision #2 is how valuable is a big screen, built in Nav, bells, whistles, etc. Do you need that whole space filled?

There are single din digital HU's, had for a steal, that blow the 6 disc away. All the inputs/outputs you'd need.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:38 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
They suggested the single din units when I sent them my info and pictures. It was the 2 gig and it has the same dimensions some have already installed here that made my decision. My first android phone only had 1 gig and was so bloated you couldn't really load any new apps. Just my thoughts.

I will BT and turn on Hotspot for enabling internet to the headunit. I have both Torque and FORScan Lite to monitor with. I usually use Google for everything (Nav/email/search/text) and stream music as well. I am also using one of the Torque recommended BT adapters for the fastest and power saving features. The ScanTool MX BT.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:46 PM
fbascom
New User
Lightflyer. I am looking to order the new radio. What parts did you order?

How do you think that the new 2 g 10" units would look?

Thanks

Jerry

2005 Excursion

Old 11-27-2016, 11:05 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
I ordered that headunit and the cables and such that came with it. Also the backup cam and dashcam and their associated cabling that comes with it. There may need to be used a metra harness to enable steering controls but I am not sure yet. It is a generic thing though and readily available online. As far as size I couldn't tell you anything. I haven't opened the boxes yet as I just returned from a cruise. But others here have detailed what they have done. I will have mine professionally installed with those as a guide to what I want and what they can do. I am happy with an 8" screen.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:37 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
I'm not lightflyer, but will say an 8" screen will be a squeeze, and even much more for a 10". The X dash bezel is only so big. I put a 7" full function 2 din in mine a few years ago. It filled the hole nicely. Integration was easy.

Android radios have serious potential, but still lack fundamental functionality for automotive applications, AFAIC. When I'm driving I need to listen to my music, easily change inputs to the HU through my wheel, figure out where I'm going, and communicate with my next appointment. The rest is fluff.

Nav is a waste, IMHO. Our phones are better, faster, more accurate, and as long as you are connected via BT, work better. A glance at the dash, or your connected device, is still a distraction. If you want gauges, get dedicated gauges. I moved my OBDII reader to my new car, and still barely use it.

Bottom line, prioritize your necessities, and build from there.

Spend more money on speakers, and amps.The STW ratio pays off better! LOL

Old 12-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Aaron_Jones
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lightflyer
I tried the same thing for my 2004. I ended up going with this:

https://www.carjoying.com/us-warehou...r-gps-rad.html

With backup cam and dash cam. Arrived the other day and will have it installed during Christmas vacation if possible. Others here have installed similar same sized units, so shouldn't be that hard.
That looks very nice!

Old 12-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
If you have rear dvd you can source a cable that plugs into the face of the dvd with rca ends that has the correct end at the other end of the cable that plugs into your phone. Then just switch to dvd/cd on the head unit.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:30 PM
JKTex
Junior User
Originally Posted by Blakshukvw
If you have rear dvd you can source a cable that plugs into the face of the dvd with rca ends that has the correct end at the other end of the cable that plugs into your phone. Then just switch to dvd/cd on the head unit.
That's what I did, many years ago and it's stil working great today. However I ran the cable form the rear screen, through the roof to a pillar and up to where the connector comes out of the trash bag hook on the dash. I used it that way for many years without any issues.

Back in July however, I added a cheap BT adapter that's working great! The aux cable I ran to the front, it now secured behind the dash connected to the new BT unit, with the BT button/mic mounted on the dash to the left of the AC and head unit. It works great, and can connect multiple BT devices. I often run the Toruqe app with an ODB BT adapter and my phone. It works great for speak phone (through the OEM head unit) and voice to text too.

This is the one I put in my truck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an aside, my OEM headunit CD function has retired. I had a CD sent to me prior to release and instead of ripping it, I was going to listen to it the old fashion way, but the HU just gives me CD error, which sounds like isn't unusual!

Old 12-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
That's cool. That device uses a radio station on your stereo to broadcast correct?
My stereo doesn't wanna put out volume most of the time nowadays.