1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Front Axle Dust Excluder Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 09:10 AM
dwbaily
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Axle Dust Excluder Seal?

I understand that the B-series Mazda is a Ford Ranger with different name badges for the most part so I post this here to see if any of you guys can help out. Am about to tear into my '02 B4000 4x4 front suspension to replace those seals that I understand are officially called excluder seals. It's those seals that the CV axle goes thru in the knuckle/spindle. Mine started making a crunching type noise and I can make it stop temporarily by sticking a screwdriver in from the back and move the seal but it comes back eventually so am gonna rip into it and replace both sides. My service manual, if I'm interpreting it correctly, makes it appear they are called knuckle oil seals and calls for a couple of special tools (205-399 and 205-400) to install them. Does anybody know if these are the same seals I'm describing above? Here are some pix of the area where the seal goes from both sides, passenger and driver's. One side has the seal ripped out and the other side is still in there. Its right in that gap where the CV axle is going thru the knuckle/spindle into the hub assembly. Also a pic of the 2 different seals that are "supposed" to be for the truck. The shredded one is the one that got ripped out and the other larger one is what I bought that appears to fit into the hole in the knuckle. At least that's what the Mazda on-line parts store lists. I bought the smaller ones and they appear to be the one that got ripped out. What's really weird is that it doesn't appear there is one of the larger one is in there unless you have to pull it apart and would see if from the outboard side. I may be wrong because I haven't torn it apart yet.

Attached Images      

Last edited by dwbaily; 11-25-2016 at 09:12 AM. Reason: subscribe
Old 11-26-2016, 10:09 AM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
When I inspected and lubed my CV half-shafts I replaced the excluder seals. Wasn't a big deal, I used a block of wood and rubber mallet to tap the new seals into place working my way around. Make sure they're fully seated so they don't spin on the outer CV cup.

you'll need to make sure the inside of the knuckle where the seal contacts is cleaned up. I had to wire-brush and sandpaper to get everything shiny. Then pack plenty of grease in.

The number I used for my 2002 was YL2Z-3K070-AA, might be different for your Mazda though.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:32 PM
dwbaily
New User
Originally Posted by 02FX4Dude
When I inspected and lubed my CV half-shafts I replaced the excluder seals. Wasn't a big deal, I used a block of wood and rubber mallet to tap the new seals into place working my way around. Make sure they're fully seated so they don't spin on the outer CV cup.

you'll need to make sure the inside of the knuckle where the seal contacts is cleaned up. I had to wire-brush and sandpaper to get everything shiny. Then pack plenty of grease in.

The number I used for my 2002 was YL2Z-3K070-AA, might be different for your Mazda though.
Thanks for the info/tips. Knocked it out. Took like 4 hours to do but got it done. It wound up being the smaller of the 2 seals. Couldn't figure out if the larger one needed to go into the bore of the spindle or not so didn't install it. The smaller one fits onto the end of the CV axle that goes thru the spindle. I'm thinking over time you'd need to pull everything off to expose that seal, clean it up and regrease it. I saw where the little metal ring that's built into the seal could rub against the inside of the spindle and cause the screeching sound so many have complained about. A regrease would most likely fix that if the seal is still intact. If not, a fairly easy replacement. I used a 2" PVC coupler to tap it in place and all square. So we'll see if anything exposes itself down the road. All in all not a bad job and one you could easily do if you have a torque wrench that can go up to 200 ft/lbs and a large enough socket to get the axle nut off. A pickle fork or ball joint remover would help to separate the ball joints. Also highly suggest replacing the axle nut instead of trying to reuse the old one. Its made in a way where its only gonna hold good once. Obvious when you look at it and more obvious when you try and screw in on. Cheers.