2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

toolbox/transfer tank combo in '17

Old 11-20-2016, 06:03 AM
hoosierbill
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toolbox/transfer tank combo in '17

Has anyone mounted a toolbox/transfer tank combo in '17 short bed yet? I will have a gooseneck ball so have to be careful to not take up too much bed space. Not sure if I can take measurements from my '12 and think new bed will be the same. So far, the only manufacturer that I have found that carries combos that are only 20" wide is RDS Aluminum. Either Model 71925 (open nozzle and hose) or 73326 (contained) only come out 20" and have a decent sized box. I have not owned a transfer tank before, and used weatherguard boxes, but know using 5 gallon cans not a good idea for routinely fueling equipment. Truck (F350 CCSB) supposed to be delivered in next couple of weeks so need to get one ordered soon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-20-2016, 06:27 AM
DL222
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put the RDS #74026 in my truck. The problem I had was the length of the tank. I had a 60gal that was 57" long but for me it was not enough room to work with.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:31 AM
bobsplus
Senior User
I've got the 60 gallon from my 2011, had a width problem in my old truck as it was a short bed, now that I have a LB, should fit right in, will give me 108 gallons total.....nice.......

Old 11-20-2016, 08:07 AM
hoosierbill
Freshman User
Thanks so much for the information. The 71925 is 57" long, so you thought that didn't give you eough room from side to side?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:17 AM
DL222
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hoosierbill
Thanks so much for the information. The 71925 is 57" long, so you thought that didn't give you eough room from side to side?
Yes in my opinion. If you look there's offsets on both sides of the bed at the bottom. Makes it very hard to get to if you use the gravity feed.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:20 AM
hoosierbill
Freshman User
Thank you DL222. I now see that you are using it as an auxillary tank in your application. I will just be using as tank to transfer fuel to equipment, so will not have to run line to the factory truck tank. Thanks again.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Jace2016
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone mounted a toolbox/transfer tank combo in '17 short bed yet? I will have a gooseneck ball so have to be careful to not take up too much bed space. Not sure if I can take measurements from my '12 and think new bed will be the same. So far, the only manufacturer that I have found that carries combos that are only 20" wide is RDS Aluminum. Either Model 71925 (open nozzle and hose) or 73326 (contained) only come out 20" and have a decent sized box. I have not owned a transfer tank before, and used weatherguard boxes, but know using 5 gallon cans not a good idea for routinely fueling equipment. Truck (F350 CCSB) supposed to be delivered in next couple of weeks so need to get one ordered soon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I have the gooseneck/5th wheel hitch in mine as well. I had the RDS in my last truck and it worked great for an auxiliary tank for the pickup to have extra fuel. THE FUEL BOX I'm putting in my new truck, which is the same as your truck (350-CCSB), is what I'm using this time. I like the quality of the box much better and the fit/finish is much nicer too. I'm adding the optional auto fuel controller/gauge/pump that will tell me how much fuel is left in the tank and when on auto mode will automatically add fuel when your pickup factory tank gets down to 1/4 tank and shut off up between 3/4 & full. You can use the manual mode to add fuel as well. In addition to that, the FUEL BOX, has an optional transfer pump which I added that has the hose and nozzle to fill equipment which I see you are interested in doing. The one I ordered has a 6" toolbox on top of a 57 gallon tank and sits flush (actually 1.5" down) from the top of your bed rails. Another option I added to the tank is their in-house brand of "Line-X" which closely resembles Fords. The tank looks great without it but I like it with. These tanks are 100% aluminum as well made in many configurations such as a deeper toolbox with less tank etc., etc. This company is out of Visalia, Ca. so you may have shipping costs to consider as well. This box is expensive but in my opinion is worth it once you see the quality of the box. This box is available in smooth finish or diamond plate. The pics are the box sitting in my bed to check fitment and before the Line-X coating. Final install will be done this coming Wednesday & I can get your more pics.

Box-----------------------------1250
Line-X inside & out--------------200
Auto fill/pump/gauge-----------350
Transfer pump/hose/nozzle----450
Install----------------------------200

Old 11-20-2016, 05:06 PM
Bassboatman
Junior User
Are most guys adding these aux tanks for increased range, or to refuel equipment? Also do these tanks make the truck ride better when they are full? I was unsure if the added weight would make them ride better as they are right behind the cab??

Old 11-20-2016, 06:30 PM
hoosierbill
Freshman User
WoW! Thank you Jace2016. I thought I had researched it to Nth degree. But your Fuelbox looks really nice (fit and finish, etc) so am back to looking! I got on their website and checked out the Fuelbox. The model FTC 60 looks closest to the RDS 73326 that was top pick. Only negative I see is that on the RDS the fueling line, pump and hose has its own spot. Did you have that on your RDS or just use for auxillary tank? I just want the tank to transfer fuel to machinery, not to the truck tank. Also, toolbox size is important to me being a general contractor. The more items I can squeeze into the toolbox the better... Thanks again!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:00 PM
Jace2016
Elder User
WoW! Thank you Jace2016. I thought I had researched it to Nth degree. But your Fuelbox looks really nice (fit and finish, etc) so am back to looking! I got on their website and checked out the Fuelbox. The model FTC 60 looks closest to the RDS 73326 that was top pick. Only negative I see is that on the RDS the fueling line, pump and hose has its own spot. Did you have that on your RDS or just use for auxillary tank? I just want the tank to transfer fuel to machinery, not to the truck tank. Also, toolbox size is important to me being a general contractor. The more items I can squeeze into the toolbox the better... Thanks again!
My RDS did not have the ability to transfer fuel. I do believe they make them though that do. I want that option now. The guys at Zylstra (makers of FuelBox) seem open to make whatever changes you want. I was happy with my RDS but am really impressed with Zylstra's auto-refueling ability and the transfer set up as well. Everything is concealed and has a clean look. Fit & finish is top notch. These guys have a a few different options on the size of the toolbox which I like. They make a box that sets on top of the rails and has a 70 gallon tank. They also make a box that's flush and has 20" deep toolbox and still holds 43 gallons of fuel which is impressive. Many many options with these guys. They also sell tool boxes for over the wheel wells etc. Smooth finish or diamond plate, Line-X coated or raw aluminum on everything they build. The truck refueling is just an option so it's not something you necessarily have to have. For me, I like the option in case I'm out in the field (sometimes miles from any gas station) of sending fuel to my truck as well. With the transfer pump a guy could easily just pump it into the truck if needed though. Another reason I want it to transfer to the truck is when towing heavy loads your range is rather short with only 25 (on a short bed) gallons of fuel before having to look for a station or stop to manually transfer fuel from your tank. Out in the desert here on the west coast you can be 100 miles from fuel. The downside of this Fuel Box is the cost, it is pricey. My box, diamond plate finish, covered in Line-X material inside & out, auto refueling control box with gauge, transfer pump, and installation came out to 26-2700 bucks. If I remember correctly I bought my RDS for less than 1000 and built everything else myself on the last truck. I'll post pics after the install on Wednesday morning to give you a better idea of this box. Look for them Wednesday afternoon I'll try to have them here on this thread for you to check out. Good luck on whichever way you go and if I can help out with anything on this end let me know. I'm about 25 miles from these guys here in Visalia, Ca.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:13 PM
Jace2016
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bassboatman
Are most guys adding these aux tanks for increased range, or to refuel equipment? Also do these tanks make the truck ride better when they are full? I was unsure if the added weight would make them ride better as they are right behind the cab??
Some only use these tanks as extra range on their trucks while towing and others like the OP of this thread need the ability to refuel equipment. In my case I want the best of both worlds so I will have the option for both. My tank will primarily refuel my truck. I drive a lot of miles so constant refueling can be time consuming and not practical when out in BFE. When towing the extra capacity is really nice. You don't have to worry about squeezing into a small gas station or finding a truck stop your rig can get into with whatever you are towing. The tanks alone don't weigh much at all because they are aluminum so when empty they don't make a difference in ride at all but when full at 55 gallons on mine it does help make the ride a little smoother.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:21 PM
WolfFox
Senior User
Yeah, but 2,700 for the Fuel Box? WoW!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:50 PM
Jace2016
Elder User
Originally Posted by WolfFox
Yeah, but 2,700 for the Fuel Box? WoW!
It's 1250, the rest of that price is added options. Here's the breakdown again....

FuelBox.................1250 (diamond plate-smooth aluminum is +50)
Line-X.....................200 (matches Fords inside box and out)
Auto fill pkg.............350 (automatically refills the truck when low w/digital gauge)
Transfer pump.........400 (to fill equipment)
Installation..............200 (worth it to me)

Taxes at 8.25% on that account for the rest. The box alone is 1250.

It is clearly not the cheapest option however it's a higher quality box than the ones I've had in the past. RDS was my last one.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:57 AM
hoosierbill
Freshman User
Thanks Jace 2016. Look forward to seeing your pictures when you have the tank installed.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:10 AM
STROKE'IN
Senior User
I have had this in my last two vehicles and love them. They custom build them here in Texas. They have some for short beds and also long beds. The last one I owned was a 70gal tank.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: toolbox/transfer tank combo in '17