Sponsored by:

Ranger IFS in a Bronco?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 03:56 PM
Gord's-Fords
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranger IFS in a Bronco?

Thinking out loud, possible? Anyone binderdundat? Wondering bout the track, not worried bout the frame, professional welder here. Thanks

Old 11-19-2016, 04:41 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't know if you're thinking about the earlier Ranger TTB or the later IFS, but a minute with Google tells me the Bronco has a 57" track and a 2011 Ranger has a 58.5" track. I'd guess that earlier Rangers would be narrower if anything.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:18 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
remove solid axel/go IFS

If you've had alot of suspension mod experience I say Go Ferit!
(I'm widya on lack of worries 4 track length.)

If you seek quality input U may wanna see that forum on the CB site. I'm sure there's been a few who've gone that route over there.

If not I'll add my thought - I understand bolts might B beddah than welds)
- with out that experience U may not B able to keep tires on the EB.

Good luck and plez share your experience as U go along!
( We Luv Pic ! )

Old 11-20-2016, 02:52 PM
Gord's-Fords
Freshman User
Thanks. I was not aware of two different suspension on the rangers. I thought they just had the twin I-beam set-up and that was where my thoughts were. I just got quite excited with the new steel bronco bodies and thought of building one. A fuelie 5.0 of course but then started thinking of smoothing the ride and that twin I-beam popped into my head. I comprehend the importance of the bolts in certain areas, but the frame modifications would be welding and no pablum. Not certain what u mean by "CB" site. Thanks again.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:49 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
CB & suspension schemes

classic broncos dot com
Jeff's Bronco Graveyard (MI) a used prts / new prts / restorer started an on line forum 20 yrs ago that may have B come the premier bronk (EB) site on the net. I have a 1/2 cab he shipped 29 yrs ago for $200.
Go 2 da "suspension" forum.

"…fuelie…"
I've heard that term used with a specific motor from 60 yrs ago used in specific racing enviornments. Can U detail the meaning, plez?

"...the twin I-beam set-up…"
TTB may not B the best 4 off rd applications, but that might not B ur designed use?

Old 11-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Gord's-Fords
Freshman User
Thanks, I'll check out the site.

i could be wrong, but my comprehension is the term was concerning injected alcohol cars, but round here it's just slang for fuel injection vs a carb.

Thinking more of a driver with limited off-road-capacity. Kinda like that HUMMER in the cars movie, "But I've never been off-road!" lol.

Actually I'd like to make something to look like the 2017 in the old style. So front end will be fine. I'm running that style front end in a 95 F-150 and its been awesome for what I use it.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:49 PM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gord's-Fords
Thinking out loud, possible? Anyone binderdundat? Wondering bout the track, not worried bout the frame, professional welder here. Thanks
I had a 1983 ford ranger 4x4 with ttb front end and 31" tires it had a 2.3l 4cylinder and a 4spd. After about 2yrs the motor went and I replaced it with an 1985 5.0 out of a mustang. That little front end could not keep a ring gear in it at all went trough at least 4 that I remember. I think you would be going backwards with that swap I would run a Dana 44 with a long travel setup

Old 02-26-2017, 07:52 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
A Ranger TTB would definitely be a step (or more) down in stregth from a stock Bronco Dana 44 (or probably even the earlier Dana 30). If the OP is planning on USING 4WD, then no, he shouldn't do this. But if he's looking for more of a fun street toy that at least doesn't lose the ability to have 4WD it might not be completely riduculous (as much as some of us hate to admit it, most Broncos these days aren't used off-road anyway).

If he is going to use it and really wants to do it, then a Dana 44 TTB swap from an '80 - '96 F-150 or Bronco might be a better option. A quick Google search tells me that that would have a track width of 65.4", so that might be more difficult to make fit, but people to build those for desert racing and they can make incredible front ends.

And to the OP, Twin I Beam is a 2WD suspension. Twin Traction Beam (abbreviated TTB) is the 4WD variant.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:02 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
frnt end change - what app?, Y the effort?

bronk71 has it for the swap - SAS (solid axel swap) as the most often done to these rigs but that's really to up the ante on off rd 4WD,
TTB did not get alota luv in it's first decade or so but plenty likem now 4 just what U seek…
I;m ignorant & therefore would look up what the design was produced for and compare that to what application I wished to achieve. There's M A N Y designs for frnt ends & if goin w/a redesign U may wanna understand a few to find the best for your application, budget, wrenchin capacity, etc…

"...have a track width of 65.4", so that might be more difficult to make fit,…"
'cut & turn' is easy 4 U welders as "it's all there" when out, between the 2 rigs.

Again: Good Luck, Let us know how U go, we (I) luv pic!