Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Engine Skid Plates or Splash Shields?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:10 AM
Thorium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j.grif
Thorium, I use the quarter car wash, on rinse only, I direct no soap underneath, I don't get close to anything with the wand, my preferences are to hit it with a garden hose and just flush with clear water, you can do some damage with a pressure washer, nothing wrong with a rinse once in a while.
In the rust belt, they are going to corrode, in Arizona, they will look like new at ten years old, in Michigan, especially in wayne county, they grow old quick, I don't care too much what it looks like underneath as long as it's not disintegrating. As far as the rubberized fabric, I think that is to direct air through the radiator and condenser coils, on my 2012, that stuff was starting to tear where the plastic push pins went through it, I have not looked that hard at the 2015, they changed the hood grill arangement and you don't have the access you did in the older trucks.
Thanks j.grif for your reply, will do the same as im in the "rust belt" also, i just never in past needed to do any engine bay washes.

I believe we're talking about the same part, it has a single push pin in the front that the fabric has been broken by i guess wind flowing through the front of the truck, mine feels like felt/fabric as opposed to rubberized fabric(perhaps change of year), i poked a new hole further back where there was some more "meat" and got the pin back into the hole to secure it. I will get this to the dealer as to what the heck its for and get them to fix or just get rid of it if its useless.

Originally Posted by Tom
A bit off-topic, but those aren't power steering lines. These trucks use electric power steering, which means the only lines going to the rack are two heavy gauge wires.
Thanks Tom for clearing that up for me, i have 2 lines that are aluminum tube and then transition to rubber that come from the lower part of the truck, they eminate from shall i say square looking box mounted very low on the passenger side and head somewhere to the front/rad area, if you look at j.grif's picture its similar to the 2 lines on the left of his pic. I do not know what these 2 lines are, i just "assumed" that they were for the steering. I will follow them to see where they actually go when i get a chance. Cheers.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:16 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thorium, I don't raise the hood, I don't mind a little dust on the engine or in the engine compartment, but I will use a garden hose once in the while, power wash from the underside but not directing it, too many electronic doodads that are water sensitive, my objective is to get the salt off!

Old 12-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Truck Hardware
Former Vendor
We carry a 3 piece skid plate set up. Up here in Canada we have seen many of the felt liner engine covers fall off due to snow or mud build up. This is a great set up, i'll try to see if i have a installed picture. Here's a link:
https://www.truckhardware.ca/products/792

Old 12-31-2016, 01:19 AM
Thorium
Senior User
Originally Posted by Truck Hardware
We carry a 3 piece skid plate set up. Up here in Canada we have seen many of the felt liner engine covers fall off due to snow or mud build up. This is a great set up, i'll try to see if i have a installed picture. Here's a link:
https://www.truckhardware.ca/products/792
Ive posted your link earlier, your prices have changed i see??

Im just glad i can post again, ive been locked out of this site for some reason, i reported this problem to to the main site with no remedy and could not report to any mod due to some kind of problem, i have no idea what was or what went wrong. Glad to be back with Yah'll.