Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck rolls a little when put in park/parking brake on.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 01:40 AM
RJ sheedy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck rolls a little when put in park/parking brake on.

Hey guys i have a 1992 ford f350 460. Whenever i live on a coldesac so there is an incline. Whenever i park i put the truck in park parking brake on and release brake pedal. Truck always seems to roll forward just a touch Is this normal ? I also accidentally drove with the parking brake on like a retard. Oops. But it has always done this even before my idiot mistake.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:23 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If you drove with the brake on I would at least manually adjust the rear brakes.
​​​​​​​Since it did this before, I would check that the parking brake cables are not frozen (rusted internally)

Old 11-14-2016, 06:05 AM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
(Asssuming it's an automatic) And its only a little bit of roll it's perfectly normal. We have 6 vehicles in our yard and everyone of them moves a little after releasing the brake pedal.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 AM
exranger06
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastback460
(Asssuming it's an automatic) And its only a little bit of roll it's perfectly normal. We have 6 vehicles in our yard and everyone of them moves a little after releasing the brake pedal.
It's normal IF you're not using the parking brake. OP says the truck rolls even with the parking brake on, which is NOT normal. It sounds to me that the parking brake isn't doing anything, and the only thing holding the truck in place is the pawl in the transmission.

OP, you should put the trans in neutral and engage the parking brake and see what happens. If the truck starts rolling downhill, then the parking brake is not working. The parking brake should be able to easily hold the truck still, even on a hill.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:32 AM
RJ sheedy
Senior User
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
If you drove with the brake on I would at least manually adjust the rear brakes.
​​​​​​​Since it did this before, I would check that the parking brake cables are not frozen (rusted internally)
Ok. Will do. Thanks

Old 11-14-2016, 09:33 AM
RJ sheedy
Senior User
Angry

Originally Posted by exranger06
It's normal IF you're not using the parking brake. OP says the truck rolls even with the parking brake on, which is NOT normal. It sounds to me that the parking brake isn't doing anything, and the only thing holding the truck in place is the pawl in the transmission.

OP, you should put the trans in neutral and engage the parking brake and see what happens. If the truck starts rolling downhill, then the parking brake is not working. The parking brake should be able to easily hold the truck still, even on a hill.
Ok ill try that this afternoon. Thanks

Old 11-14-2016, 09:45 AM
Plowboy34
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, parking brake is not working properly for whatever reason.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:23 AM
RJ sheedy
Senior User

Just tried trans in neutral and parking brake on. Truck rolls. Parking brake is not working

Old 11-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My bad. I must have misread the OP, I thought it was just the transmission in park.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:34 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
+1 above; START with a rear adjustment, along with an inspection of the shoes and drums. Rear may be worn down and "auto" adjusters not working.

Q&D cable check - parking brake OFF, put a piece of tape on each of the rear cables, on the cable CORE where they come out of the housings, at the point where the intermediate cable connects to the two rear cables. Then apply the parking brake. The tape should indicate how far the rear cables are moving. Should be at least 1-2", and should be aprx. the same left and right. If you only see one moving, or one moving a lot more than the other, then the one that didn't move is the first place to look.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:49 PM
RJ sheedy
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
+1 above; START with a rear adjustment, along with an inspection of the shoes and drums. Rear may be worn down and "auto" adjusters not working.

Q&D cable check - parking brake OFF, put a piece of tape on each of the rear cables, on the cable CORE where they come out of the housings, at the point where the intermediate cable connects to the two rear cables. Then apply the parking brake. The tape should indicate how far the rear cables are moving. Should be at least 1-2", and should be aprx. the same left and right. If you only see one moving, or one moving a lot more than the other, then the one that didn't move is the first place to look.
Will do, its probably the cable or auto adjustment. PO of this truck put brand new brakes drums everything on all around right before selling it.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:01 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Since it did it before your mistake, you may not have hurt anything. I have never seen auto brake adjusters that really worked after some time. Good luck

Old 11-14-2016, 11:09 PM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did the PO replace the cables and housings ? if not, you could be looking at 24 year old stuff under there. if you are in the rust belt, i can only imagine the state they would be in.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:50 AM
RJ sheedy
Senior User
Originally Posted by sandymane
Since it did it before your mistake, you may not have hurt anything. I have never seen auto brake adjusters that really worked after some time. Good luck
Yea. My dad said so somethin about backing up sometimes fixing the auto adjustors or that you need to back up for them to work

Old 11-15-2016, 08:50 AM
RJ sheedy
Senior User
Originally Posted by joey2fords
did the PO replace the cables and housings ? if not, you could be looking at 24 year old stuff under there. if you are in the rust belt, i can only imagine the state they would be in.
Very true. Im not sure if he did or not. Ill be able to take a look at it all later today.

Quick Reply: Truck rolls a little when put in park/parking brake on.