General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

November is Native American Indian Heritage Month

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 09:19 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up November is Native American Indian Heritage Month

On August 3, 1990 President of the United States George H. W. Bush declared the month of November as National American Indian Heritage Month

This commemorative month aims to provide a platform for Native people in the United States of America to share their culture, traditions, music, crafts, dance, and ways and concepts of life.

Native American Heritage Month

November is Native American Heritage Month, or as it is commonly refered to, American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month.

The month is a time to celebrate rich and diverse cultures, traditions, and histories and to acknowledge the important contributions of Native people. Heritage Month is also an opportune time to educate the general public about tribes, to raise a general awareness about the unique challenges Native people have faced both historically and in the present, and the ways in which tribal citizens have worked to conquer these challenges.

Native American Heritage Month | NCAI

everyone come share the celebration!

5 Ways to Celebrate Native American Heritage Month - ICTMN.com

Old 11-12-2016, 09:44 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
if any of you live within a day or weekends drive of this.please do go and visit if you haven't been! it's a spectacular way to celebrate Native American Indian Heritage month! this was an awesome visit and im sure you would enjoy the visit as well if your close enough.

Monks Mound is roughly the same size at its base as the Great Pyramid of Giza!

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
the oldest city in America!!!!!

guys,it's Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site!!!

they have a fantastic visitor center.let's go in here before we take a trek up monks mound ok guys.

so cool.check this out.here is the whole layout of the land.

oh man.so much to see in here.so much to read,so much to learn.so many artifacts! it's amazing.loads and loads but take a little walk around guys at just a few more and we'll head outside.

ok i'll see you guys outside when your done...............

Old 11-12-2016, 09:46 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
ok guys.let's drive across the road and hike up monks mound.we can see the arch from up there too.

good thing we hike often cus it's a lot of stairs! lol.enjoy.

that was a super cool visit! the visitor center takes an hour all easy going right along.plan on at least a couple if you enjoy reading.
ok guys.let's hit the road whenever your ready.we're still a long ways from Maine..........

The Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site /kəˈhoʊkiə/ (11 MS 2)[2] is located on the site of a pre-Columbian Native American city (c. 600–1400 AD) situated directly across the Mississippi River from modern St. Louis, Missouri. This historic park lies in southern Illinois between East St. Louis and Collinsville.[3] The park covers 2,200 acres (890 ha), or about 3.5 square miles (9 km2), and contains about 80 mounds, but the ancient city was much larger. In its heyday, Cahokia covered about 6 square miles (16 km2) and included about 120 human-made earthen mounds in a wide range of sizes, shapes, and functions.[4]

Development
A map showing approximate areas of various Mississippian and related cultures. Cahokia is located near the center of this map in the upper part of the Middle Mississippi area

Although there is some evidence of the Late Archaic period (approximately 1200 BC) occupation in and around the site,[6] Cahokia as it is now defined was settled around 600 AD during the Late Woodland period. Mound building at this location began with the Emergent Mississippian cultural period, about the 9th century AD.[7] The inhabitants left no written records beyond symbols on pottery, shell, copper, wood and stone, but the elaborately planned community, woodhenge, mounds and burials reveal a complex and sophisticated society.[8] The city's original name is unknown.

read more:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahokia

& visit:
Cahokia Mounds | About

-----------------------------------------------------------

Monks Mound is the largest Pre-Columbian earthwork in the Americas and the largest pyramid north of Mesoamerica. Located at the Cahokia Mounds UNESCO World Heritage Site near Collinsville, Illinois, the mound size was calculated in 1988 as about 100 feet (30 m) high, 955 feet (291 m) long including the access ramp at the southern end, and 775 feet (236 m) wide.[1] This makes Monks Mound roughly the same size at its base as the Great Pyramid of Giza (13.1 acres / 5.3 hectares). Its base circumference is larger than the Pyramid of the Sun at Teotihuacan. As a platform mound, the earthwork supported a wooden structure on the summit.

read more:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monks_Mound

Old 11-13-2016, 09:47 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
this is a cool short vid guys! check it out when you have a spare 6 mins.

i want to go check out that serpent mound.i just discovered that myself while searching attractions around that area a week or two ago.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:17 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
When you know who you are; when your mission is clear and you burn with the inner fire of unbreakable will; no cold can touch your heart; no deluge can dampen your purpose. You know that you are alive.

CHIEF
- Chief Seattle, Duwamish (1780-1866)

Old 11-15-2016, 07:33 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
The time will soon be here when my grandchild will long for the cry of a loon, the flash of a salmon, the whisper of spruce needles, or the screech of an eagle.

But he will not make friends with any of these creatures and when his heart aches with longing, he will curse me.

Have I done all to keep the air fresh?

Have I cared enough about the water?

Have I left the eagle to soar in freedom?

Have I done everything I could to earn my grandchild's fondness?

- Chief Dan George, Tsleil-Waututh (1899 - 1981)

well,he was a native Canadian but that's ok.great heritage to share as well

Old 11-16-2016, 08:02 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Across the United States, an effort is continually made to preserve and share the storied and often tragic history of Native Americans in North America. Indigenous cultures on the continent have thrived for thousands of years, and visitors have the opportunity to learn about them by viewing exhibits, visiting living history museums, attending events, exploring ancient sites and talking with Native Americans. Here are five premier places and events in the United States where you can experience Native American culture.

9 Great Places to Experience American and Native Culture - ICTMN.com

Native American Heritage Attractions

Best Native American Experience Winners: 2014 10Best Readers' Choice Travel Awards

5 Places to Experience Native American Culture | The United States of Great Outdoors

Old 11-18-2016, 06:12 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Old 11-18-2016, 07:03 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
SEVEN SACRED PRAYERS of the Mi'kmaq

Name:  WALKING-1.gif
Views: 1070
Size:  510.5 KB

O Great Spirit, who art before all else and who dwells in every object, in every person and in every place, we cry unto Thee. We summon Thee from
the far places into our present awareness.

O Great Spirit of the North, who gives wings to the waters of the air and rolls the thick snowstorm before Thee, Who covers the Earth with a sparkling crystal carpet above whose deep tranquillity every sound is beautiful. Temper us with strength to withstand the biting blizzards, yet make us thankful for the beauty which follows and lies deep over the warm Earth in its wake.

O Great Spirit of the East, the land of the rising Sun, Who holds in Your right hand the years of our lives and in Your left the opportunities of each day. Brace us that we may not neglect our gifts nor lose in laziness the hopes of each day and the hopes of each year.

O Great Spirit of the South, whose warm breath of compassion melts the ice that gathers round our hearts, whose fragrance speaks of distant springs and summer days, dissolve our fears, melt our hatreds, kindle our love into
flames of true and living realities. Teach us that he who is truly strong is also
kind, he who is wise tempers justice with mercy, he who is truly brave
matches courage with compassion.

O Great Spirit of the West, the land of the setting Sun, with Your soaring
mountains and free, wide rolling prairies, bless us with knowledge of the
peace which follows purity of striving and the freedom which follows like a
flowing robe in the winds of a well-disciplined life. Teach us that the end is
better than the beginning and that the setting sun glorifies not in vain.

O Great Spirit of the heavens, in the day's infinite blue and amid the
countless stars of the night season, remind us that you are vast, that you
are beautiful and majestic beyond all of our knowing or telling, but also that
you are no further from us than the tilting upwards of our heads and the
raising of our eyes.

O Great Spirit of Mother Earth beneath our feet, Master of metals,
Germinator of seeds and the Storer of the Earth's unreckoned resources,
help us to give thanks unceasingly for Your present bounty.

O Great Spirit of our souls, burning in our heart's yearning and in our
innermost aspirations, speak to us now and always so that we may be
aware of the greatness and goodness of Your gift of life and be worthy of this priceless privilege of living.

By Noel Knockwood, B.A., a Mi'kmaq elder

Old 11-18-2016, 10:17 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend

More than a century later, the Sioux nation won a victory in court. On June 30, 1980, in United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians,[3] the United States Supreme Court ruled that the government had illegally taken the land. It upheld an award of $15.5 million for the market value of the land in 1877, along with 103 years worth of interest at 5 percent, for an additional $105 million. The Lakota Sioux, however, have refused to accept payment and instead continue to demand the return of the territory from the United States.

Treaty of Fort Laramie (1868) From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-19-2016, 11:22 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Old 11-19-2016, 04:11 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Where's European American Heritage Month?

Old 11-19-2016, 04:24 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BruteFord
Where's European American Heritage Month?
im not sure if there is one? but all of us,should honor and respect each others heritages.

so long as it's not supremacy and hatred.remembering we are all from the same place and we are all created equal,we should all be very proud of our heritages that bring honor to us.

though for example to look at me,it's very clear with my long black hair and very dark skin,that i am Native.i am however mostly white too.(which means im stuck with the need to shave fairly often too lol)

my great grandmother was full blood Micmac.i do believe,there is a very large amount on the other side of my family as well,though i haven't learned about this side much.i need to do some more research.

i do hope you understand there is a very strong contrast in honoring ones heritage and thinking less of another race or thinking of being supreme over another.
at the very least i certainly want you to know that i don't think of myself being of any more or less than anyone else just because im partially Native American and proud if it.

O Great Spirit, who art before all else and who dwells in every object, in every person and in every place, we cry unto Thee. We summon Thee from the far places into our present awareness.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:31 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
im not sure if there is one? but all of us,should honor and respect each others heritages.

so long as it's not supremacy and hatred.remembering we are all from the same place and we are all created equal,we should all be very proud of our heritages that bring honor to us.
There isn't, so then why does the democratic government and the tribes separate so much by race?

Old 11-19-2016, 05:49 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend

Quick Reply: November is Native American Indian Heritage Month