Airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 09:45 AM
nbettes
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbags?

Any help with where to buy the following or recommendations on the competition or alternative solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Looking to install airbags fairly quick. I'm the keyboard jockey while my dad is the mechanic. I do plan on driving down to his shop to install these things. While I am approaching 40 I am still pretty good at handing him the tools.

With that said, I'm thinking:
1. Firestone "Ride Rite" Airbags 5000. It seems these are the most commonly referred to airbags.
Firestone 2535 - 2011-2016 Ford F250, F350 Ride-Rite Air Bag Helper Springs - 2535 Air Springs | $406.39

2. Airlift WirelessOne Compressor System. Had one recommendation for this.
https://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-2587...ype=automotive

Thoughts? There have been a few other things mentioned but the most frequent has been airbags. And I'm thinking you need a separate purchase to make sure you can get air in and out of those suckers, thus the need for the wireless one system.

Again, help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 11-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Look at the load lifter 5000 airbags. I just installed them myself on my truck. They have an internal jounce bumper so you can run the bags at 0 psi. They are also a little less expensive than the ride rites. I didn't get a compressor. I ran my lines thru the license plate and fill with a portable compressor I keep in the fifth wheel.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:07 AM
nbettes
Freshman User
Does it have the same connection as a tire? When putting air in? That would be perfect actually. It's not like I would be constantly filling it up.....

Old 11-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Yes it does. Just like airing up a tire. I use a 12v compressor to fill up the bags. Doesn't take much to fill them up. In fact, you could use a bicycle pump

Old 11-11-2016, 07:14 AM
Iceman1777
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed the Firestone bags myself in a morning and had never done it before. It was a straightforward install and I ordered the optional "T" where I joined the lines and then ran one line to the rear so the pressure is equalized at the bags. They also provide a heat resistant protector for the line by the exhaust pipe. Very satisfied.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:28 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I may have been the one to suggest the Wireless One compressor, not sure. I just bought (starting to install today) AirLift 5000 and Wireless One compressor for my 2000 F-250. I too was going to route the valves to the rear of the truck and fill up when I needed, but I don't have easy access to a compressor and thought it would be a bit cumbersome to find one and fill them each time.

AirLift has a $50 rebate on the compressors right now found here.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/suppo...tes/rebate-50/

The best price I could find for the compressor was here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just thought it was worth the peace of mind with having an on-board compressor for adjusting the pressure and having preset settings for with and without our 5th wheel. As Tom suggested, I was going to tote around a bicycle pump to air the bags up, but thought that I spent money on the bags and making everything right, but then was going to go cheap on the pump and use a hand pump each time, that just seemed silly.

I have no opinion on how they work because they are still in a box, but the reviews and thoughts around the net are they are good.

Again as Tom suggested I bought the 5000 series bags so that I could run them at 0 PSI and not worry about it.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Originally Posted by Iceman1777
I installed the Firestone bags myself in a morning and had never done it before. It was a straightforward install and I ordered the optional "T" where I joined the lines and then ran one line to the rear so the pressure is equalized at the bags. They also provide a heat resistant protector for the line by the exhaust pipe. Very satisfied.
You might want to consider separating the lines to the air bags. Here's why: if you have a load that is on one side of the truck, the air bag on that side compresses and pushes all its air to the other side. This magnifies the side to side body roll. No fun if you're towing or hauling a load. Just my .02

Old 11-11-2016, 10:36 AM
Iceman1777
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom
You might want to consider separating the lines to the air bags. Here's why: if you have a load that is on one side of the truck, the air bag on that side compresses and pushes all its air to the other side. This magnifies the side to side body roll. No fun if you're towing or hauling a load. Just my .02
I don't do much diverse hauling. So far 100% heavy load has been the 5er but you do make a good point.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Bigdon68
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F450 airbags

I have been looking for airbags for my F450. If anyone sees any I would appreciate the info.

Bigdon68

Old 12-03-2016, 04:51 PM
kansas gary
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bigdon68
I have been looking for airbags for my F450. If anyone sees any I would appreciate the info.

Bigdon68
Ford F450 Air Bags - Air Lift | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

Old 12-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the Firestones on my truck. Had them installed and have a single fill inlet that sits behind my gas door. Hides the fitting out of sight, and also mostly out of the elements. Not having any issues with a single fill nozzle. I'm not road racing my truck with a 2K weight hanging off the side of one bed rail, so I seriously doubt I'll have any issues with bags moving air from one side to the other.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:03 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Iceman1777
I don't do much diverse hauling. So far 100% heavy load has been the 5er but you do make a good point.
Hanging a sharp corner will also force the pressure to the high side which you definitely don't want. Disaster looking for a place to happen.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:48 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
What these guys are telling you. Separate fills.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:33 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Or forget about the separate fill lines or the sway if you don't use separate lines or heat shields for the one by the exhaust pipe or on board compressor or separate compressor or bicycle pump or where to put the nozzle or what pressure to have hauling or not hauling.
Timbrens install in about an hour with the appropriate beer break.
JMO.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:51 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
Originally Posted by ssunit1
Or forget about the separate fill lines or the sway if you don't use separate lines or heat shields for the one by the exhaust pipe or on board compressor or separate compressor or bicycle pump or where to put the nozzle or what pressure to have hauling or not hauling.
Timbrens install in about an hour with the appropriate beer break.
JMO.
Yea, this is the direction I went. Works perfect for my situation, and I realize all situations are different. I like not having to mess around changing the air pressures.

Quick Reply: Airbags?