1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

Engine to chassis ground

Old 11-10-2016, 07:50 AM
unibody62
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine to chassis ground

Originally posted this question in the engine forum, but it was suggested to try it here. I am not sure where to place the ground wire for the engine to chassis ground, since I did not do the disassembly on my truck. I was able to find the battery to engine ground by searching pictures on Bing, but no luck for the chassis. I am dealing with a y-block in a 62 Uni. A picture would be a great help.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:32 PM
okiewelder
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Restoration

Originally Posted by unibody62
Originally posted this question in the engine forum, but it was suggested to try it here. I am not sure where to place the ground wire for the engine to chassis ground, since I did not do the disassembly on my truck. I was able to find the battery to engine ground by searching pictures on Bing, but no luck for the chassis. I am dealing with a y-block in a 62 Uni. A picture would be a great help.
?
Are you just putting it togeather to drive or what? If you want the absolute correct place wait for number dummy to chime in

Old 11-11-2016, 07:50 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Originally Posted by okiewelder
?
Are you just putting it togeather to drive or what? If you want the absolute correct place wait for number dummy to chime in
lol, yes just to drive, rather than show. But I still am kind of **** about things. I would move it if I needed to, but if I can keep it in the stock location, all the better. Also, I want
it to be properly grounded, so the stock location will surely be good. I think I may have seen it strapped to the firewall , but not positive.

I respect Numberdummy and all his parts knowledge, but I'm not sure if this is in his wheelhouse.

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:32 AM
okiewelder
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grounds

lol, yes just to drive, rather than show. But I still am kind of **** about things. I would move it if I needed to, but if I can keep it in the stock location, all the better. Also, I want
it to be properly grounded, so the stock location will surely be good. I think I may have seen it strapped to the firewall , but not positive.

I respect Numberdummy and all his parts knowledge, but I'm not sure if this is in his wheelhouse.

Thanks for your input.
l am not **** on the stock locations but, l am always looking to ground properly for better electrical proformance. I had a few ground straps from the aircraft world l used on my as well as welding cables. I solder all my connections and have a battery anti corrosion gell l try to put on my connections. Maybe l am **** l just didnt realize it.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:07 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Also, I want it to be properly grounded, so the stock location will surely be good. I think I may have seen it strapped to the firewall, but not positive.
No pun intended right! ha!

The stock wiring and grounding locations are kind of a weak area on these old trucks. Manufacturers used the shortest and smallest diameter wire and cable they thought they could get away with, depending on the steel body and frame to complete the ground path. When everything is new and bright it sort of works, barely. Fast forward 50 years or so and all the corrosion and rust causes problems. The path your truck took for the negative ground might have been from the battery to firewall, and then firewall to engine block and on to the starter and ignition. A better setup will run a heavy gauge cable direct to the block or bolt on the starter. It pays to be particular about grounds and connections. Better starting in both cold and hot weather, and better charging, and hotter ignition.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:33 AM
Koolkat
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
ground

On my '62 uni the ground is connected to the rear of the drivers side head and to one of the gas pedal bolts. The cable is about 6 inches long.
Good luck

Old 03-17-2017, 07:06 AM
unibody62
More Turbo
Thanks to all who responded. It seems that I should probably upgrade the system a bit better than stock. I'll probably start with the usual grounding points and add some additional at points that will help to make the whole system stronger 💪🏼💪🏼