2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford Pass App Mobile Apps

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 10:16 PM
achec
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Pass App Mobile Apps

Hi All so i was told by several people that the sync 3 has a feature where we can use our phones to remote start, check fuel level, location, and a list of other things. i downloaded the app went out to the truck and followed instructions and didn't get anywhere. tried to toggle on the mobile apps and couldn't do that either.

Am i not doing it right?
Or do we not have this feature?

Old 11-08-2016, 10:23 PM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm pretty sure you need to add the modem (and monthly plan) to do anything remotely with the sd's. Ford pass is pretty much pointless for us.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:24 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
We don't get these features. There's been talk that maybe it could be added later, but from the factory it's not capable.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:58 AM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts
Ford Accessories shows this as available, but an additional security pack is needed.
Has anybody done this yet?
It sure would be nice to have remote start feature available from my phone.
I use the Onstar app for my GMC to start my truck when I am out of key fob range all the time. It is very nice

Old 11-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Texmudder
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
You didnt provide a link, but I assume its the cellular remote start on the Ford accessory page. The "additional" part, you should already have if you see the security options when you shut your truck down. In previous generations, the part you are referring to is a plug and play option. I have been eyeballing that part since I got the new truck. Hoping someone else would be the test person.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:17 AM
Juniorf250
Senior User
When I had my ram megacab it had uconnect. I was able to locate the truck, start it and send it destinations for my map. Honestly I really only used it to preload my destinations because when the truck was moving there was no way to input the destination unless I stopped. With the superduty I can use CarPlay and is easier to used imo. The only time I used the remote start through my phone was when I showed people the app. So really not many times. I always used my fob since it was easier and quicker to access. I eventually never renewed my subscription because my lack of use for it.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:36 AM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
this is what i come up with:

https://accessories.ford.com/aerial-asy-10667.html

https://accessories.ford.com/electro...ule-11155.html

how does car play work? can you remote start from it?

sure is nice on my GMC to start the truck through Onstar just as I am finishing work, then walk out to it warm and ready to go

Old 11-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just FYI....

"Remote Access" and "Ford Pass" are two completely different things.

Remote Access enhances the security features by adding a full alarm including shock sensor. It also gives you the key functions on your phone, including lock, unlock, panic, and remote start.

Ford Pass gives you more access to your vehicle via your smartphone, there's a list of features on the Fordpass website. Security alarm is not part of the Ford Pass package.

The difference is that Remote Access is a dealer add-on accessory. Ford Pass must be equipped from production and cannot be added on later. I've already seen this with the Escapes and a few others that had the option to be equipped with Ford Pass, customers thought they had Ford Pass but actually didn't. They wanted to add it but there's no accessory kit or part number to add it in. Ford Pass is not a standard feature with Sync 3.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:09 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ford Pass is likely one of those reasons to wait for a 2018. And of course if you wait until 2019 you'll get time travel. There is always something to wait for!

Old 11-15-2016, 09:13 AM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Pocket
Just FYI....

"Remote Access" and "Ford Pass" are two completely different things.

Remote Access enhances the security features by adding a full alarm including shock sensor. It also gives you the key functions on your phone, including lock, unlock, panic, and remote start.

Ford Pass gives you more access to your vehicle via your smartphone, there's a list of features on the Fordpass website. Security alarm is not part of the Ford Pass package.

The difference is that Remote Access is a dealer add-on accessory. Ford Pass must be equipped from production and cannot be added on later. I've already seen this with the Escapes and a few others that had the option to be equipped with Ford Pass, customers thought they had Ford Pass but actually didn't. They wanted to add it but there's no accessory kit or part number to add it in. Ford Pass is not a standard feature with Sync 3.

Hum...
I was just going by the descriptions on each accessory page specifically for the 2017 SD.

Remote access says you need Perimeter Plus for it to work. the perimeter plus descriptions says it is an add on module not available from the factory

all I want is to be able to start the truck via my phone when the fob is out of range

Remote Access
Remote Access
Part No: DL3Z-19A390-B
SRP: $385.71
Use your smartphone to start, lock, unlock or find your vehicle from nearly anywhere with this ingenious App. An optional security feature detects shocks and impacts while alerting you of possible thefts via text or email.

Covered under your New Vehicle Warranty when installed at time of purchase
Requires annual data plan

Vehicle Notes:
Requires Vehicle Security Kit 19A361 at an additional cost.

Vehicle Security System - Ford Perimeter Plus
Vehicle Security System - Ford Perimeter Plus
Part No: FT4Z-19A361-A
SRP: $198.57
Get local pricing
Perimeter Plus Remote Start Vehicle Security module adds an effective layer of anti-theft protection to your Ford vehicle. This new accessory contains features not available from the factory and is specifically designed to protect against the theft of contents and accessories in your vehicle.

No cut, no splice vehicle integration.
Adjustable, 2-stage shock/impact sensor.
Arms and disarms with the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the factory key, door-mounted keypad or with ignition key ON.
Upgrade to One-Way or Bi-Directional remote start.
Upgrade to Remote Access.
May qualify for insurance discounts.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kylant
Hum...
I was just going by the descriptions on each accessory page specifically for the 2017 SD.

Remote access says you need Perimeter Plus for it to work. the perimeter plus descriptions says it is an add on module not available from the factory

all I want is to be able to start the truck via my phone when the fob is out of range
Correct.

The Perimeter Plus module is the security enhancement. It includes a shock sensor upgrade that is not available from the factory. The Remote Access RMU module plugs directly into the Perimeter Plus module. That's how you get Remote Access.

The part numbers you found are the correct applications for 2017 SD. Get those two and you'll be set. Remote Access does require activation at the dealership during the install.

If you have more questions I can answer them.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:45 AM
Texmudder
More Turbo
I would hate for that to be right. That would mean it would cost around $585 just to get remote start on a smart phone. I was hoping I could just get the remote module. If its going to cost $585, I'd rather go aftermarket. While I was hoping it would help with the Ford Pass stuff, I could care less. I want the ability to start the truck from my office on those 100+ degree days.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Texmudder
More Turbo
Originally Posted by kylant
this is what i come up with:

https://accessories.ford.com/aerial-asy-10667.html

https://accessories.ford.com/electro...ule-11155.html

how does car play work? can you remote start from it?

sure is nice on my GMC to start the truck through Onstar just as I am finishing work, then walk out to it warm and ready to go
To answer your question on how car play works, the answer is not great. Like an iPhone, you can only have one thing running at a time. Like your iPhone things like music will play in the back ground, but overall the solution is very limited. If you have maps up and are using apple maps for navigation or just display, and then you open email....the screen in the truck goes away from the maps. Very disappointing. You can also not use the Sync nav app while using car play. At this point, I have used it a handful of times and have no desire to use it again.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:07 PM
nullop
Senior User
Hm. Could likely take a normal key fob with remote start and integrate into a Particle.io Electronic ( . https://www.particle.io/products/har...llular-dev-kit . )

$3/month for that cell radio to be active and it can send 20,000 small messages. Integrate that board with a keyfob button.. downside, you're leaving a key in the car. Suspect it could probably also be directly integrated to wherever their normal stock device integrates, but unclear how 'open' that is from a standards perspective.

Seems like many folks were actually just going to leave a key in their car anyway and just use the door keypad to open the door, for them they might not care.

I have ordered Crew Chief with mine, which comes with a cellular radio for offloading truck data, speed, mileage, diesel usage, regen, tire pressure, seat belt status, location of vehicle, in-cab alerts... but, that's all via OBD-2 as I understand it, and most vehicles can't be remote start via OBD-2 due to the data security on the CAN bus... has to tie directly into remote start interface.

If enough people are interested, I could take a look and see if there's a way to integrate a particle.io board straight into the remote start device.. if my truck ever arrives. At that point you'd send something like a text message with a password you preset to a specific phone number for your truck.. certainly not as secure as Ford's implementation with mutual auth on the app. Would hate for someone to start your diesel up in the garage.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:09 PM
Davidryan1987
New User
I purchase mine on ebay thru keith white ford for like 270 dollars perimeter alarm and all. it take about 5 min to install and another 5 min to email him and have him walk you thru the setup process. no need to go to the dealer at all and it works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Ford Pass App Mobile Apps