Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

3.5L EB Oil Dilution

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:47 PM
NoCoBob
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
It's been about 5,000 miles since I changed my oil, and much to my surprise the level is about 1/2" over the full mark. Haven't checked it in at least few weeks, and last I remember it was right at the full mark.

Up until now I was certain that fuel dilution had everything to do with driving conditions, but now I'm not sure. My truck almost never idles, and the majority of my use is highway miles. I drive about 1,500 miles per month, and other than a few short trips per week for coffee, my shortest drive is 6 miles at 70 MPH. I've ordered a Blackstone test kit, and I'll be sending off a sample for analysis when I get the chance to change it. Here's a shot of my engine hours screen I took this evening:

Just got off the phone with Borg Warner. After 83k miles on the 3.5 and religious 5k oil changes. I'm about to order my third set of turbos. $2,300 for the performace upgraded version. The B.W. warranty dept. has informed me that the turbo manufacturing community refers to all ecoboosts as the turbo killers. You will "make oil no matter your driving habits" I.e. Oil level going up. The only hope to save the turbos is to change the oil more frequently, probably 2-3 k. Don't listen to this 5k hogwash, or you'll be lubricating your turbos with gas.
And yes do not idle a direct injected engine. And regardless of idle time, valves will eventually develop bad buildup. There's a Ford tech on you tube with a boroscope to show you.
I also have to wonder how big a roll, oil dilution plays in all the cam phasers we hear about going out. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Well, the 3.5 EB in Blue hasn't "made" any oil in the 2000 miles since it was changed, but basically all of those miles were towing something - either the trailer for Big Blue or the trailer and Big Blue. So the turbos were working much of the time, which might keep the rings seated better.

Having said that, the 460 in Big Blue seems to be "making" oil. I drained about 13 qts from a 6 qt system, with the top ~7 qts being gas, as described here. Do you think the rings are leaking?

Old 01-30-2017, 04:07 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Well, the 3.5 EB in Blue hasn't "made" any oil in the 2000 miles since it was changed, but basically all of those miles were towing something - either the trailer for Big Blue or the trailer and Big Blue. So the turbos were working much of the time, which might keep the rings seated better.

Having said that, the 460 in Big Blue seems to be "making" oil. I drained about 13 qts from a 6 qt system, with the top ~7 qts being gas, as described here. Do you think the rings are leaking?
I suspect that Big Blue must be carbureted - in which case I would suspect the the diaphragm in the manual fuel pump is leaking... If it's not that, he's got a bad carb problem which would result in cylinder washdown and very rough running...

Old 01-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
I suspect that Big Blue must be carbureted - in which case I would suspect the the diaphragm in the manual fuel pump is leaking... If it's not that, he's got a bad carb problem which would result in cylinder washdown and very rough running...
He is carb'd. But he has an electric fuel pump, not a mechanical one. My theory is that the electric pump, which has been miswired to allow it to run whenever the key is on, was left running and the pressure overpowered the needles and seats in the Eddy. That would then cause the bowls to overflow and gas to run into the cylinders. Luckily it appears to have happened in one go while the engine wasn't running as the oil and gas in the sump weren't mixed, and the oil in the oil filter didn't smell like gas.

Anyway, I couldn't help but comment on this thread. You are worried about 5% dilution and I had 116%.

Hijack over.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:23 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
All this talk about oil dilution got me to go out and check. My 2015 3.5L EB is now around 18,600 miles, and due for a change in about 1,000 miles. It's got 661 engine hours, and 77 of those were at idle (11.6%).

It has been sitting overnight, so all the oil should have drained down. The oil on the dipstick is "maybe" about 1/8" above the full mark. I consider that pretty close, and am going to declare it OK just because.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:54 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by NoCoBob
Just got off the phone with Borg Warner. After 83k miles on the 3.5 and religious 5k oil changes. I'm about to order my third set of turbos. $2,300 for the performace upgraded version. The B.W. warranty dept. has informed me that the turbo manufacturing community refers to all ecoboosts as the turbo killers. You will "make oil no matter your driving habits" I.e. Oil level going up. The only hope to save the turbos is to change the oil more frequently, probably 2-3 k. Don't listen to this 5k hogwash, or you'll be lubricating your turbos with gas.
And yes do not idle a direct injected engine. And regardless of idle time, valves will eventually develop bad buildup. There's a Ford tech on you tube with a boroscope to show you.
I also have to wonder how big a roll, oil dilution plays in all the cam phasers we hear about going out. Good luck.
third set? Wow, what oil are you using? Do you run with a heavy foot?

Should be able to go 5k or 7.5k with no worries.

biz

Old 01-30-2017, 06:00 PM
JustinSouthTex
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck has 15,757 miles on it, 446 engine hours and 87 idle hours. Seems to be within the margin i guess. I try not to let it idle to often. I pull trailers with it, so i will let it idle for a few minutes to let the engine cool. Get my oil changed at around 5k miles.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:49 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm idling my engine for 3-4 hours a week. Still holding around 20% of total time. May seem like a lot, but that's probably a normal day for some work trucks. Looking forward to another oil change analysis in 3 months.