Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

3.5L EB Oil Dilution

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 11:42 AM
pepito113
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Magoo22
I change my oil regularly at 5000 kms have done that on every vehicle I have ever owned. Have a 3.5 eco boost, 6.8 v10, and a 4.7 twin turbo Mercedes. My oil looks clean and I have never smelt gas in it. 3000 miles is pretty short on interval but I buy oil filters by the case from the manufacturer and run Dino oil. And I change it myself.

Company unit runs around 5 to 7 kms a month and it gets the same treatment. 300,000 kms and the oil looks good every change. Close to 200,000 miles.

I never have had an engine failure but that could be due to a lot of things beyond short oil changes. I just don't like black oil is all...
Interesting that your 3.5 EB has never had the oil smell like gas.. a lot of people on this forum and other forums asking about it. They say some is normal for turbo vehicles. Doing oil change this weekend and sending sample in on Monday.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Magoo22
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My eco boost is in a Lincoln MKS and it does not see a lot of hard miles. I am not sure about a turbo causing gas to get in oil. The direct injection might be more likely. I have not had any problems with the 3.5 at all. No mess in the intake. No water in the CAC but when I drive the car it gets used and then sits for a while until I need it again. Maybe the gas evaporates when it is sitting. It is a 2010 with just under 70k miles.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:17 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
I think higher-compression engines probably get a little more blow-by the piston rings. A turbo'd engine has even higher pressures. Seems reasonable that there might be even more blow by. So the issue is how to scavenge any fuel that might make its way into the crankcase.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:43 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It will be interesting to see the results of your analysis Tom...

Originally Posted by GlueGuy
I think higher-compression engines probably get a little more blow-by the piston rings. A turbo'd engine has even higher pressures. Seems reasonable that there might be even more blow by. So the issue is how to scavenge any fuel that might make its way into the crankcase.
Common logic would seem to indicate that the higher cylinder pressures would contribute to greater blow-by. However, this would only be true in an engine with worn, improperly gapped or bad rings.. You see the rings that have been in use by the manufacturers for almost 20 years now are called "low tension" rings. These have very little spring tension for sealing the surface of the rings into the cylinder walls. This results in less internal friction that manifests itself as heat and parasitic drag.
So what do rings rely upon for better sealing? Combustion pressures. Yes, the top ring in your engine is called "compression" ring. It is designed to use pressure from the combustion to force the ring out into the cylinder wall to create a better seal. Rings have always used the piston's ring lands as part of the sealing process as well, so deposits on these surfaces will compromise part of that seal.

There may be an argument that turbo charged engines have a lower static compression ration (un-boosted cylinder pressure) than do NA (normally aspirated) versions of the same engine. Driving these turbocharged engines for maximum fuel economy (light right foot) -- could --- result in more blow-by due to lower cylinder pressures.
Blow-by can almost always be detected in the oil analysis - so it will be very telling in this case.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:52 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Delta Echo
But a lot of companies do, and there is nothing different about how a Ford engine breaks in.
And what companies are those?

Old 12-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Looks like the postal service found my oil sample yesterday, and it was delivered this morning. Hope to have results by Monday afternoon.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:03 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnndddd I came here hoping for the results. It's like a moving Christmas....

Old 12-11-2016, 07:51 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Haha, sorry 'bout that! As you can imagine I'm quite interested as well, the wait is killing me.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:02 PM
pepito113
Senior User
Got busy and finally made it to the post office. Mailed in my sample. Should arrive Friday. Curious what the numbers will be.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:40 PM
73sugarbear
New User
I would like to tell you about oil dilution, in my business I have four 5.4 V8s. I know its not the 3.5 Eco Boost but pay attention. One engine had 38k miles and had the oil change every 4500 to 5500 miles some weeks we run them a lot other weeks not so much. At 54 days out of warranty we had a engine seized up but a month before this failure we change the oil and found one gallon more oil in than should have been. Does anyone check to see how much oil comes out when you change it. We do now! So strange we didn't know if someone thought they were helping us and check it on an incline and keep adding oil or just plain sabotage. Crank journals and rods were black and bearings looked like tin foil. Of these four 5.4s, two were 2011s and two are 2013s. We sold one of the 2011 with 138k miles and never any major problems but one of the 2013 was doing the same thing and it was still under Ford warranty. So I took the van and the gallon extra oil two my dealer and they did all the test Ford could throw at it but nothing, nada, and no explanation of what could have happened. We even tried to light some of the gallon over with a lighter and it would not even smolder. Slower times now and we are checking the oil every 1k miles and soon as it shows over we change it but now the 36k miles is coming up no direction on what the problem is. We will be having the oil tested next time it shows up. We have had many 5.4s in the pasted and never had much if any problems so this is very strange.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:36 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Back in 1970 (or so), I sold my 442 to a friend. Since he was a friend, I did him a favor, and did an oil change the day before I handed it over to him. he saw me the next day and said that oil wasn't showing on the dipstick, so he added a couple of quarts.

My response was that it had a fresh oil change, and had never used any oil. So we went out to check it, and sure enough, he was a couple quarts over full. Some people are not used to having to actually "LOOK" to see if the oil is there or not. I guess many (most?) assume that the oil will always have some gray/black to it?

Old 12-15-2016, 05:12 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
On the vehicles that I do service at home I pour the used oil back into an oil jug for transport to recycle. That's a good indicator. On my ecoboost (which I don't service at home), I check the oil every two weeks.

Last winter when I used my 4wd quite a lot, she used some oil and that spooked my a bit, in fact I posted about it. Hasn't used any since.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
The report finally came:

Old 12-15-2016, 06:27 PM
pepito113
Senior User
So fuel dilution is higher then normal. Are you thinking about checking tsb or going to dealer? My oil arrives tomorrow according to the tracking info. I wonder what others people's levels are.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:37 PM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the tsb involves a block heater, not sure I would bother, as he pulled his oil over a month ago when it was relatively warm out, unless ford has a different tsb.

Quick Reply: 3.5L EB Oil Dilution