Sponsored by: Moser

Back from the dead with another dent

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:30 AM
MikePacey
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back from the dead with another dent

Man it's been a few years since I've been on here, or owned a dent. Financial woes between myself and supporting my parents through a bankruptcy cause me to have to sell off my beloved dent from high school. That's still a sore subject, I went to try and locate it last year and found it had been sawed to pieces and crushed.

But with every bad thing that happens in life you find ways to move in a positive direction. Made it through fire school 4 years ago, stairstepped my way into better jobs to prepare for my future and my giant leaps forward in my track racing.

So I've been searching on and off for about a year for a dent. But I wanted to get a shortbed 2 wheel drive. The prices these trucks have gone up in a the past few years is crazy. Where I live in Ohio shortbeds are going for 3,500 plus in not that great of condition.

But I did finally find one in Louisville, Kentucky so I made the 3 hour trip one way about a month ago. Boy that was an interesting drive down and back. My 04 6.0 limped all the way back and it was a miracle I even made it home, the front hubs junked out and took out the front brakes too. That's why I originally bought the dent was to put my dually down to fix the hubs because I could see they were bad.

Almost a grand later that's fixed. But I ended up picking up a 79 f100 shortbed with everything original from the factory including the owners manual, the original owners card with vin tag, build sheet, and the original letter from the dealership. Pretty neat!

It wasn't running when I got it so when i got home I found out it had the timing out 180 and they had the screw all the way out on the idle mixture. I learned I really liked driving that straight 6! It was all great for a little over a week then when I came home one day it died on me, I believe it snapped the timing chain. This has been legitimately not my year, my drag bike blew, my drag car blew, the 300 blew. I'm still at a loss trying to figure out how I'm the only person who can take out a 300 straight 6.

So I had as my second plan once the power stroke was up back and running to make it into a nice like 13 second street strip truck for my fiancé to run because she's really got into racing. I've been caught between a rock and a hard place on what to do because of the originality of the truck, but I've decided to go forward with enjoying what I have. It'd be like owning a true Yenko, it's great you own it and it's worth a lot but why own it if it's just gonna sit?

So I've decided to move forward on making this a fun truck. Originally I was going to just go with a basic 460/c6 combo, simplest and easiest way to get there. But that's not my style I'm not just gonna leave it at that. So I had gone over interesting combos in my head and on paper and I was really leaning towards a cleavor build. You really can't beat the sound of a high revving small block. But taking into consideration that my truck weigh 3,800 pounds with the straight 6 I scratched that idea.

But then a stroke of duh hit me and I was like, I've got a motor capable of well over 1,000 horsepower sitting in the garage why not put that in? Why you ask I may have something Like that just sitting around? Well my drag car is an 1982 Cutlass and my dad has a 1964 Chevelle. Last year we pulled my motor out of the Cutlass and stuck it in the Chevelle since it's Backhavled car to see what it would do running bracket. Over the off season we put it back into my car and it grenaded hardcore at the beginning of the season. But with over 3 seasons of racing on it with at least 500 passes, not to mention countless hits on the street and cruising it with only changing the oil, tuning, and valve checks that's not bad for a motor not freshened up.

Basically when it let go it took out the crank, two rods, two pistons, he bottom of the bore, put a hole in one of the mains, split the cam into 6 pieces, bent and valve and beat up a chamber. Talk about going all out haha. Ironically it happened in my driveway on a transbrake launch testing my taller slicks.

So the car got blown apart and I started to convert the car over into a class car. X235 to be exact. The combo in the car would max out in the 5.60-.50 range in the 1/8 which at the time was very competitive in that class with my local series. Now it's in the 5 teen range so I know I won't be in that class and threw all rules out the window. I got into grudge and heads up racing on my bike and I'm going that route on the Cutlass. So the single 76mm blow thru turbo setup is coming out in favor of a twin t4 EFI setup.

So i think it'd be pretty legit to drop this setup into the f100. Basically I just need to get a different tranny because I run a glide, I'll go 3 speed in the truck and make a hot side that will work with my chassis. Currently it's got a Dana 44 under it so more on that later. I've already got most of what I need laying in the garage, like an aeromotive fuel pump, tons of -10 line, etc. I will need to get some minor things here and there.

Yesterday I went down to my local LKQ and picked a complete 04 p71 crown Vic front end minus the calipers for 245. It's pretty awesome I get a 15 percent discount there being a fire fighter. It's accomplishing 2 things I'm looking for, slamming the front down, and changing my bolt pattern for me. Now there is a lot of options opened up for me in the wheel department and touching back onto earlier about the Dana 44, that will be getting swapped with a 80-83 9 inch because it has a 4.5 bolt pattern.

Luckily I've got a spare third member since both race cars run 9 inches, so I'll just need to pick up a gear and a spool for it. I've seen we do have some aftermarket support for fiberglass parts but nothing for shortbeds other then flaresides and frankly that's just not my style. So I may try my hand at laying a glass bed.

Hopefully here soon I can get started on the crown Vic swap. I'm just running into the issue of time constraints now. When I come home it's already dark and he garage has the cars in it. Once again caught between a rock and a hard place, I'm still trying to decide between staying leaf spring with caltracs or going ladder bar. If I do ladder bar I would not be back halving.

Hopefully I can have some pictures up this afternoon, I've got to remake a photobucket again and I'm heading to work.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:07 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 202 Likes on 160 Posts
Glad to see you're back.
Sounds like you've got a plan for an "interesting" build.
Yeah, definitely post pictures when you can.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:43 AM
MikePacey
Elder User
I hope so! I remember following your build and loved it. thank fully I already have 95 percent of what I need. I have things I'm still deciding on here and there for the route it's going but I've been wanting to do something like this since I was 16. now that I can afford to its pretty surreal

Old 11-07-2016, 10:21 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 202 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by MikePacey
I hope so! I remember following your build and loved it. thank fully I already have 95 percent of what I need. I have things I'm still deciding on here and there for the route it's going but I've been wanting to do something like this since I was 16. now that I can afford to its pretty surreal
Unfortunately my build is still a build "in progress" . Hopefully, it'll get finished sooner than later.
On your build, go for it. Build your truck like YOU want it!

Old 11-07-2016, 10:26 AM
kwe45919
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
......and that's a long post. Many details but no pics of the truck....what gives??

Tease us about a new project but can't even produce one simple pic?? For shame....

Old 11-07-2016, 09:10 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
Originally Posted by kwe45919
......and that's a long post. Many details but no pics of the truck....what gives??

Tease us about a new project but can't even produce one simple pic?? For shame....
​​​​​

luckily I've got the photobucket app downloading now, so as long as I don't pass out fron tired before it all uploads you'll get some pictures tonight lol

Old 11-07-2016, 10:02 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hurt to hear what happened to your old dent.

There's no timing chain to snap on a 300. They're timing gears I do believe.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:43 AM
JB78f150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'm ready for some pictures!! Good to see you back, I took a few years off too. Now back with a Bronco instead of a F-150.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:46 AM
MikePacey
Elder User
The chevelle
The way the cutlass sits currently
The day after i brought the truck home
The cutlass last year with the small block
Better picture of all the sides, looks rougher then what it really is.

The motor going into the truck

Old 11-09-2016, 09:50 AM
MikePacey
Elder User
Last year before wrecking in the finals
How it sits now
Not bad!

Old 11-09-2016, 09:56 AM
MikePacey
Elder User
Big block in the chevelle

Old 01-01-2017, 06:35 PM
MikePacey
Elder User
So a bit of an update I've been ghost for a while, due to the holidays and just life in general. I picked up a crown vic front end for 230 bucks from LKQ. And yesterday I picked up a complete 460 with a performer intake, front accessories, c6 with converter and the engine wiring harness. All for 400 bucks!!!! I decidea againt the turbo motor in the cutlass going into the truck. As soon as my motor mounts come in I can get the motor into the truck and start getting set up for the motor plate for when cv front end goes in.