2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Reverse lights wired to upfitter switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Trath67
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse lights wired to upfitter switch

How do you go about wiring the reverse lights to come on with one of the upfitter switches?

Old 11-07-2016, 12:08 AM
nullop
Senior User
Hm. I'm tying into the reverse lights to put the reverse alarm on an upfitter (As it's powered by the reverse lights). I'm using a Hella relay for that, but I'm already getting power from the reverse light. You need to add power for the reverse light when none is there.

I'd run a relay that, when the upfitter is switched on, sends power to the reverse lights (whatever voltage that is..) and keeps them on at all times.. when the upfitter is switched off, the wiring goes back to standard.. (basically, switching the existing power wire to the reverse light to either being supplied power from its original source that is activated when in reverse, or switching it over to a constant power source switched on via the upfitter).

There was a thread in another forum on this board with the schematic and idea for the reverse relay. I think it'd be something similar for you, just need to find the power source for your always on and the voltage.. other guys here I'm sure know exactly where you'd find what you're looking for.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:03 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trath67
How do you go about wiring the reverse lights to come on with one of the upfitter switches?
I have supplemental reverse lights that I use to illuminate my trailer when hitching up at night. They normally come on with the regular reverse lights.
I wired up one of the upfitter switches so that I could turn the reverse lights on without having to shift the transmission into reverse.

(It's not legal, but I have, on occasion, used the reverse switch to show my annoyance to folks who are tailgating me, and to signal meathead drivers who are behind me at night with their Hi-Beams on.)

Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob
I have supplemental reverse lights that I use to illuminate my trailer when hitching up at night. They normally come on with the regular reverse lights.
I wired up one of the upfitter switches so that I could turn the reverse lights on without having to shift the transmission into reverse.
Great that you included the diode. So many of the lights and accessories are computer controlled that back feeding the system by simply inducing power near the point of use will send errant signals to other items in the system. There is often times no telling where the signal will manifest itself so an ample supply of properly rated diodes is needed for aftermarket accessories and amendments to the system.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:14 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Something to keep in mind with the diodes is the .6 voltage drop across the diode.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:13 PM
klassic
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm interested in shutting the reverse lights off when in reverse. At night, when backing up my 5th wheel trailer, the reflection is blinding.
I guess i would put in a n/c relay in line, controlled by an upfitter switch?

Old 11-08-2016, 11:45 PM
lindenj
Junior User

(It's not legal, but I have, on occasion, used the reverse switch to show my annoyance to folks who are tailgating me, and to signal meathead drivers who are behind me at night with their Hi-Beams on.)
I would love to see pics of the diode set-up!
thnx

Old 11-09-2016, 11:56 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Originally Posted by lindenj
I would love to see pics of the diode set-up!
thnx
Literally, it's nothing to look at. There is a Diode that's now in line with the existing wire, and the upfitter wire is spliced after it.

I cut the Reverse wire going to my trailer connector. Then soldered the Anode end of the diode to the Ford wire that comes from the front of the truck. Then I soldered the other end of the cut Ford wire to the Cathode side of the diode. (The Cathode side is marked with a white stripe.) From there, I also soldered my new upfitter power wire to the Cathode side of the diode. The wire then goes to my supplemental reverse lights.

The Diode and the solder connections are covered in shrink tubing, and I put it into a piece of split wire-loom. It looks like any other wiring under the truck.

Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2016, 11:13 PM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would also put a diode in the wire from the upfitter relay to prevent back feed to the upfitter if you shift into reverse while you have the lights turned on manually. It probably won't hurt anything without it, but diodes are cheap and easy. :-)

(and make sure that tailgater isn't an unmarked cop car. He might not let you off even if he was tailgating you...)

Old 11-10-2016, 03:01 AM
HoustonianDale
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by porthole
Something to keep in mind with the diodes is the .6 voltage drop across the diode.
Can you put two in parallel or choose a bigger one to avoid this?

Old 11-10-2016, 06:55 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Originally Posted by HoustonianDale
Can you put two in parallel or choose a bigger one to avoid this?
Diodes in parallel are no different than a single diode. No matter how many you have in parallel, the total voltage drop is 0.6 volts. They are a semi-conductor - and respond differently than a resistor. Even if you use a big Diode that can carry a lot of current - they all drop 0.6V across their P-N junction.

If you put diodes in series, then the voltage drops add up; 0.6 volts each.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
If you are worried about voltage drop across the diode you should use that circuit to power a relay and bring fresh, clean power to the relay for the operation of the lights or whatever you are attempting to operate.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:47 AM
HoustonianDale
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
That voltage drop is insignificant. I was just curious.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:51 PM
hollapm
Tuned
Great information posted. Is it possible to wire in reverse aux lights to an up-fitter switch so that they are:
always off (so not to put out too much light while camping or close to an object)
On in reverse
Always on (when needing to light up a camping spot)

in thinking out loud I think that it would have to be set up with 2 up-fitter switches to accomplish this since none of the up-fitters are dual pole. So switch one on works with reversem switch 2 is aways on and all switch one and two off is always off. Is there another way to do this?

Old 07-18-2018, 05:57 AM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hollapm - haven't done it myself, but you're correct - need 2 upfitters.

Quick Reply: Reverse lights wired to upfitter switch