1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Funky behavior with lights.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 04:57 PM
jayrock67f100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funky behavior with lights.

Hello everyone this is a new thread for me so bear with me. I would like to first start off with the fact that I am close to being done with my restoration project 1967 f100.

now that I am almost done I am down to the wiring. The lighting switch turn signal switch ignition switch and pretty much all new wiring that go with those switches have been replaced including the brake pedal switch.

Now that I have everything hooked up and power the weirdest things are happening. I have brake lights and I have rear running lights I have headlights when they're on fully and I have passenger side parking light upfront. When the light switch is pulled halfway on I only have the running brake lights and the passenger side parking light but the turn signal green arrow in the truck left-hand side is on and the driver side parking light is off. When I flip the switch to the right hand signal nothing happens green arrow stays on on the left and parking light upfront on the driver side stays off when I turn the signal to the left the parking light both parking lights are on out front in the green left and arrow goes away. I have all the lights working but they're not functioning properly and I don't have blinkers which I am pretty sure that it's because the flasher itself is bad. I would like any help on this that I could possibly get it is very frustrating and I'm touring every last bit of hair I have out ha ha Ha

Last edited by jayrock67f100; 11-04-2016 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Wrong truck year
Old 11-04-2016, 05:15 PM
jayrock67f100
New User
Also. The left turn arrow stays on and driver side light off when turn signal switch is completely unplugged.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:17 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Old 11-04-2016, 05:38 PM
jayrock67f100
New User
thanks for the diagram but the wires on this dont match totally with the new tss. Also i think the problem is beyond the tss. I dont understand why the left turn signal arrow stays on with tss unplugged.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:31 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Wire colors may be different but the circuit paths should be the same for everything to function properly.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:55 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Add a few more grounds and see what happens.

Bed to frame
Cab to frame
Core support to frame

Verify engine to cab and engine to battery.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:37 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmm it sound like your using LED light blubs with out the all the grounding resistor and correct flashing units.
Orich

Old 11-05-2016, 09:37 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by orich
Hmm it sound like your using LED light blubs with out the all the grounding resistor and correct flashing units.
Orich
The clunky hang-on ballast resistors only have to be used with LEDs, to prevent hyper flashing, if you don't use the appropriate flashers. --makes much more sense to use the LED compatible flashers, which is just a simple plug in than to cut/splice ballast resistors onto the wires.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:28 PM
jayrock67f100
New User
I am not using LED lights. All factory stuff but with all new switches. The problem I am having is that when I unplug my turn signal switch all together from the dash the left turn arrow on dash stays lit and the left parking light stays off. i am confused also to what flasher is what! The canister one is for enegency flasher??? Is there one behing gauge cluster??? Not sure what the heck is going on. I am ready to just run all new wires. Its a shame because all wires look in really good shape.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:09 PM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jayrock67f100
I am not using LED lights. All factory stuff but with all new switches. The problem I am having is that when I unplug my turn signal switch all together from the dash the left turn arrow on dash stays lit and the left parking light stays off. i am confused also to what flasher is what! The canister one is for enegency flasher??? Is there one behing gauge cluster??? Not sure what the heck is going on. I am ready to just run all new wires. Its a shame because all wires look in really good shape.
Yes,you have two flashers. The one that may be mounted behind the instrument panel is for the turn signals. Of course the other is for the 4-way flasher/emergency flashers. Along with adding more ground wires, as Hio stated, CLEAN-UP/CHECK the grounds (replace rusty ground screws- I use stainless steel) for the front and rear parking/turn signals. You may be able to spot them threw the front grill. I had to remove the headlight bulbs to get to all of mine(You may want to add a extendsion to the ground wire and move them for better access, while you're there)

Old 11-05-2016, 07:14 PM
jayrock67f100
New User
Originally Posted by GaryKip
Yes,you have two flashers. The one that may be mounted behind the instrument panel is for the turn signals. Of course the other is for the 4-way flasher/emergency flashers. Along with adding more ground wires, as Hio stated, CLEAN-UP/CHECK the grounds (replace rusty ground screws- I use stainless steel) for the front and rear parking/turn signals. You may be able to spot them threw the front grill. I had to remove the headlight bulbs to get to all of mine(You may want to add a extendsion to the ground wire and move them for better access, while you're there)

sorry, i guess i should give some history. The truck is a frame off restoration. It is just recently back from tje paint shop. All new grounds and all new switches have been done. With the exception of the flashing lights, all lights work. Brake lights running lights.. However, the front driver side parking light only comes on when i engage the left turn on the tss; also when i do this, the green arrow light on dash goes away. When tss is in neutral position the left green arrow on dash comes on and driver side parking light goes away again. When the right turn signal is engaged the left green arrow stays lit and still know driver side parking light stays off. During all of this, the passenger side parking light stays on. I currently do not have a flasher installed for the emergency flashing and i am not sure if the flasher for turn signal lights is good or not. Here is the kicker; when i unhook all wires from the tss switch, the left green arrow light stays lit and driver side parking light still off, and passenger parking light on... Like i said, funky stuff!!

Old 11-05-2016, 09:09 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have found that on my 71 the park/blinkers light bulb socket are very loose sloppy fit.
An it's easy to install the blubs wrong even though the 1157 blubs have the side **** at different heights they will still lock into the socket backwards.

The 70-72 are kind of hard to grip to remove & install.

Not saying you did this but it can cause odd things to happen.
Orich

Old 11-05-2016, 09:37 PM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by orich
I have found that on my 71 the park/blinkers light bulb socket are very loose sloppy fit.
An it's easy to install the blubs wrong even though the 1157 blubs have the side **** at different heights they will still lock into the socket backwards.

The 70-72 are kind of hard to grip to remove & install.

Not saying you did this but it can cause odd things to happen.
Orich
2X Orichs comments, start with looking at the simplest things first. You'll find it.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:11 AM
jayrock67f100
New User
Good point... The bulb is installed properly, I do know that for sure; however, I have had a problem with the driver side parking light socket and the bulb IS kind of sloppy in there. I would love to replace the socket but not sure what the best course of action would be on that. They do make aftermarket sockets but my experience with aftermarket items such as this has been, well less than desirable. Having a loose bulb would keep a turn signal arrow on??? I am going to run some additional grounding wires from frame to cab and engine and also to core support, see if that helps matters. Any suggestions on fixing that socket too is welcome. I wanted to avoid having to take the grill off due to all the work that the body shop guys took to get it perfect. Thanks for all the help so far you all! We'll get er' figured out one way or another.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:17 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by jayrock67f100
Good point... The bulb is installed properly, I do know that for sure; however, I have had a problem with the driver side parking light socket and the bulb IS kind of sloppy in there. I would love to replace the socket but not sure what the best course of action would be on that. They do make aftermarket sockets but my experience with aftermarket items such as this has been, well less than desirable. Having a loose bulb would keep a turn signal arrow on??? I am going to run some additional grounding wires from frame to cab and engine and also to core support, see if that helps matters. Any suggestions on fixing that socket too is welcome. I wanted to avoid having to take the grill off due to all the work that the body shop guys took to get it perfect. Thanks for all the help so far you all! We'll get er' figured out one way or another.
I'd remove the park lamp lens and remove that bulb. Then see if the arrow goes out. If it does not, then remove the cluster and check the wiring on the back of it for anything suspect. Run the wire for the arrow and see if it's going in the correct path. 3X on the grounds.

Quick Reply: Funky behavior with lights.