Aerostar Ford Aerostar

96 Aerostar 3.0L 2WD - Rack & Pinion Steel Lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:08 PM
rhblakeman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 Aerostar 3.0L 2WD - Rack & Pinion Steel Lines

I'm sure people in the salt belt have had this problem so I'm crossing my fingers for an easy answer

Been losing steering fluid near the junction of the steering column on the rack and pinion. All indications were that the pressure hose was at fault so I replaced it today. Still flowing but we were able to pinpoint it - the steel line that connects to the fitting below the return line on the rack and pinion and goes to the bottom center of the rack and pinion body. I think they call it a he rack unit itself was replace like 8 yrs ago, maybe less. I've had the van since the beginning of 2006 and I replaced it a few years later. The return line lays on top of this line and has rubbed a hole in it. On a bend so a brake line splice is not going to work.

It looks like steel brake line, unsure of the flare and type of fittings on the ends. I have a bender and double flare tool and I can get steel brake line and can reuse the fittings IF this is similar to brake lines.

Another alternative is does someone here in the states have a nice solid line they would want to sell and send USPS in a box? Junk yards in this area are nothing more than crushers, they dont keep vehicles for longer than it takes to make sure the vehicle isn't on a stolen sheet. The nearest pull a part or pick a part is like 60 miles in Louisville.

Or does anyone know of a source that makes these lines for rebuilders?

Yes I could buy a rebuild and put that in but then it involves all the work to replace it as well as an alignment. Buying a whole rebuild to get a steel line is madness.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:55 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take the bad line off and take it to a NAPA or high end auto parts store, not the kids behind the counter type.

Should be able to set you up with steel line and fittings or a long brake/hydraulic with correct fittings.

Is the old one rusted inside, common failure. If there is rust, the R&P is shot.
Pump fill cap leaks in water like a drain from above cowling scupper, put a tin can over the fill hole spout/cap
Put an inline filter such as MagnaCraft auto tranny inline filter in the PS return line.
Tricks we've learned DIYering these tough tank vans for decades.
Mine is 20 years old.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:34 PM
rhblakeman
New User
The rack and pinion is less than 8 yrs old, the elbow for the return line above it has been vibrating a hole into the steel line that has the leak. I'll probably just get a length of steel brake line and see what I can do, if it gets down to it I can rob the one from my wife's 93 that is sitting waiting for me to replace the torque converter

Old 12-06-2016, 12:24 PM
ugltrk
Junior User
rhblakeman....Had the same prob with my 97, Ford doesn't offer a replacement line(have to buy the complete assy) If there is a Pullit yard, you may can find what you need there. I robbed one off a 95 parts van I have, it was showing signs of wear, I silver soldered it and also put a piece of rubber tubing @ the wear spot.

96_4wdr...You answered my search question about water in PS fluid, will the filter you recommend trap the water, or do I need to flush.
Also, while we are on the fluid/ line issue....which fluid is best/ok to use?

Thanks, Bill

Old 12-06-2016, 01:04 PM
rhblakeman
New User
I corrected it, made one using the old ends and new steel brake line of the proper size

Old 12-07-2016, 11:37 AM
don-ohio
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of those units had a lifetime warranty. If you bought it at Auto-Zone, or other,they may replace it next time you have a problem. don-ohio (:^)

Old 12-07-2016, 11:55 AM
rhblakeman
New User
And that involves removal of the old assembly, putting on the new assembly, having the front end aligned. They also put the word limited in with lifetime warranty as it doesn't cover damage done by improper installation or other objects just failures of the unit due to faulty materials or workmanship. The way I did it took an hour, no hassles with warranty.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:05 PM
don-ohio
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well,whatever floats yer boat. If you have a problem with that aging assembly in a year or two,you may see it my way.
don-ohio (:^)

Old 12-07-2016, 12:27 PM
rhblakeman
New User
I see your point Don but the van is 20 yrs old, I'm not putting any more money into it as it's soon to be a craiglist listing up for sale