Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2017 F150 opinion, 3.5 turbos or 5.0 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 05:34 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you want King Ranch, so the options are almost set except engines. I bought 3.5 Ecoboost and love it, power and economy, but I like the 5.0 too. Ecoboost is a tough engine! Like old, who is it, Tom says, "Turbos. Replacing displacement since 1905" or some such. For pure power, I'd get Ecoboost.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:34 PM
roguewave
Busted Knuckles
Received 131 Likes on 56 Posts
59,000 bucks out the door, yikes! I wouldn't of bought it for myself, but for my lovely wife of 30 years? She's worth it

Old 10-28-2016, 11:36 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
Good call and congrats! The folks who swear by the 5.0 are old school IMO. Turbos have proven pretty darn reliable to the point that I wouldn't think twice about them. The 3.5 is a superior motor by far. That doesn't mean everyone needs to get one, I told a guy today that for his needs the 5.0 was better. "The 3.5 is the best, most powerful, motor Ford has for the F150, but you've had the 5.0 for a few years and you really like it, so why spend the extra money for something you don't need?"
How is it "far superior" when it has had a lot more issues than the 5L, and actually makes less peak horsepower? It makes more torque at lower RPM (than the 5L) and more at altitude, but it's certainly not a "far superior" engine, overall.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
A lot of misconceptions on here about turbos and overall maintenance of the EB 3.5L. The early 5.0L has had just as many issues as the early 3.5L EB. It's not a crapshoot folks, these are both incredible engines. I love my ecoboost but to be fair and honest, I probably wouldn't get another one because I simply don't need it and I don't feel that the extra money is worth it for my usaage. In fact, I'd likely opt for the N/A 3.5L.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:00 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
A lot of misconceptions on here about turbos and overall maintenance of the EB 3.5L. The early 5.0L has had just as many issues as the early 3.5L EB. It's not a crapshoot folks, these are both incredible engines. I love my ecoboost but to be fair and honest, I probably wouldn't get another one because I simply don't need it and I don't feel that the extra money is worth it for my usaage. In fact, I'd likely opt for the N/A 3.5L.
Actually, no, it hasn't. Drop by your Ford dealer and ask which one has had more bulletins and more customer complaints. It's not even close. Why do you think the next generation EB has already been released? Engines usually have a much longer life span before major revisions. That doesn't mean that the first gen is junk, so don't get your panties in a bunch. But it undeniably had it's share of serious issues.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:12 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,362 Likes on 1,708 Posts
Originally Posted by Delta Echo
Actually, no, it hasn't. Drop by your Ford dealer and ask which one has had more bulletins and more customer complaints. It's not even close. Why do you think the next generation EB has already been released? Engines usually have a much longer life span before major revisions. That doesn't mean that the first gen is junk, so don't get your panties in a bunch. But it undeniably had it's share of serious issues.
I think both of these engines are outstanding. I currently have one of each with no complaints on either.

Machines break every day, that's just a fact of life. A few years ago, I had a 5.0 engine that had to be replaced under warranty with 600 miles on it because of a broken crank. In fact, that truck developed so many other issues that Ford bought it back.

I have complete confidence in the 3.5 EB and the 5.0. I don't think you can go wrong with either engine.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE
I think both of these engines are outstanding. I currently have one of each with no complaints on either.

Machines break every day. That's just a fact of life. A few years ago, I had a 5.0 engine that had to be replaced under warranty with 600 miles on it because of a broken crank. In fact, that truck developed so many other issues that Ford bought it back.

I have complete confidence in the 3.5 EB and the 5.0. I don't think you can go wrong with either engine.
I never said that they weren't both good engines. I simply pointed out that the 3.5 isn't "vastly superior", as another person claimed in this thread. And I pointed out that the 3.5 has had more bulletins and customer complaints than the 5L, which is another undeniable fact. A sample of one or two is statistically meaningless.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:48 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
It also depends how you use each engine. For towing at altitude the 3.5 EB is vastly superior. In most other circumstances they are pretty equal.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:34 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,362 Likes on 1,708 Posts
I never said that they weren't both good engines. I simply pointed out that the 3.5 isn't "vastly superior", as another person claimed in this thread. And I pointed out that the 3.5 has had more bulletins and customer complaints than the 5L, which is another undeniable fact. A sample of one or two is statistically meaningless.
Your comments make it sound like you are against the EB and think the 5.0 is superior. As others have stated, the 5.0 has had its fair share of issues too. The ticking noise issue quickly comes to mind. Fortunately, none of my trucks with the 5.0 have had that problem. If the EB had that many issues, Ford wouldn't be selling as many as they are.

No matter what, I think both engines are good choices, and a buyer can't go wrong with either one.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:29 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE
Your comments make it sound like you are against the EB and think the 5.0 is superior. As others have stated, the 5.0 has had its fair share of issues too. The ticking noise issue quickly comes to mind. Fortunately, none of my trucks with the 5.0 have had that problem. If the EB had that many issues, Ford wouldn't be selling as many as they are.

No matter what, I think both engines are good choices, and a buyer can't go wrong with either one.
Really? It sounds like you are reading what you want to read. All I did was point out that the first gen EB was is not the best engine ever (like some of the fan boys seem to think), and certainly not "vastly superior" to the 5L. My exact words: "I never said that they weren't both good engines."

Are you aware that the EB has several class-action lawsuits filed? Are you aware of the myriad of service bulletins? All vehicles have bulletins, but not usually like the EB has had. Just because you haven't had any problems doesn't mean that others don't.

Try doing some reading:
F150 Ecoboost Problems

Once again, I am not saying that the 3.5EB is a bad engine, so don't get your panties in a bunch again. But the first gen had a lot of growing pains, and if I were shopping for one at this time, I would buy a gen 2.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:28 PM
roguewave
Busted Knuckles
Received 131 Likes on 56 Posts
Just thought I'd share this for information purposes only...

"Three owners of Ford 3.5L V6 EcoBoost equipped vehicles have banded together to sue Ford. One of the plaintiffs has an F-150, the other two have a Ford Taurus SHO. They are experiencing a loss of power of which the cause has been determined to be moisture in the intercooler. In addition to that I’ve read there have been “dozens” of complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

At the end of the day I am not willing to take this very seriously, 3 people? That’s nothing compared to the millions of EcoBoost equipped vehicles Ford has sold. On top of that, what does “dozens of complaints” really mean? Two dozen is the same as 24, I still don’t find that to be very many in comparison to the millions of Ecoboosts sold. The percentage of failures is such a small number it is practically negligible. I of course do hope that people experiencing these troubles get their problems resolved quickly and permanently."

Old 10-30-2016, 03:29 AM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Originally Posted by roguewave
Just thought I'd share this for information purposes only...

"Three owners of Ford 3.5L V6 EcoBoost equipped vehicles have banded together to sue Ford. One of the plaintiffs has an F-150, the other two have a Ford Taurus SHO. They are experiencing a loss of power of which the cause has been determined to be moisture in the intercooler. In addition to that I’ve read there have been “dozens” of complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

At the end of the day I am not willing to take this very seriously, 3 people? That’s nothing compared to the millions of EcoBoost equipped vehicles Ford has sold. On top of that, what does “dozens of complaints” really mean? Two dozen is the same as 24, I still don’t find that to be very many in comparison to the millions of Ecoboosts sold. The percentage of failures is such a small number it is practically negligible. I of course do hope that people experiencing these troubles get their problems resolved quickly and permanently."
LOL, you pick one of several original class-action lawsuits as evidence, as though only 3 people on the original suit (more have added on) makes it less of a problem?

Why don't you try reading about some of the other service bulletins, instead of handing your blind loyalty over to a corporation that only cares about your money? The EB has had a lot of issues that would not have happened to a traditional NA engine. If that somehow hurts your feelings, . It's hilarious how so many people get butthurt about any slightly negative comments about their vehicle, as though it's some sort of commentary on their manhood. I can't stop laughing.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:28 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
It's hilarious how so many people get butthurt about any slightly negative comments about their vehicle, as though it's some sort of commentary on their manhood. I can't stop laughing.
It was also funny how you got butt hurt when someone said the Eco was superior.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Maybe Ford needs to create a second gen 5.0L then because it's still suffering from ticking issues and oil consumption issues. Not all of course but that's true for the 3.5L as well, not all.

The class action for the vacuum pump has been addressed and fixed. All 2011/12 EB trucks have been offered a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty on the vacuum pump alone. Direct Injected engines don't make vacuum. In 2013 the pump was relocated and perhaps even redesigned to better suit the needs of the truck.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:45 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Why does everyone get so worked up over this? I just don't get it...

I agree with Delta Echo, they're both solid engines. I think the severity of the 5.0L issues we've seen offsets the greater number of smaller issues with the EcoBoost engines. Just my opinion though, I like my truck, and I'm sure I'd like it just the same if it had the 5.0L engine. Or the 2.7L engine, for that matter!

To my knowledge the moisture in CAC issue has been resolved for 2015, and I suspect the separate grille shutters for the CAC have something to do with that. My 2013 never gave me issues in humid weather, neither has my current truck.

Seriously, folks, and I'm not saying this as a mod. Less divisive butthurt, and more camaraderie. We're all better off that way.

Quick Reply: 2017 F150 opinion, 3.5 turbos or 5.0 ?