2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Mercedes trucks X-Class Concept

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 07:15 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Mercedes trucks X-Class Concept

Mercedes trucks into the deep end with X-Class Concept

Mercedes trucks into the deep end with X-Class Concept

It might have been unthinkable in past, but Mercedes moving into the world of trucks actually makes sense. Pickup truck sales are growing rapidly, as people start to think of them as lifestyle vehicles rather than workhorses. Fourteen percent of all light vehicles sold in Australia are pickup trucks, and it's a similar story in Latin America. Even those sophisticated Europeans love them.

With that in mind, Mercedes has aimed the X-Class at buyers who want to drive it around the city during the week, before loading it up with bikes, kayaks and surfboards for their weekend adventures.

The rear-light loop on the Mercedes X-Class is unique
From the outside, the design team has done a good job of hiding the fact the X-Class shares a close relationship with a Nissan. The slim headlamps, glitzy grille and deep front splitter have all been adapted from existing Mercedes models, and the wraparound taillight treatment on the white Stylish Explorer X-Class give it a totally unique feel from the rear.

You're also unlikely to find 22-inch wheels on the Navara or Alaskan, although there's no guarantee they'll make it to production here, either.

In matte green Powerful Adventurer trim, the X-Class swaps the pretty front bumper and shiny wheels for off-road ready parts. The looped taillights are also gone, replaced by a netted tailgate and more conventional lights. To our eyes, it's the more attractive of the two cars shown.

The X-Class might be a concept at the moment, but the interior looks production ready. From the standard COMAND infotainment system to the circular air vents, the new pickup borrows plenty from the E-Class and C-Class, although no amount of leather will hide the fact it's fitted with an old-fashioned mechanical handbrake and traditional gear stick.

Behind the wheel of the Mercedes X-Class
Although it's a bit prettier than the average pickup, Mercedes says the coil-sprung five-link rear axle on the X-Class gives it a peak payload of 1.1 tons, and a peak towing capacity of 3.5 tons. It will be interesting to see if this practical setup can also deliver the ride quality and damping you'd expect in a Mercedes, although the company was adamant its pickup would feel properly at home on the road.

Range-topping cars will also be fitted with a clever 4MATIC four-wheel drive system with dual differential locks and a transfer case for a bit of extra off-road capability. Details about the full range of engines will be offered closer to the production car's launch in 2017, but we do know a torquey V6 turbodiesel will sit at the top of the tree.

The X-Class will hit showrooms late in 2017. Expect to see a full production reveal early next year – but if you can't wait until then, you can check out more pictures of the concept in our gallery or take a look at the video below.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:30 PM
HoustonianDale
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Just a Nissan Frontier in an expensive skin.

I wish they had let some of their engineers loose on an off-road militaryish midsize. The result would probably be very unique.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:38 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrong forum?

Old 10-26-2016, 07:52 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by fidel.medrano
Wrong forum?
Agreed!

I don't get it?

Old 10-26-2016, 09:48 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
So strange you posted this. I JUST saw a 2019 Mercedes concept truck tonight. It is bad to the bone....

Old 10-26-2016, 10:56 PM
Jace2016
Elder User
Old 10-27-2016, 08:37 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
Give the guy a break, he's US Army Infantry.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:07 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
The SD/HD truck market in the US is big, REALLY BIG and the profit to the manuf (my guess) is staggering. Its got to be catching the eye of MB who builds in that space but its a commercial offering, they don't play at the King Ranch/Plt level. Looking at the most basic F350 CC LWB it a $50k entry fee, between there and the KR/PLT its $25-$30k worth of options.

I will hazard a guess that Ford can roll a F 350 base out the door on the assembly line for well under $20k dead cost to build only.

Bottom line when you have owned the market as long as Ford has and are selling truck that are knocking on the door of a $100k with massaging seats it gonna catch the eye of some big players like MB. MB is a MAJOR global truck provider. If there is anyone out there that can go heads up as a truck and as a luxe truck its MB.

I know some of you have spent a lot of time outside the US like I have and out there you see 2 trucks dominate: Toyota and MB, lightweight and heavyweight.

I personally would welcome MB entry into the F250> up class in the US. I love competition and good for us the consumer.

As for this thread being in the wrong forum: I put here because I figured those who are buying into the '17 with its complete new truck are the kind of folks that like being on the leading edge and are more knowledgable that most buyers in the truck market and that is the reason why I put it here, I thought you would be most interested. Sorry if offended some of you...I won't be offended if you have it moved to a forum where there is a different audience...

Old 10-27-2016, 09:08 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by EightySecond
Give the guy a break, he's US Army Infantry.
HOOOO AHHHH

Old 10-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In reality this model the OP looks more like a baby Unimog, one of the greatest 4wd I have ever had the pleasure to witness. Concept X Class seems a little different:

Old 10-27-2016, 09:27 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
HOOOO AHHHH

Old 10-27-2016, 09:35 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Actually, the picture of that Gold one looks pretty slick. I like it. I'm sure there will be buyers. Would be cool to have a little Mercedes diesel in it.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenv
Actually, the picture of that Gold one looks pretty slick. I like it. I'm sure there will be buyers. Would be cool to have a little Mercedes diesel in it.
This is a release article from Fox News, Fair and Balanced:

Old 10-27-2016, 11:27 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Wasn't the Lincoln truck a flop? LOL

Old 10-27-2016, 11:39 AM
HoustonianDale
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, but they won't design this one to look like a casket.

Quick Reply: Mercedes trucks X-Class Concept