6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Running off road diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:03 PM
modeltee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofan
Sorry I don't believe your story for a minute. They don't make you remove the fuel, all they do is fine you. Also the EPA guys don't watch with binoculars from a distance either This is coming from somebody that running "off-road" diesel who got caught. It's as simple as a fine based on how much you have in your tank. Just so that everybody is clear, there isn't any difference anymore between "offroad" and "onroad" diesel anymore except the color. The EPA mandated years back that everything was ULSD, and the only thing that isn't that is heating oil. So no running "off-road" diesel in your truck isn't going to hurt it or do anything different that the onroad will. Before the USA made the switch there was a higher sulfur content which made for better lubrication for diesel engines.
Well, believe what you want. The EPA can make you do what they want to. The truck was towed and all the off road fuel removed. You obviously don't understand government bureaucracy very well.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:09 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by fordboy2
I contemplated throwing some in my tank in the bed that drains into the main tank when I got fuel tonight. I chickened out and spent the extra 30 cents a gallon. The truck doesn't see much use off the farm is why I thought about it. Question though, if I filled up once and used the tank of fuel up on the farm, when I filled up again with on road diesel there would be no trace, correct?
If you ran it literally empty and filled with road fuel then there would be no trace or concern. Basically if you remove the top of the secondary fuel filter on the engine and see no tint of red then your good. Or pull the water drain plug and catch it in a clear cup. No red, no problem.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:31 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The tax part of off-road fuel is an IRS issue, not the EPA....

Old 11-02-2016, 07:46 PM
rjglenn
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem isn't the fine, or having to drain the fuel, or whatever. Here in Florida the Dept. of Revenue submits your name to the IRS as a known tax evader. Not a title I want by my name so I'll just pay the tax, thanks.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by modeltee
Well, believe what you want. The EPA can make you do what they want to. The truck was towed and all the off road fuel removed. You obviously don't understand government bureaucracy very well.
I can say that this never happened. Just by you saying that the EPA did it tells the story. Next thing your gonna say is the EPA has a whole army of teams just watching off-road diesel pumps waiting for somebody to pump them in a truck then drive away. The EPA doesn't care about the fuel because it's not ANY different then on-road except the dye! Stop spreading garbage lies on this forum. As previously stated, the only people that care are the IRS and how do they enforce it? Police officers. They could care less about dumping the fuel, towing the truck etc. Not too much different then running on-road diesel except you paid $1 less.....Now if you can get some heating oil, that's where it's at.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofan
...Now if you can get some heating oil, that's where it's at.
To keep it within the FTE guidelines...

I'll bet hauling cigarettes in your 6L SuperDuty/Excursion () from say (NC) to GA/FL/NY (etc) and selling them would be way simpler and generate a lot more revenue - but you'd likely get caught REALLY fast.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:18 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A red or pink fuel sample gets sent to a lab for analysis. Refusing a dip is a fine, and makes you look guilty. Dyed fuel is not taxed. It is tax evasion.

The IRS will fine you either $10/gallon or a $1,000, whichever is greater.

Old 11-05-2016, 04:17 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I had a friend that use to run it all the time in his truck. Lived in Leesburg, Ga. Small town, mostly agricultural. Filled his truck and got about a mile down the road and was pulled over by an unmarked vehicle. The first question he was asked was if he was a farmer, which he wasn't. The next question was have you ever ran off-road fuel in your vehicle to which he replied not that I know of. A sample was pulled from his tank and it was off-road fuel. A tow truck took the truck to the dealer and all the fuel was removed even down to taking off the injector rails. By the time he finished paying the fuel removal charge and the fines he had paid a little over six thousand dollars. The EPA guys that pulled him over were watching the station from a distance with a pair of binoculars. I wouldn't risk it.
Wow...that's a real pair of f****sticks right there...or a really silly story.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:29 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
The tax part of off-road fuel is an IRS issue, not the EPA....
Chris is correct it not the EPA it's Revenue. So your story is just that a story.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 11-06-2016, 04:40 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by hwybee22
Can I run off road diesel? Is there any pros or con? Besides being illegal.
Do it! if you're in an area that is not going to dip you you'll save a ton of money however, if they dip you once and find color you'll lose eveything you've saved and then some. The bright side is your engine will love the extra lubrication in the dyed fuel.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:14 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1
Do it! if you're in an area that is not going to dip you you'll save a ton of money however, if they dip you once and find color you'll lose eveything you've saved and then some. The bright side is your engine will love the extra lubrication in the dyed fuel.
On road & Off road fuels are exactly the same except the die. Same formulation, same batches of fuel.
I think what you are referring to is Home Heating oil. Many believe it is not as refined to remove the sulfur so it's not full of the stripping chemicals that take away the lubricity.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:35 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
I think Allan was being sarcastic.

I can see someone not familiar with diesel and farming, swinging into a station that offers off road fuel and splashing some in there. There is a sign about it being for off-road use and fines and bla bla, but hey, speeding is illegal too right? Plus look how much cheaper it is!

I don't mind someone asking if they don't know and I even enjoy a bs story once in while .

Old 11-07-2016, 12:24 PM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
So how does it work if the truck is operated both on and off road. If I fill up with red and run around the ranch then put green in and hit the highway only to get stopped am I screwed even if I've put more green diesel in than I'm using on the road?

Old 11-07-2016, 12:32 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Yes. Off-road fuel is intended for use by machines, equipment, tractors, etc, not pickups.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Twice I have bought off road diesel ( filled up a few 5 gallon cans for my tractor and mower to see if they would run any different, they didn't) at two different stations. They were not pay at pump. When I got inside they asked for my tax ID #. Told them I didn't have one and they added tax back to it. Ended up costing me a little more. Don't know about elsewhere but that's how it is down here.

Quick Reply: Running off road diesel?