Sponsored by: DP Tuner

can't pull a load

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 04:37 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
can't pull a load

02 75,000 been running perfectly. Today, camped, trying to hot spot in as no internet. Starts fine, runs fine as long as no load then shudders like crazy. Only DTC is 6030. Can't get out of campground. Plenty of fuel, fuel filter full, oil full and just changed last week. Doesn't shut down, but no good as is. Quick ideas I can do with only a few tools in the middle of nowhere?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 10-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Clogged fuel intake in tank? It sounds like it's starving for fuel. How's the fuel filter?

Old 10-25-2016, 04:56 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Filter filter just changed 5,000 miles ago, always changed on schedule. If it is clogged in tank, I guess I am looking at a tow.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Slyhuntr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you done the hutch/harpoon mods? If so did you put an inlet screen in? You could try blowing back into tank and see if it runs better afterwords, but it most likely will clog again quickly if is trash in tank.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:04 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Agreed sounds fuel related. Tons of white smoke? Fuel pump or clogged in tank screens. Roadside fuel volume check: put hose from end of fuel drain tube (near front pass tire) to clean container. Open yellow fuel drain lever. Have helper key on ignition but not start. Fuel pump will run for 20 seconds. If healthy sploosh goes into container you're probably good, just a trickle is bad. If bad next step would be a hose on the back of the fuel pump (see clip image below) to draw from a clean container of fuel, then same test. If good now then it looks like clogged screens in tank. Open fuel cap and blow shop air from your handy on-board air compressor back thru the line to clear the screens. A bicycle pump might work, I suppose.

What did you use to pull the 603 code? Many cheapo readers will not see the codes on our marginally-compliant OBD set up.P0603 just means the batteries were disconnected. Or power lost to PCM by other means.

Also inspect underside of engine harness where it drapes across driver side valve cover. That's the "42 pin" connector and it can chafe on the vc causing shorts.

What's you're location?

Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2016, 05:18 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
No smoke. Just shudder and power loss, but never has quit (so far). Haven't done mod. Just one of those things on my list, if work ever slows. I have to figure out how to rig a hose to check fuel through bowl drain. I know where it is.

I figured code was just left over from when I disconnected and cleans battery cables. Have an Edge to read DTCs, but run in stock mode only.

Will check harness, but thought that would also affect at idle.

I am outside of Elizabethan, TN. Getting dark so may have to do some of this in morning.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:38 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Not to sound insulting, but does it have enough oil in it?

Can you get a fuel pressure reading?

Does the motor rev in neutral?

Unfortunately that code does not come up on my list of codes.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:42 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Not insulted at all. Oil just changed last week. First thing I checked. It is full. Engine revs in neutral with no problem. Runs without a glitch until I try to move the truck. Shudder can be quite severe. thought at first it was driveline, if not for lack of power.

No way to check fuel pressure, but opening filter drain with hose extension and just trying ignition on, nothing - but truck starts right up and runs fine sitting still. Sounds perfect!

Old 10-25-2016, 05:45 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Could you have a transmission issue going on? Could it be trying to engage 2 gears at once?

Old 10-25-2016, 05:46 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
One additional thing I noticed and wife commented on. On way to campground truck sounded like it was working way too hard for the grade we were on. I can hear it when I work it. In terms of not getting fuel, that is the page I was on at the start. Have 3/4 of a tank.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:48 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I haven't figure out a way to entirely run out the tranny other than it has never been abused, has had regular fluid changes, and the fiver we tow is only 7,500 pounds so we have never worked it hard and never drive it hard.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:51 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
And I didn't notice any smoke, but my wife just told me there was a ton of white smoke when I tried driving it out of the campground and up the hill a little while ago.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:02 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
No way to check fuel pressure, but opening filter drain with hose extension and just trying ignition on, nothing - but truck starts right up and runs fine sitting still. Sounds perfect!
Could be that the drain is plugged from lack of use, but otherwise sounds similar to mine when the pump died. Idled fine, but could barely move.

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
And I didn't notice any smoke, but my wife just told me there was a ton of white smoke when I tried driving it out of the campground and up the hill a little while ago.
Mine also gushed white diesel flavored smoke when the pump was dead, or mostly dead.

Conventional wisdom is stock Bosch pump is the best. Carter pump from the Irish (labelled some other name) has worked for me for several years now, but I have seen reports of failures here.

Clogged screens not ruled out, but I'm thinking pump.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Drain works. I can drain some out of filter, but once that is done, it is done. Now trying to figure out how to get fiver home and truck home. Just a pain. I have very little tolerance for things not working given I work so hard to maintain them. But I think consensus is fuel problem and there is nothing more I can do until I get these things home to where I can work on them. At least it is here rather than hundreds of miles away as it would be in a couple of months.

Thanks all. I will continue to monitor for additional suggestions.

Steve

Old 10-25-2016, 07:41 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Steve, do you have a chip or tuner on the truck? If so, remove/isolate it from the truck.

Guys, is it possible his torque converter is locking in and causing the problem? I have a manual ZF6 transmission, so just spit balling here.

Steve, what size 5th wheel are we talking about here in regards to weight?

Quick Reply: can't pull a load