2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Lightbars, Air horns, mega monster lift kits...I guess I am getting old...I don't get it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Saluki_guy
Tuned
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Lightbars, Air horns, mega monster lift kits...I guess I am getting old...I don't get it.

Title says it all. I guess I am getting older now but I think it is honestly the way I was raised. I grew up on a farm where trucks were trucks. Reading some of the threads on here about people already mounting light bars, fog/semi/train horns on their trucks....whats the appeal of this? Why would you do this? People are wanting to modify the oil or fuel system already because of what reason?! These are expensive, highly engineered vehicles.

Why bubba them??? It honestly baffles me and I do not get it.

BTW I have now inadvertently gotten my wife calling out the brodozers when she see's them and she even sends me pics when she is out. My wife

FWIW I am about to turn 35.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:46 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
For some guys it's their truck, others it's their garden, others it's their ham radio, remote control planes, gourmet cooking, politics, etc. Hobbies are hobbies. Fun things you get interested in and get enjoyment out of maximizing, tweaking, polishing, understanding or learning. Some hobbies are completely self-contained and others are annoying to everyone but the bro. I say whatever floats your boat as long as it doesn't hurt or unreasonably impose on others. To each their own.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:51 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Air tanks and compressor because I am not always in a convenient place when I want air. Whether for trailer, truck or wheeler tires or air tools I seem to want air available in out of the way situations. Air horns? I have a set of train horns but will probably mount a standard truck air horn to go along with it due to the azzes doing everything but driving with the tunes blaring and the windows up who cannot possibly even hear a regular horn. Regulations on horn db's, ya know. There are so many people oblivious to their surroundings who routinely drive in front of other traffic and there is no one to tell them it is wrong: even the cops just shake their heads and go on the other way. After all, "Truck Lives Matter."

Old 10-25-2016, 12:51 PM
Saluki_guy
Tuned
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Totally agree everybody has their hobbies. I am sitting at mine right now..my reloading bench. Resizing about 1k 5.56 cases this afternoon while watching netflix.

Thing is...as has been voiced by others...lightbars when used improperly on the highway, giant lift kits that are obviously illegal for highway use, and air horns to scare people is "not just a hobby" IMHO. Just my .02 though.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:55 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Saluki_guy
, and air horns to scare people is "not just a hobby" IMHO. Just my .02 though.
Proper use of air horns does not include just to scare people. If they endanger my life or vehicle and a blast scares them I hope they don't try it again. But not just for fun and giggles. That is childish.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:07 PM
BigStu59
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Air tanks and compressor because I am not always in a convenient place when I want air. Whether for trailer, truck or wheeler tires or air tools I seem to want air available in out of the way situations. Air horns? I have a set of train horns but will probably mount a standard truck air horn to go along with it due to the azzes doing everything but driving with the tunes blaring and the windows up who cannot possibly even hear a regular horn. Regulations on horn db's, ya know. There are so many people oblivious to their surroundings who routinely drive in front of other traffic and there is no one to tell them it is wrong: even the cops just shake their heads and go on the other way. After all, "Truck Lives Matter."
Rob. What kind of air compressor setup do you recommend? I want to do the same thing you are doing just need a reference to a good manufacturer for the setup.

Thanks

Old 10-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Texmudder
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Most people get a Viair compressor and tank. I had a Viair450. Worked just fine. You can mount it above the spare tire and it will stay clean and dry. I havent checked my 2017 for clearance up there yet, but I assume the void is still there.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Blk04Snake
Senior User
There is an outfit that I see ads for when I browse my Facebook wall but at this point only for up thru 2016 Super Duty. I've asked them and they will be making one for 2017 as soon as they get their hands on a truck to be able to fit a kit to.

Ah yes, this is it: ProBlaster? Horn Kits - kleinn.com

Old 10-25-2016, 01:15 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Or people that lower their trucks, Why have a "truck" that you cannot uses as a Truck.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:18 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
This brand is recommended in many of the RV Forums and also by Epic Cowlick from here in the forums. God luck Stu, I will go with their advice.
VIAIR Corporation - 12-Volt & 24-Volt Air Compressors and Pneumatic Systems
And here is a good video by Epic on the install:

Old 10-25-2016, 01:26 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
My momma told me that if I haven't grown up by the time I'm 50, I don't have to.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-25-2016, 01:28 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
My momma told me that if I haven't grown up by the time I'm 50, I don't have to.
Hey! I resemble that remark

Old 10-25-2016, 01:30 PM
BigStu59
Senior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
That's the way I feel

Old 10-25-2016, 01:33 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Rasalas
This brand is recommended in many of the RV Forums and also by Epic Cowlick from here in the forums. God luck Stu, I will go with their advice.
VIAIR Corporation - 12-Volt & 24-Volt Air Compressors and Pneumatic Systems
And here is a good video by Epic on the install:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77B6uWDio_A
Thtas the one I had in my motorhome, being a gasser I didn't have onboard air so I added this one.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:35 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Saluki_guy
Title says it all. I guess I am getting older now but I think it is honestly the way I was raised. I grew up on a farm where trucks were trucks. Reading some of the threads on here about people already mounting light bars, fog/semi/train horns on their trucks....whats the appeal of this? Why would you do this? People are wanting to modify the oil or fuel system already because of what reason?! These are expensive, highly engineered vehicles.

Why bubba them??? It honestly baffles me and I do not get it.

BTW I have now inadvertently gotten my wife calling out the brodozers when she see's them and she even sends me pics when she is out. My wife

FWIW I am about to turn 35.
For some people, it's about looks, for other people, utilitarian reasons. Using your logic where "trucks are trucks", I'm guessing you would buy the base model that doesn't have any creature comforts. As far as lift kits, I think they make trucks look stupid, but some guys love them. I can see myself installing a lift kit for taking a truck 4-wheeling in crazy deep mud, otherwise, it makes them look god-awful. I also can't imagine leveling a truck. It was designed specifically with the proper rake and to level it is to ruin that.

As far as light bars, I will be installing those immediately after receiving my truck. In Alaska we have a long winter of sometimes 16 hours of darkness and we have 1600 pound moose who love the highway system in the winter because of the plowed roads. When you're driving on ice and hitting a moose destroys your vehicle and endangers your family, seeing them a few hundred feet earlier in total darkness is the difference between a close call and disaster. I will also be installing things like a folding tonneau cover for keeping items in the back of my truck clean and dry from snow and rain. I will probably be installing an air compressor kit as well due to the hunting and camping trips we do a long ways from any sort of service station. Up here in Alaska when we go on long trips for hunting and camping, we also take 2 spare tires for each trailer and vehicle.

In the end, people are going to modify their truck the way they want it to be.

Quick Reply: Lightbars, Air horns, mega monster lift kits...I guess I am getting old...I don't get it.