Onboard vs Tekonsha Controller

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:25 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
I've told a lot of people that complain that the interrogated controller isn't working because they can't feel the brake light surge to go to a empty parking lot and do a hard or normal stop with the brakes hooked up and then do the same thing with them disconnected, usually ends the complaining.

Denny

Old 10-28-2016, 12:13 PM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Seeing as electric over hydraulic has come up . . .

The early years of integrated controllers have a weakness of not natively handling trailers with electric over hydraulic brakes. Learned this first hand (truck was GM and Fords are noted with the same issue). Effected integrated controllers will do the trailer's lights, but not apply the brakes. Fortunately I was able to 'fool' the integrated controller by installation of a couple brake magnets which then let the truck recognize and controlled the trailer's brakes. Even with fooling the integrated controller into applying the trailer's EoH brakes, braking was good although not 100% in sync on firmer / quicker stops (trailer got more aggressive).

From what I had read, Ford and GM corrected the lack of EoH support around MY14 - 15.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:47 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 359 Likes on 131 Posts
My last 4 trucks were Ford, 79 F350 2 WD crew cab (I really miss that old 460 and C-6 with a US Gear under drive), 07 F350 super cab 4X4, 10 F250 crew cab 4X4, 14 F250 crew cab 4X4. The IBC is a wonderful piece of equipment. It's saved my bacon in the ice on I 80 2 years ago, pulling my 14' tool trailer with 10,000 in it when everyone else was getting squirrelly I was able to brake straighter and stay on the road.

I put around 300,000 miles on those last 3 trucks in 4 years and as long as I can continue to get IBC I will.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:40 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
The integrated units also allow the vehicles stability control system to activate the trailer brakes, something that isn't possible with aftermarket controllers. I don't know the exact set of conditions for that to happen, probably something with the yaw sensor, I'd guess. That's something that's going to make a difference on in extremely rare circumstances, but it could be a BIG difference those times.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:37 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
The more ways that you can integrate the truck and trailer the better, electronics can do I faster than the driver in emergency situation.

Denny

Old 10-30-2016, 10:22 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Back when I had a tekonsha Voyager, I was constantly adjusting it and was never happy with the results. I upgraded to the Tekonsha Prodigy P2, and found that I was usually needed to adjust it when towing a loaded trailer vs an empty one, but I was generally happy with the results.

With the Integrated one on my last F150, I never adjusted it after the first tow, and I was ALWAYS happy with it.

I even owned a 2011 GMC 2500 with a factory TBC, and it was flawless. Have no idea of the diffference between brands, but it worked great.

I would never buy a truck without the factory TBC again. I just don't see the point.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Back when I had a tekonsha Voyager, I was constantly adjusting it and was never happy with the results. I upgraded to the Tekonsha Prodigy P2, and found that I was usually needed to adjust it when towing a loaded trailer vs an empty one, but I was generally happy with the results.

With the Integrated one on my last F150, I never adjusted it after the first tow, and I was ALWAYS happy with it.

I even owned a 2011 GMC 2500 with a factory TBC, and it was flawless. Have no idea of the diffference between brands, but it worked great.

I would never buy a truck without the factory TBC again. I just don't see the point.
I agree with that. The price is so low and I find few trucks come without them now.

Steve

Old 10-30-2016, 12:51 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
my understanding.. with ABS on almost everything.. AND factory trailer brake controller connected to ABS computer

while trailer does NOT have ABS.. the ABS computer will adjust trailer braking along with trailer sway control.. and truck sway and yaw control... Win/Win.

aftermarket can not do same.

I removed my P3 from my Dodge.. last year looking for a larger truck.. but this Ford came with factory controller... less adjustments.. better unit.
so P3 sits in the box with 15 hours of use on it.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:53 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive driven numerous newer fords with the built in controller and towed all sorts of things...i much prefer that to my tekonsha P3 in my truck. I have the boost set on 2 i believe, but even then...the brakes dont really help unless i smash the pedal and make my truck stop quickly. If i am just decending down a hill and using light pressure to maintain my speed, i end up just burning up my truck brakes. Im not sure if theres another setting im missing on the controller? The ford controller just seems to work perfectly

Old 10-30-2016, 03:15 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
You didn't say how much weight you are towing, but the first suggestion would be to bump the boost of to get more initial current to the trailer brakes as your truck is not deaccelerating strongly enough (or at all) on long grades there is very little happening that tells the controller to put more current to the trailer brakes. Remember it activates based on deacceleration, not just having your foot on the brake pedal. Only the boost is effected by foot on the pedal.

How long has it been since the trailer brakes were checked and adjusted? Folks tend not to pay much attention to them, but just like the old automobile brakes before self-adjusters came onto the scene, they wear down our time.

Either one or both of those might be helpful.

Steve

Old 10-30-2016, 07:20 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
You didn't say how much weight you are towing, but the first suggestion would be to bump the boost of to get more initial current to the trailer brakes as your truck is not deaccelerating strongly enough (or at all) on long grades there is very little happening that tells the controller to put more current to the trailer brakes. Remember it activates based on deacceleration, not just having your foot on the brake pedal. Only the boost is effected by foot on the pedal.

How long has it been since the trailer brakes were checked and adjusted? Folks tend not to pay much attention to them, but just like the old automobile brakes before self-adjusters came onto the scene, they wear down our time.

Either one or both of those might be helpful.

Steve
One trailer recently was a 27' deckover that was around 10-11k with all new brakes, and other was a 2 year old 14' dump trailer thats 4500lb empty and had 3 yards of topsoil in it.

If i slam on the brakes, it works great, but like the other day i was going down a steep hill (already with tow haul engaged) and needed to slow down to turn onto another road, and it was only reading 2-3 on the controller...which was not nearly enough to help slow down.

I bought this from a friend who had never used it, but i didnt get a manual with it. I did lookup online it needs to be mounted in a specific way, and i thought i had it right, but if i move the controller up/down it seems to adjust how effective the brakes are

Old 10-30-2016, 07:28 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
On the P3 it is pretty forgiving in terms of level unless it is crazy off. Why don't you simply try adjusting the boost as that activates as soon as you hit the pedal. It is just pushing the boost button. The reading you get is about what I would expect when the controller is only sensing a mild slowing.