6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Glow plug R&R

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 04:09 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Glow plug R&R

Anyone done it? Some posts say the valve covers have to come off, others say no. It looks like the are outside of the vc to me and removing the fender well is the easiest way to access.
Usually I can find lots of vedios of any repair, but can't find anything on 6.7 glow plug change

Old 10-24-2016, 11:44 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 896 Likes on 325 Posts
Bob, I know from your other thread you are contemplating changing out the glowplugs based on that TSB. Please do some googling on that TSB, as I am 90% sure that its the valve that takes the glowplug out. Ford was telling their techs to check the glowplugs for damage caused by the defective exhaust valves in those early 2011's. I could be wrong, but would hate for you to spend $$$$ on new glowplugs unnecessarily.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
GPs are supposed to be changed every 100k miles and a different tech recommended 60k miles on the 2011s...

Old 10-25-2016, 01:13 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by djousma
Bob, I know from your other thread you are contemplating changing out the glowplugs based on that TSB. Please do some googling on that TSB, as I am 90% sure that its the valve that takes the glowplug out. Ford was telling their techs to check the glowplugs for damage caused by the defective exhaust valves in those early 2011's. I could be wrong, but would hate for you to spend $$$$ on new glowplugs unnecessarily.
I have done a lot of research and I am coffident it is the glow plugs are the number one problem. There might be some valve seats that dropped also, but no hard evidence.
There are lots of info on the glow plugs braking off and taking out a valve when it does. I am going to at least look at them, but from what I have seen 100,000 mile replacement is recomended.
I don't buy off that a piece of the valve brakes off without any warning. I can see the stem braking off suddenly, but not a section of the valve head. There would have to be a crack first, and that would cause a hard miss. You would notice something wrong first. There are lost of pics on the intrent showing damage from broken gp. Depending on where it is at TDC it could take out a valve easly.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:23 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
I stoped by my local ford dealer today and got the oases report. I asked about the problems with the 6.7 and either valves or glow plugs. There where aware of the glow plugs braking but the have not seen a problem with the the valves. The service mangers said the have not seen any 6.7 engine falures from either the gp or valves at there shop.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
it is the valves that take out the glow plugs.

2 piece valves.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:35 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
What would cause a glow plug to break and fall into the cylinder ???????

Old 10-25-2016, 05:44 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by senix
it is the valves that take out the glow plugs.

2 piece valves.
Where do you get this info? I have looked all over and the majority show the glow plug being the problem. I have seen nothing that shows the valves are two piece.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:49 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
My understanding it they are ceramic. And some of them where falty and would crack frome use and then brake off. I see no reason NOT to pull the glow plugs out and check them. Like I posted earlier my dealer did acknowledge the glow plug issue, but never heard of a valve issue. I have seen a lot of pics on the internet wit damage from the broken gp and no broken valves.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:17 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
From the 2014 Ford Service DVD

Removal

Remove the LH or RH fender splash shield. For additional information, refer to Section 501-02 .
NOTE: It may be necessary to unthread the engine sound shield retainers from the engine.

Remove the 5 RH or 4 LH engine sound shield retainers and the RH or LH engine sound shield.

Using the tabs on the top of glow plug connector, pull the glow plug connector off the glow plug.

NOTE: The use of an 8mm deep socket with no internal shoulder is necessary for removal and installation of the glow plug.

Remove the glow plug.

Installation

Install the glow plug.
Tighten to 4 Nm (35 lb-in).
Tighten an additional 45° to 55° degrees.

Pull the glow plug electrical connector out of the outer sleeve.

Connect the glow plug electrical connector to the glow plug and push the connector down to lock the connector on the glow plug.

Position the RH or LH engine sound shield and install the 5 RH or 4 LH engine sound shield retainers.

Install the LH or RH fender splash shield. For additional information, refer to Section 501-02 .

Old 10-25-2016, 09:23 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
From the 2014 Ford Service DVD

Removal

Remove the LH or RH fender splash shield. For additional information, refer to Section 501-02 .
NOTE: It may be necessary to unthread the engine sound shield retainers from the engine.

Remove the 5 RH or 4 LH engine sound shield retainers and the RH or LH engine sound shield.

Using the tabs on the top of glow plug connector, pull the glow plug connector off the glow plug.

NOTE: The use of an 8mm deep socket with no internal shoulder is necessary for removal and installation of the glow plug.

Remove the glow plug.

Installation

Install the glow plug.
Tighten to 4 Nm (35 lb-in).
Tighten an additional 45° to 55° degrees.

Pull the glow plug electrical connector out of the outer sleeve.

Connect the glow plug electrical connector to the glow plug and push the connector down to lock the connector on the glow plug.

Position the RH or LH engine sound shield and install the 5 RH or 4 LH engine sound shield retainers.

Install the LH or RH fender splash shield. For additional information, refer to Section 501-02 .
Thank you. That is about what I thought.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:22 PM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
That glow plug tsb that came out was easily misunderstood and not explained fully by Ford. If you do some more research on Ford forums, many senior techs have come out and explained this in detail.

Ford explained latter to their techs that asked, checking the glow plugs condition was the easiest way to let the tech/Ford know what the state of affairs was inside the combustion chamber.

The engines that suffered from valves breaking/dropping on the early build 6.7 2011 was what Ford was looking for with that glow plug check tsb.
Ford did not want to pay Ford dealers for taking off heads to find cylinders destroyed from dropping valves that were a problem in the very early 6.7 builds. So a much easier, cheaper procedure, was check the glow plug. If the glow plug was damaged, it meant the cylinder was toasted from valve debris bouncing around in the combustion chamber.

Take it or leave it, thats the bottom line. Here is a senior Ford tech explaining it...

Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
Sadly, Brian is very mistaken. The early 6.7L engine "problem" was related to the cylinder heads; exhaust valve seats and broken exhaust valves. The bulletin description 6.7L DIESEL - RUNS ROUGH - NO CRANK - GLOW PLUG CIRCUIT DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/29/2011 is misleading. The diagnostics were simple as glow plug damage was deemed sufficient to diagnose and warrant the replacement of the long block assembly. As a matter of fact we were told to not disassemble the engines, just replace. The other point of confusion is that the revised cylinder heads have glow plug bores with a seat that is machined at a different depth than the original cylinder heads. While the new revised glow plugs are the same overall length, they are dimensionally different from the seat to the tip by 4.5mm. Installing the old plugs in a newer cylinder head will cause the pistons to strike the glow plugs and cause internal damage.

I think that about covers it.
People make mistakes and misunderstandings. Unfortunately this misunderstanding goes on till this day, some techs still don't understand, sad. This vid is a great example of this misunderstanding...