6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Let the Battle Begin.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 06:49 PM
Randy Sheats
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let the Battle Begin.

I purchased my 2004 250 6.0L XL 2 years ago and the truck has been great to me, granted I don't haul a lot with it. I just love a diesel. I want to start bulletproofing it myself and I was wondering how much I as one person can do.
I bought a Haynes manual to start reading. But as far as tools and things like that I have no idea what I will need besides the basics. I don't make too much which is why I want to do the maintenance myself, and I never get tired of turning a wrench. I know pulling the cab makes life easy but is it absolutely necessary for doing the work properly? Anyone with tips as where to get quality parts for these engines and trucks would be greatly appreciated. I am eventually looking to have the truck looking like it just rolled out of the factory. I'm in this for the long haul. Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. Also has anyone invested in the Powerstroke Specialties mechanic videos? Worth it?

Old 10-23-2016, 07:25 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
The Haynes manuals suck. They're wrong as often as not, and don't bother to update for things like entirely new front suspensions, they just slap a new year on the cover of the old book and sell it. Garbage. When you're able to (after 10 posts) send me a private message and I'll hook you up with something better.

Tools wise the best first purchase before you tear into the engine is going to be a scanner/gauge tool. If you use an Android-based phone, the Torque Pro app is $5, and you need a bluetooth OBDII plug, something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products.../dp/B005NLQAHS
People who use these can chime in with better specific ones, I have an iPhone so I have to use DashBoss. Pay real close attention to all the diagnostic threads, those are what will save money in the long haul. It's boring crawling around with a multimeter and testing the voltage in nineteen places three times in two days to chase down something, but it's a lot cheaper than throwing very expensive parts at the truck. There are other options like ForScan, but Torque App is the very best first step.

Parts sources, there are many. Vendors from here like Riff Raff Diesel can source Motorcraft parts for less than many dealers. Some dealers with big online presence like AutoNation White Bear Lake are good also, and will almost defintely price about half of what many dealers charge over the counter. There are dozens and dozens of other options, depending on what you need. XDP Diesel tends to be more performance/aftermarket but they offer a discount code to members of boards like this. Advance Auto has a discount code for online purchases that floats around in threads about alternators.

Pulling the cab is NOT necessary, a guy here named Anthony (run6.0run) documented pulling his 6.0 and ZF6 out the front of his truck:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...pics-only.html

The number one thing is learn how to search on FTE. The tech thread at the top of this page documents a ton of great common jobs, and internal search function is alright. I'd prefer to go to Google's search box and type

site:ford-trucks.com 6.0 "alternator replacement"

and it'll search only the 6.0 board for whatever you type in better than the internal search function does. Anything in " " quotes is searched for as a string, other terms are treated singularly.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:35 PM
Randy Sheats
Freshman User
Ok, good to know the Haynes manuals are junk. I've never even heard of those bluetooth OBD readers, do they have as much function as an actual stand alone reader?

Old 10-23-2016, 07:42 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

More functionality than the basic OBDII scanners the parts stores have. Less than shop scanners like a Snap On Solus. WAY less functionality than full blown IDS like the Ford dealers and some shops have. But real IDS is something like $3k to get setup, plus an $800 annual fee. A Solus is $4k.

It's a mix of code scanner and live data reading, and for less than $30 it's the most cost effective tool to own for the 6.0.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Randy Sheats
Freshman User
That sounds like a good middle ground, between an OBD and a shop reader. I remember the first winter I had this truck it threw out a low/no boost code and I had to google it to figure out that is what the code actually means. I swapped the MAP sensor, cleared the code and it was G2G. That's pretty awesome that dude pulled his engine and trans like that. Thanks for the forum tip. I've been looking at XDP and I don't mind paying for quality performance parts, I know somethings you just shouldn't cheap out on. But I plan on keeping the truck running stock power for the near future.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Randy, do you use android or iPhone/iPad?

Old 10-23-2016, 08:30 PM
Randy Sheats
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tideman
Randy, do you use android or iPhone/iPad?
I use Android. Note 2. My Note 7 is my auxiliary block heater for emergencies.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:33 PM
Randy Sheats
Freshman User
I use an Android, Note 2. My note 7 is my emergency block heater.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Use the toque pro that texastech suggested. Go on Amazon or eBay and an obd11 Bluetooth / wireless adapter this is the one I use but there are plenty more. Around $20.00 to $30.00

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2016, 09:00 PM
Randy Sheats
Freshman User
Rodger that. I can't wait to see whats hiding in the numbers. I haven't looked at the tech thread yet but does it have normal operating values(temps, pressures, etc)?

Old 10-23-2016, 09:09 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Remember studying for your S.A.T. Test ;-j well it's not that bad. Yes it will give you gauges and more. I use IPhone/iPad so I use ForScan and DASHBoss but they are a lot alike. It will give pressure/voltage/temps, plus. Everything to to let you see what's going on. Everybody that has vehicle that they care about should monitor it.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:16 PM
Randy Sheats
Freshman User
Never took the SATs! Went from highschool to the AirForce. I was considering a CTS Insight a while back but they're pricey. I like the fact I can put Pyro sensors on. Information is something I can't get enough of but I can't justify dropping 600 on the unit plus the manifolds for the sensors.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:43 PM
Norma stitz
Elder User
I can say that this 160$ android touch panel receiver was a pretty neat addition to the truck because it runs torquePRO like a pro, and does a whole lot more. I'd recommend something like this, although if money is tight you can use your phone instead. There is a lot of info to be gleaned from the app for these trucks I'm amazed. Kinda scary how many sensors are in the thing!

I started with the easy mods like blue spring update and complete engine replacement. Then moved on to harder ones. Pulling the cab wasn't too fun but it wasn't awful. Only took a few hours. I realize that a building that you can do the cab off job in is the issue for most folks. I suppose you could rent a forklift.

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2016, 09:43 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
And thank you for your service!

These guys have you going in the right direction. You can get an inexpensive bluetooth adapter off ebay or amazon: search for an: ELM 327 ODBII adapter (V1.5 but higher is ok, they just are making up that stuff).

ONLY buy from someone selling in the US and with excellent feedback, because while they are all likely made in China, if you want one soon, or if the one you get is bad and need another, the US sellers are much quicker.

DO NOT install anything that comes with the adapter. Download Torque Pro off the Google Play Store and start doing your set-up while waiting for the adapter to come in. Load the pre-defined set of Ford PIDs and create a vehicle profile. Go through the set-up screens and just set things to be in US units. When your adapter comes in you will have to do a Bluetooth pairing with your phone while the adapter is plugged into your truck.

Take a picture of under your hood and post it -- sometimes amazes me what these guys will see in a picture and ask you to check...

Once you start getting data, we can help you with more. But do try and read through the tech section -- it will answer questions you don't even know to ask and maybe raise some you should ask...

Great to have you aboard

Old 10-23-2016, 09:49 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

I did stand-alone EGT and fuel pressure, it was too much to rig it all together into the electronic unit.

Isspro EV2, I went with the non-color coded:
ISSPRO R17022 EV2 Series Pyrometer Gauge at DieselManor
ISSPRO R17021 EV2 Series Pyrometer Gauge at DieselManor

Originally Posted by Randy Sheats
Rodger that. I can't wait to see whats hiding in the numbers. I haven't looked at the tech thread yet but does it have normal operating values(temps, pressures, etc)?
Yes it does:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-pressure.html

Tech Thread link:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ch-folder.html

Quick Reply: Let the Battle Begin.