Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power door locks/CSM/Alarm System Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 04:36 PM
AZ_Mike
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power door locks/CSM/Alarm System Issue...

1992 Ford F350, 4 door w/460.

The truck has power window/door lock switches in the front, roll up windows and no power lock switches in the back. It has a standard key and no keyless entry or FOBs etc. At this point I don't know how it came from the dealership, if I had to guess it is likely a base model truck.

Like any other old truck (or house), previous owners have "modified" it to their liking which has led to electrical issues that I am slowly running down. The alarm system (Viper 600) is essentially useless as it is old and I have no FOBs etc. In addition, it just randomly starts flashing lights and doing other silly stuff, so I decided to remove it. I attached a pic and as you can see there is the alarm box, a couple other circuit boards and a second box, which I assume could be the CSM/VSM, but I am not sure and it has no marking to indicate what it is.

When I got all that spaghetti cleared out from under my dash, I had three issues:

1. The truck would not start.
2. The parking/running lights didn't work.
3. The power door locks didn't work.

I want to point out that I marked all the wires, so if I had to, I could put this stuff right back where it was.

Problem 1 was easy to solve. Problem 2, which I initially thought was related to the alarm/CSM removal, was just some other coincidental electrical short, which is now fixed. Problem 3, because there are many configurations, is the one that has me stumped.

From browsing the internet I understand that power door locks can have relays, not have relays, be run by a CSM, don't necessarily have to run by a CSM etc. I know that the locks worked prior to removing the alarm, because they constantly activated. I tried wiring the second (non marked box) back up, but that didn't work and I am not really interested in rewiring the entire old, malfunctioning alarm back up just so I can have power locks. So...no power locks.

Here are my questions:

1. Can any of you tell if that second box is a CSM/VSM or is it just another part of that old alarm system?

2. If I want to run just power door locks, without FOBs or remotes, is there a way I can jump those switches to get that done?

3. If I decide that I can't live without power door locks, do you think a car alarm company would be able to sort this out when they install a new alarm?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Attached Images