2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

After Market Tire and Rim Selection Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Luckyc1423
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After Market Tire and Rim Selection Help

Purchasing ruby red platinum crew. short bed diesel

I will be towing a 16k fifth wheel.

I want to go to a more "off-road" look, however I will never be offroading so it needs to ride smooth as its my daily driver.

I would love to go to a 22" rim, but a buddy of mine told me he would be concerned about the weight of the fifth wheel being to much for 22" rims.

Thoughts?

A member just posted this pic in another thread and I really love how his 22's look. I would chose different rims, but I don't think the 22's look overbearing at all which I do not want.

what tire dimensions should I go with? (I am going with 35's but should I do 11.5 or 12.5?
What brand tire and rim do you recommend?

I want a mainly black rim with some chrome accents.

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Rasty1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lots of rims to choose from and only recommendation is keep the rim width within two inches of the tire width.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:37 PM
Luckyc1423
Junior User
so you wouldn't be concerned with towing a heavy 5th wheel with a 22" rim? Or should I stay with 20"

What is the best recommended tire dimensions/specs without being wider than the fenders and spreading mud everywhere.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:02 PM
Blk04Snake
Senior User
Look at the weight specs for the rim and tire. You're going to find they fluctuate hugely. The $$$ forged rims will more likely hold more weight than cast.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:02 PM
Canwan
Junior User
Just make sure the weight rating of the rim is heavy enough. I would also try to stick with a reputable rim manufacturer. USA made even better. I have seen aftermarket rim failures on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks but usually they were 'cheaper' rims.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:22 PM
Skipdaddie
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There haven't been many trucks with aftermarket wheels installed so we do not know exactly what the limit on offset is without rubbing. The 9" rim and 11.5" tire should not be a problem with a 0 offset.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:27 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Personally a HUGE fan of stock 20s on 35" MTs. BUT, in my opinion, this is the best looking 2017 on the Internet at the moment. 35" MTs on 22" BMFs. It is Ben's from Ben's Diesel Performance.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Mikein541
New User
Perhaps you have more money than sense

Originally Posted by Luckyc1423
Purchasing ruby red platinum crew. short bed diesel

I will be towing a 16k fifth wheel.

I want to go to a more "off-road" look, however I will never be offroading so it needs to ride smooth as its my daily driver.

I would love to go to a 22" rim, but a buddy of mine told me he would be concerned about the weight of the fifth wheel being to much for 22" rims.

Thoughts?

A member just posted this pic in another thread and I really love how his 22's look. I would chose different rims, but I don't think the 22's look overbearing at all which I do not want.

what tire dimensions should I go with? (I am going with 35's but should I do 11.5 or 12.5?
What brand tire and rim do you recommend?

I want a mainly black rim with some chrome accents.
You have a HEAVY DUTY truck, designed to tow and haul, not some gussied up street runner that wouldn't pull a drunk off a barstool. Stick with the stock tires and rims, save your money, and BE HAPPY! Do you have any idea how much money your proposed tires and rims are going to cost? Do you know that nobody is going to care about your fancy and expensive new tires and rims? Do you realize that spending money in this fashion is not going to get you laid any more frequently? Don't be stupid.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:48 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikein541
You have a HEAVY DUTY truck, designed to tow and haul, not some gussied up street runner that wouldn't pull a drunk off a barstool. Stick with the stock tires and rims, save your money, and BE HAPPY! Do you have any idea how much money your proposed tires and rims are going to cost? Do you know that nobody is going to care about your fancy and expensive new tires and rims? Do you realize that spending money in this fashion is not going to get you laid any more frequently? Don't be stupid.
So you saying that any modification to the stock truck is stupid. Nice first post. This site is called Ford Truck Enthusiasts for a reason. People are enthusiastic about trucks and the ability to modify, change and gut to their satisfaction. We don't criticize others for wanting to make their trucks their own. If you want to keep your truck totally stock that's your prerogative but what other people do to their trucks with their own money is their business.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:06 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I stayed with 18s with 35s. Wanted to keep a better a ride. So far, I love it, turned out exactly how I liked it.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:00 AM
Blk04Snake
Senior User

Sounds like someone is jealous of his buddy's new brodozer.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:41 AM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, you are going to make a lot of friends on this site with that post. I am going with the same rims as Pwerstroke99 has on his truck, but with the new Ridge Grapplers by Nitto. (sorry pwerstroke99, didn’t mean to copy but I had those picked out as well). There is no way that I am keeping the Contritrac junk that Ford put on from the factory, these things have no off road traction what-so-ever, I have been stuck in my own backyard. Mikein541 – this is my first new truck in the 40 years that I have been driving, I think I owe it to myself to make it look the way I want, after all this is a free country. I’m fairly confident that you are in a small minority with this opinion based on the trucks in my area that are running aftermarket tires and wheels. I would guess that a majority of trucks where I live (Socal) have gone away from stock.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:00 AM
dadz34
Senior User
Billet forged wheels are more expensive but they are much stronger. Personally, I wouldn't enjoy the trip if I was worrying if the next mile might cause a failure on the side of the road.

Can you run cast wheels without a problem? Many people do. But it's not worth the risk in my opinion when you have your family on board. Tires are no different, so make sure they are designed for your intentions.

There are some affordable wheels out there, you just have to research the weight ratings...and if it sounds too good to be true, it's most likely an import wheel.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Blk04Snake
Senior User
Originally Posted by dadz34
...and if it sounds too good to be true, it's most likely an import wheel.

Guess what, the OEM FORD wheels that come on the truck are most likely made in CHINA.

The OEM 20" on my 2010 F350 were. Stamped right on them on the back side.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:10 AM
dadz34
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blk04Snake
Guess what, the OEM FORD wheels that come on the truck are most likely made in CHINA.

The OEM 20" on my 2010 F350 were. Stamped right on them on the back side.

I dont doubt that at all. They are cast also. Another reason I don't run stock wheels.

Quick Reply: After Market Tire and Rim Selection Help