2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Stickergate / Actual GVWR/ Actual GVW

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 09:28 AM
dlauffenburger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stickergate / Actual GVWR/ Actual GVW

After reading the Stickergate posts and several otherposts I am thoroughly confused, there doesn’t seem to any consistency on GVW orGVWR’s across the platforms.

My understandings:
The Ford Tow capacity numbers listed on the chart are for a base model configured truck. Defending on which tires and wheels you have and after you add options, hitches, etc your actual tow capacity will significantly decrease.

Here is what I am trying to do:
I plan on purchasinga new F250 to use to tow a 14,000lb Gooseneck horse trailer, based on the 15% King Pin guidance I will need to be able to support 2100lbs of King Pin Weight in the bed. In addition to that I need to be account for approx. 600lbs of personnel in the cab and another 300 lbs of equipment. Logically I would start with the above mumbers and work backward to build a truck to support the intended purpose.

I know that I want a F250 CCSB 6.2L 4x4 with 4.30 rear end, which gives me a 15,000 LBS tow capacity according to Ford’s tow chart. What I can’t seem to be able to find is how different options ie: Gooseneck Prep,King Ranch Ultimate, rims, tires, etc will effect GVW and ultimately GVWR which has a impact on my actual Trailer Tow Capcity.

Is there a chart or Build program that allows me to enter the truck, rims, tires, and options and then provides and estimated GVW and GVWR?

If not is there something that tells me which tires, rims, axles provide the highest tow GVWR, which ultimately determines my actual tow capacity?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 10-23-2016, 09:55 AM
99SuperDuty2017
Senior User
Originally Posted by dlauffenburger
After reading the Stickergate posts and several otherposts I am thoroughly confused, there doesn’t seem to any consistency on GVW orGVWR’s across the platforms.

My understandings:
The Ford Tow capacity numbers listed on the chart are for a base model configured truck. Defending on which tires and wheels you have and after you add options, hitches, etc your actual tow capacity will significantly decrease.

Here is what I am trying to do:
I plan on purchasinga new F250 to use to tow a 14,000lb Gooseneck horse trailer, based on the 15% King Pin guidance I will need to be able to support 2100lbs of King Pin Weight in the bed. In addition to that I need to be account for approx. 600lbs of personnel in the cab and another 300 lbs of equipment. Logically I would start with the above mumbers and work backward to build a truck to support the intended purpose.

I know that I want a F250 CCSB 6.2L 4x4 with 4.30 rear end, which gives me a 15,000 LBS tow capacity according to Ford’s tow chart. What I can’t seem to be able to find is how different options ie: Gooseneck Prep,King Ranch Ultimate, rims, tires, etc will effect GVW and ultimately GVWR which has a impact on my actual Trailer Tow Capcity.

Is there a chart or Build program that allows me to enter the truck, rims, tires, and options and then provides and estimated GVW and GVWR?

If not is there something that tells me which tires, rims, axles provide the highest tow GVWR, which ultimately determines my actual tow capacity?

Thanks,
Dave
Question? Why are you not looking at the F350? Ride between f250 and f350 are the same, so if its not the ride comfort what is it? Thanks

Old 10-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Arctic_Wolf
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree with 99SuperDuty2017 on this, start with the F350 instead.

You might need to contact a commercial truck dealer rather than a typical consumer Ford store to get the exact data you're looking for, because the commercial dealers have to be able to predict weight numbers on fleet customers orders to keep them happy and legal. If you still have comfortable 'wiggle room' on capacity, then you can see what numbers you get if you choose the 10,000 GVWR option.

Another thing, the 2017 F250 gasser has the 'Torqshift-G' (basically an upgraded F150 transmission for slightly better unladen fuel economy due to less rotating mass and a shorter 1st gear for quicker acceleration from a stop) while the 2017 F350 gasser still shares the more heavy-duty Torqshift as the diesel. With the 4.30 diff the Torqshift will still take off well in 1st gear. Since you're looking to max tow with it, I'd definitely go for the latter.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:32 AM
dlauffenburger
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99SuperDuty2017
Question? Why are you not looking at the F350? Ride between f250 and f350 are the same, so if its not the ride comfort what is it? Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Your comment on the ride being the same is interesting, I have read posts that the F350 is has a stiffer ride than the F250. I have not personally test drove them yet so that is something that I will have to do.

The other reason is due to the registration costs, the F350 is $100 more per year in registration fees.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:49 AM
dlauffenburger
Senior User
Originally Posted by Arctic_Wolf
Agree with 99SuperDuty2017 on this, start with the F350 instead.

You might need to contact a commercial truck dealer rather than a typical consumer Ford store to get the exact data you're looking for, because the commercial dealers have to be able to predict weight numbers on fleet customers orders to keep them happy and legal. If you still have comfortable 'wiggle room' on capacity, then you can see what numbers you get if you choose the 10,000 GVWR option.

Another thing, the 2017 F250 gasser has the 'Torqshift-G' (basically an upgraded F150 transmission for slightly better unladen fuel economy due to less rotating mass and a shorter 1st gear for quicker acceleration from a stop) while the 2017 F350 gasser still shares the more heavy-duty Torqshift as the diesel. With the 4.30 diff the Torqshift will still take off well in 1st gear. Since you're looking to max tow with it, I'd definitely go for the latter.

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't thought about a commercial dealer, I did contact the local Ford dealer and they didn't even realize that you don't get 15,000 tow capacity with 3.73 rear end so I don't have a lot of faith in their guidance on anything GVW related. To be fair to the dealership I was talking to one of he sales guys on the floor so I will try to ask for someone more knowledgeable on trucks. There isn't a commercial dealer locally, so I will try to find one that will discuss options via phone or email if the local shop can't provide someone more knowledgeable.
If I spec a F350 with 10000 GVW wouldn't I end up with lower GVWR than a F250 due to the increased weight of the F350 transmission and suspension?
Your comments on the "G" transmission are interesting, I thought the "G" was a new transmission that was specifically designed for the 6.2L engine. I do have some concerns on the "G" and have been waiting to see reviews from users but haven't seen much data yet, I haven't seen any failure reports for it yet but they are still new and probably haven't generated the miles needed to fail.

Thanks again for your reply and insight.

Dave

Old 10-24-2016, 06:24 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
May states allow you to register anything that makes sense (as in anything between curb weight plus you and fuel up to full GVWR. So even if you had a 14k truck you could choose to register it for 10k, but you would be giving up the payload. Additionally you could get an F350 with the 10k downgrade package. This exist because federal guidelines go off the manufacturers GVWR and anything over 10k that does interstate travel is a commercial vehicle with enhanced DOT requirements.