Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ford 7.3 injector harness issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 05:57 AM
Sondre Næss
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford 7.3 injector harness issue?

So after hitting a pothole, it would seem like half the engine lost power, after some searching around, i found that i would most likely be the harness inside the valve cover that has lost connection.

Its the right side, so i would need to take of the turbo pipe, and probably something else to get to it.

Since i'm doing this job, is there something else you guys can recommend to check out along the way? I want my 7.3 to be as reliable as possible.

I will probably ask some questions along the way, it can be a challenge sometimes to own a car that not many mechanics are familiar with, but as i have read online, this should be a very straight forward fix.

Can the harness be upgraded so it doesnt happen again? Its an 02

Old 10-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Gene Horr
Senior User
If possible test the injectors first. Since you will have the cover off this would be a good time to replace any that are marginal. If the boots on the turbo air ducts have never been replaced I would go ahead and replace them now. Rubber degrades with age.

There is no better model of harness that I know of. But the original is very good. It lasted 1.5 decades after all in high heat high vibration conditions.

I would replace both harnesses. It is time.

Inspect all of the turbo ducting. If you got a leak from that bump it will feel like your engine lost half its power. But even if you find this is the cause I would still consider replacing the harnesses though you may wish to wait until you need to replace an injector.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:38 AM
Sondre Næss
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Gene Horr
If possible test the injectors first. Since you will have the cover off this would be a good time to replace any that are marginal. If the boots on the turbo air ducts have never been replaced I would go ahead and replace them now. Rubber degrades with age.

There is no better model of harness that I know of. But the original is very good. It lasted 1.5 decades after all in high heat high vibration conditions.

I would replace both harnesses. It is time.

Inspect all of the turbo ducting. If you got a leak from that bump it will feel like your engine lost half its power. But even if you find this is the cause I would still consider replacing the harnesses though you may wish to wait until you need to replace an injector.
Hey, thanks for the good reply
I too think its time to change out some components due to age and wear,
i'm basically just sitting waiting for the transmission to fail, not because i suspect anything, but because i expect it at this mileage, 220.000km.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:43 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are in there already change out the glow plugs, unless you recently did them.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:08 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Torque the plates back down too, they tend to work a little loose over time and it really quiets things down.

I just super-glued the damn connectors inside, had them work apart a few times too many and the quarter mod actually wore through one of the arms. Not risking a quarter bouncing around my valve train.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Moved to the 7.3L PSD forum.

Stewart

Old 10-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sondre Næss
So after hitting a pothole, it would seem like half the engine lost power, after some searching around, i found that i would most likely be the harness inside the valve cover that has lost connection.

Its the right side, so i would need to take of the turbo pipe, and probably something else to get to it.

Since i'm doing this job, is there something else you guys can recommend to check out along the way? I want my 7.3 to be as reliable as possible.

I will probably ask some questions along the way, it can be a challenge sometimes to own a car that not many mechanics are familiar with, but as i have read online, this should be a very straight forward fix.

Can the harness be upgraded so it doesnt happen again? Its an 02
An upgraded replacement valve cover gasket is available. It has a better method for retaining the injector harness plug. Gaskets are available from Riff Raff Diesel
Valve Cover Gasket for Ford 7.3L Powerstroke (99-03)

I am still using my original CAC boots. They will probably outlast the truck so unless yours is torn there is no reason to replace them.

Good idea to change the glow plugs since you are in there. I always use Motorcraft glow plugs. The aftermarket glow plugs have been known to cause problems from time to time. Riff Raff has the glow plugs also....

Might as well check the injector clamp bolts....they can work loose. Make sure they are snug. Careful not to overtighten those things....they can break....(then you'll have another unwanted problem...).

If your truck is 4x4....you can reach the lower bolts on the right side valve cover through the wheel well. If 2x4 then you might have to take the wheel off to get in there. (not sure about that....all my trucks are 4x4...)

Tip for removing and replacing glow plugs...
Loosen glow plugs with 10mm deep well socket and then use a 10cm length of vacuum line to press onto the end of the plug and unscrew. Reverse procedure to reinstall. Make sure the vacuum line fits snug on the end of the glow plug. This will help ensure you don't accidentally drop the plug into the engine valley.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:53 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
And whatever you do, DO NOT replace only a few injectors. That's pretty bad advice. Injectors need to be replaced all at once with the exception of some sort of premature failure or other oddity.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
There is a UVCH link in my signature, it's worth a click to make sure you've isolated the problem and confirm the fix. While I wouldn't subscribe to throwing an injector in there without the urgent need for it - it's certainly worth looking into replacing injector O-rings. We are learning that we are crossing a threshold of time, and failed injector O-rings is growing more common. I'm not saying to take this task on no matter what, I'm saying I'd do a little homework on it and mull over it.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Sondre Næss
Freshman User
I'm still waiting for parts, but i bought new valve cover gaskets, glow plugs, and wiring harness, hope the parts get here by next week. I will check that everything is tight when i'm at it.

Injectors will be replaced sooner or later, the truck will be stripped to the frame and restored, the winter is norway can be harsh, especially for american steel 2015 facelift, lift, some stuff from iceland, and MUCH more, hoping to get around 500hp out of it, with reliability. starting this coming winter Wont be done my though, a proffesional shop abroad will handle all of that

Old 10-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Beware of the HP chase - it can be misleading. Torque is the number you're looking for - it's a diesel... that doesn't go over 3200 RPM. 400 HP is reasonable, but 500 HP ups the ante by at least another $10,000 (US).

Old 10-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Sondre Næss
Freshman User
I don't plan to do any big modifications on the engine, so i will see how far i can get
Planing on.

Intake
Exhaust
Chip
Better turbo pipes, remove as many stock restrictions.
Banks turbo upgrade kit
Regulated Fuel Return
Injectors
Studs

Don't know what this will give me, but i don't plan to do any major work on the engine. I'm already sitting waiting for the transmission to fail so i can rebuild it with more durable parts, and a new converter.
I guess its not possible to fit a 5 speed to engine?

Old 10-29-2016, 12:19 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
A 5 speed manual? Yes, you can switch it over. But I'd go with the 6 speed if I were going to do it.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Sondre Næss
Freshman User
No the automatic from the next gen powerstroke

Old 10-29-2016, 05:18 PM
ARW
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I realize most here despise this guy... but that aside, before you go through replacing injectors and such, take a quick look at this to see if this could be what you're experiencing.

or

Quick Reply: Ford 7.3 injector harness issue?