Sponsored by: Moser

Possible 76' F250 Highboy Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:25 AM
GhostDog85
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible 76' F250 Highboy Restoration

Hey everyone, I'm new here, but I've lurked around looking at some restorations and builds on here. That being said, I'm thinking about trading an old boat to a 76 F250 Highboy 4x4 with bulldog. I've looked at it and the frame is solid, decent interior, decent body, 4x4 in good order, and a little bit of rust. It has a 306 in it currently, which I would want to swap eventually, but it is running and driving. Anyway, I just wanted some opinions on it as this would be my first restoration and I want to do it on the cheaper end, while still making it look good. Thinking around a 2-3k budget.

Figured I'd break it down, POR-15 the frame and some other components, put on a new suspension, new (maybe new to me) wheels and tires, new bumpers/tailgate, I figure I can weld up the rust spots with some sheet metal, have the seat reupholstered and give the interior some love, and slap on some new paint.

Anyway, I wanted to get your guys expert opinions and see what y'all thought.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:26 AM
GhostDog85
New User
These are the two pictures he sent me, when I went to look at it I forgot my phone, so these are the only ones I have available.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:30 PM
good to doo
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How much is the old boat worth$

Old 10-22-2016, 01:32 PM
GhostDog85
New User
Originally Posted by good to doo
How much is the old boat worth$
Probably worth around 1k

Old 10-22-2016, 02:29 PM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say for a full blown restoration expect to spend more than $2-3k. I like the idea though

Old 10-22-2016, 02:48 PM
GhostDog85
New User
Originally Posted by pgg00
I'd say for a full blown restoration expect to spend more than $2-3k. I like the idea though
I misused the word restoration. I would love to do a full blown resto job, but I don't want to sink a ton into it right now. This is mainly a cosmetic and safety resto. Get it looking good and replace anything that needs to be replaced while learning as much as possible (like I said, this will be my first build). I'm from Eastern Kentucky so if need be, I'm sure I can find an old ford for a parts vehicle pretty much anywhere LOL!

Old 10-22-2016, 04:26 PM
good to doo
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would start by going through the brakes first, that means pulling all the wheels. The back will be harder because of the old truck style rear end. Then make sure the steering is tight. Then paint it one color, then drive it. Look for body parts along the way.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:38 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Brakes, tires, steering first. Much nicer than what I started with. Every problem mine had was because stuff was either gone completely or hidden very well. Doing all the work yourself, you could get that truck built well for 2k.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:21 PM
GhostDog85
New User
Thanks for all the replies, guys. It seems to be in pretty good shape, all things considered. I'm really hoping I can get it done for 2-3k tops. I'm sure it will take a while, I'm working full-time, full-time student, and I have a one year old, but if I end up doing the trade I'll start a thread on here and try to keep everyone in the loop. Also, anymore opinions or tips are always welcome!

Old 10-22-2016, 09:48 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
How's the truck's electrical system? That can be a big safety thing. PO hackjobs with shorts and no fuses can be fire hazards. Lights and flashers are important too. Make sure the heater box is clean and clear of leaves. Great way to start a fire, there.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:56 PM
GhostDog85
New User
Originally Posted by mountain dewd
How's the truck's electrical system? That can be a big safety thing. PO hackjobs with shorts and no fuses can be fire hazards. Lights and flashers are important too. Make sure the heater box is clean and clear of leaves. Great way to start a fire, there.
Everything seemed good with the electrical system from what I could tell, of course there could always be something hidden somewhere. As far as checking the heater box, it never even crossed my mind, I'll definitely do that! Thanks for the tips!

Old 10-22-2016, 10:01 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GhostDog85
Everything seemed good with the electrical system from what I could tell, of course there could always be something hidden somewhere. As far as checking the heater box, it never even crossed my mind, I'll definitely do that! Thanks for the tips!
You bet and good luck!

Old 10-23-2016, 12:35 AM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Damn good looking truck!

Name:  F150_zpszuxbkqqr.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  57.8 KB

I'm in the middle of the "getting everything working on the vehicle I just bought" part, right now.
I've found somewhat often that a part isn't working on an old car, because some other fool had it off and then didn't hook it all the way back up when they put it back together...

Old 10-23-2016, 01:25 AM
GhostDog85
New User
Originally Posted by meangreen92
Damn good looking truck!

I'm in the middle of the "getting everything working on the vehicle I just bought" part, right now.
I've found somewhat often that a part isn't working on an old car, because some other fool had it off and then didn't hook it all the way back up when they put it back together...
Man, that's beautiful, I'm digging the bed rails. I've heard that before, my dad has a, now, mint parts matching 69' Chevelle and he encountered the same thing. A lot of half a$$ jobs on old vehicles.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:52 AM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Ah, I guess yours is a shade lighter. I was thinking it was the same color. Mine is code "S," Midnight Blue Metallic

Thanks, but no bed rails. They are display racks for clothing, discarded by TJ Maxx or whoever, and I want to try to use them to help me hang drywall on one of my ceilings...

Mine might be a good parts truck for yours, but I'm keeping it on the road.

My floors are really crunchy, and There are holes above my windshield, with the inner panel being nearly gone.
Really solid frame and inner fenders and stuff though.

Quick Reply: Possible 76' F250 Highboy Restoration