E4OD...Manual valve control?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 07:27 AM
Michael J Kitko
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD...Manual valve control?

I have searched high and low and only found one thread where 1 guy tried to make one manual, but not like I am asking. So my question is, why can't you take a 12V wire and power the shift position sensor on the driver side, then use those outputs like the computer to control relays that manually open and shut the solenoids through the control input on the passenger side? I do realize it has a variable pressure line that the computer controls and I have not figured that out yet, but a straight engine rpm sensor might be able to make that work.

Please call me crazy if you want, I am quite curious about this and it would probably sway me in my swap I am doing.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:10 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,574 Likes on 1,052 Posts
I actually made a controller like this one time. It was for a race series that did not allow any computers on the race car, and we wanted to run an E4OD.

There is no relationship between engine speed and required pressure. RPM won't do it for you. You need the pressure to be relative to engine output torque. I had no way to make that work, either. Since this race car made around 700 HP, I just left the EPC (Electronic Pressure Control) solenoid unplugged. This defaults to maximum pressure.

It worked well for a short time. Then the forward clutch drum blew apart. Turns out that's a known weakness of the E4OD/4R100, the forward clutch drum can't hold max pressure when the shift handle is in the 1 position. We had access to aftermarket drums that were much stronger, but still came apart.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Michael J Kitko
New User
Thank you sir, I did see you replied to the thread I was referring to. So, it will work like that, with the exception of the weak point that you stated. I don't have the experience you do, but I did stare at a schematic and said, why can't I do it that way.

Is there a way to control the pressure other than a computer and pardon this question, but I do not have a manual in front of me, what is the 1 position?

Old 10-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Michael J Kitko
New User
I should probably say why I am asking this stuff, I am doing an engine/tranny swap and want manual control of the tranny, but I want it to be an auto. My choices are C6 w/GV, E4OD (If I can get it to work like I am asking.), 47RH/47RE (That came behind the engine originally, but they are impossible to find for under $1200 in 2wd and the valve body is roughly $600 alone.)

Old 10-22-2016, 12:03 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Michael J Kitko
Is there a way to control the pressure other than a computer and pardon this question, but I do not have a manual in front of me, what is the 1 position?
I'm sure there is some way. I didn't get that far, the project was abandoned.

The 1 position is when you move the shift handle from D, down to 2, then down to 1.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:44 PM
Michael J Kitko
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The 1 position is when you move the shift handle from D, down to 2, then down to 1.
That is what I thought. Thank you.

Do you mind me asking you, what is your personal thoughts on either doing this, if it is possible, or going for a C6 manual valve body with gear vendors od?

Old 10-22-2016, 01:19 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
why can't you take a 12V wire and power the shift position sensor on the driver side, then use those outputs like the computer to control relays that manually open and shut the solenoids through the control input on the passenger side?

Please call me crazy if you want.
I want manual control of the tranny
Mike,it's not that your crazy,it's just that your a crazy control freak!

you can already control the trans manually.shift manually into 1,2,3 or 4.
to get 3 only,just hit the od cancel switch.when you want 4th,hit the switch again.
if you want to control lockup of the converter,you can add in a switch to turn that off too if desired.

as for controlling pressure,install a transgo shift kit.when going easy,it will shift easier.push it and she'll shift firmer.

your making things far too difficult on yourself.even if you could do everything manually,it would grow old fast or you would break something because you forgot to turn a dial/hit a switch.
the trans works very well as designed (with a shift kit)

if the truck is just a toy,why not just go with a c6 if you like things basic or drop in a manual trans if you want full control?

Old 10-22-2016, 04:21 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Do you mind me asking you, what is your personal thoughts on either doing this, if it is possible, or going for a C6 manual valve body with gear vendors od?
My thoughts are this is really simple to get it to shift to each gear. The problem is when, not if, the forward clutch drum blows apart. There has to be a way to lower pressure when in 1. But the pressure then has to be relative to torque. If you lower it to much the clutch will slip and get destroyed. If you don't lower it enough the drum blows apart. And don't forget torque is constantly changing depending on how far down you're pressing the go pedal. That's why there is a computer controlling pressure. That's really what it takes to get the pressure right.

A C6 would be much easier to do.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I though about the exact thing here on the E4OD. I was going to use a manual H pattern shifter(home made) with the switches controlling the solenoids in the E4OD.

I did not have enough information on how the EPC works when I was in the planning stages(many years ago) so it was abandoned. Now reading this thread, got me thinking again!

By the way, I have done this with a Chrysler A604 tranny(no EPC to mess with). Only issue with that A604 was no neutral unless you shifted the manual control to neutral. But that did verify it was not a mechanical issue with the transmission!

Not sure of the E4OD does neutral with solenoids.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The E4OD does neutral with the manual valve, not the solenoids.