68 F250- pedal down and in gear, car starts rolling

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 03:18 PM
jddv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
68 F250- pedal down and in gear, car starts rolling

Hello,

I am from the europe and recently imported my dream truck from the usa.
Its a 68 F250 with a 360 v8, automatic
Beautiful truck with a nice patina. Like it a lot

THe engine runs perfectly but now it has got a strange problem;
When the engine is hot and i have the gearbox in D and the pedal down, the car start to roll/take off. It's really scary cause when it happen i am out of control. I have to use the park brake to stop the car or have to turn off the igintion switch.

Can somebody help me here. I asked several garages here but everybody says that they dont know cause its an old usa car and thatś not very common over here.

Please let me know if you have any advice. thanks a lot

Old 10-21-2016, 03:29 PM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I am assuming you mean the brake pedal. What you are describing could be due to any number of brake problems.

Is this a sudden development? Does the pedal slowly sink to the floor? Is there any resistance at all ? Describe the problem in as much detail as you can.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:35 PM
jddv
New User
Originally Posted by Coastal68
I am assuming you mean the brake pedal. What you are describing could be due to any number of brake problems.

Is this a sudden development? Describe the problem in as much detail as you can.

thanks for your quick reply.
I havent driven it a lot cause i got to make it ready for the local dmv over here.
So it isnt liscenced yet

During some test drives i experienced that with a cold engine there is no problem, but after some driving and shifting the problem occurs. Sometimes it happens that pressing the brake pedal wont keep the car in position and the car will start to take of. All this with the brake pedal pushed and the gear lever in D.

thanks again

Old 10-21-2016, 03:58 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by jddv
I havent driven it a lot cause i got to make it ready for the local dmv over here.
So it isnt liscenced yet

During some test drives i experienced that with a cold engine there is no problem, but after some driving and shifting the problem occurs. Sometimes it happens that pressing the brake pedal wont keep the car in position and the car will start to take of. All this with the brake pedal pushed and the gear lever in D.

thanks again
I'm not catching if there is a fast idle problem or a brake problem. Is the engine idling too fast? Does the brake pedal feel normal or does it sink to the floor as Coastal asked?

Old 10-21-2016, 04:12 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jddv
So it isnt liscenced yet

thanks again
When all is working correctly and the gear selector is at D (drive) this is for all forward driving. If the truck wants to move, try moving the lever to N or P just to see what happens. It should not want to move when on level ground.

When the brake pedal is applied the vehicle should not move regardless of where the gear selector is.

John

Old 10-21-2016, 04:16 PM
jddv
New User
Originally Posted by jowilker
When all is working correctly and the gear selector is at D (drive) this is for all forward driving. If the truck wants to move, try moving the lever to N or P just to see what happens. It should not want to move when on level ground.

When the brake pedal is applied the vehicle should not move regardless of where the gear selector is.

John
thanks

so you say if the car moves in D, with the brake pedal pushed, it can only be a brake problem (the car idles normallly)?
Then i know where to start.

PLease understand that there are no gargages here that are used to classic usa cars.

thanks

Old 10-21-2016, 04:28 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
When working properly, you can start the engine with the transmission selector in P it should stay put, regardless of how fast the engine is turning. Pressing the brake pedal you should be able to move the selector to any position and the vehicle not move. Only after pressing the gas pedal and releasing the brake pedal should the truck move at all when in R, D, or L.

John

Old 10-21-2016, 04:58 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
With an automatic transmission, the only two gear selections on the column gear selector dial that the truck should be decoupled from movement is when the gear selector is in "P" (park) or "N" (neutral).

If the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) on the top of the steering column tube (inside the cab, near the firewall) is hooked up and working properly, these are the only two settings ("P" & "N") that the engine should be able to crank and run in.

With a properly functioning NSS, the engine should not crank if the gear selector is in "D" (drive), "R" (reverse), "2" (2nd gear) or "1" (1st gear).

If the truck starts in anything other than P or N, the NSS or gear selector rod is either out of adjustment or, the NSS is disabled/bypassed. If the NSS is bypassed, this means the truck can start in ANY gear and can take off on its own.

Whether the engine is running or not, in gear or not, it should not move forward or backward as long as the brakes are being applied.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:46 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
The functions of any automobile are the same... the brakes stop it, the skinny pedal makes it go faster, and the transmission makes it move.

I'm not tracking on your train of thought?

Do the brakes work? Does it drive in gear? Then what's the problem?

Old 10-22-2016, 07:07 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The brake pedal should not go down any more then about 1/3 of the way with manual or power brakes is about average for most trucks with ok brakes.

I'd bet you have a leaking MC or wheel cylinder and has not brake fluid in the Master Cylinder.
Check MC fill with if needed. Look for fluid on wheels or back of MC if manual brake.

Ps someone giving you the run around, classic or not they all have hydraulic brakes system. Right.
Orich