2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

LED headlights on XLT trucks?

Old 10-25-2016, 12:31 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck
I want good old round sealed beams, no halogen, no xenon, no LED, just plain dim and yellow sealed beams!

..."LEDs are a SCAM!!!! Some of the claimed benefits of brighter headlights are outright false. Other properties are of some benefit in specialized applications (e.g., aviation), but in our trucks/cars the benefits are so minuscule that they aren't worth the initial/ongoing cost or hassle. It's a benefit that isn't worth the charge. Some folks don't mine spending too much to have the best of something, but you will never receive a gain to compensate the monetary loss."

Source:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16664745

ROFLMAO

Actually I have been very happy with the halogens but I really like the looks of the LEDs from the outside. You are 100% correct that the gain is not worth the thousands of dollars it take to equip a vehicle with these lamps. And as for the power consumption until we have solar panels for main propulsion the difference in 10 amps or 50 amps is nothing when considering the horsepower available.

Well said and a great comparison. Even if I don't run out and replace with tungsten sealed beams.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:27 PM
tuclai
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Anzo can just do a design like this for the 2017 Super Duty I would jump on it. Black housing, no shiny LED crystals bling, and chrome bling, just how a sporty looking truck's headlight should look. If they just did that with the LED surround for DRL it would look very OEM like.

https://www.realtruck.com/anzo-headl...urEaAqA38P8HAQ

Old 10-26-2016, 03:32 PM
BFC Headlights
Former Vendor
The factory LED's do look nice - but in our experience they often seem less thrilling than the pricing (as an option or added on later) and still don't perform as well as they should.

For reference a genuine projector retrofit (utilizing proper HID bulbs) can be ideal - especially into the factory housings. Crisp output & clean lines.

If anyone is big into DIY it can always be done on your own as well. Patience and basic tools

Old 10-26-2016, 05:17 PM
dh1200
Senior User
its probably true that their isnt a big difference between the leds and the regular lights as far as actually seeing at night, but i mainly want them for the looks. Those running lights just set the truck off to me. I would be happy if they just made a oem look alike with the led c running lights, ( like gm has standard on all theur trucks) )and used regular lights for the main beams. would be a lot cheaper that way and it would still have the good look.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:23 PM
tuclai
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by dh1200
its probably true that their isnt a big difference between the leds and the regular lights as far as actually seeing at night, but i mainly want them for the looks. Those running lights just set the truck off to me. I would be happy if they just made a oem look alike with the led c running lights, ( like gm has standard on all theur trucks) )and used regular lights for the main beams. would be a lot cheaper that way and it would still have the good look.
I feel the same way! I like the looks of the LED C bar, however having to pay an extra $4k + $1k to get the Ultimate Lariat package and LED lights was hard for me to swallow. On top of that, although I like the OEM lights I also like black housing on my trucks, so it would suck if after paying $5k extra just to get those lights that there is an aftermarket one that's similar to OEM and black housing. The fact that Anzo made what I saw from the F150 is giving me hopes they can make something similar for the Super Duty.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:48 PM
BFC Headlights
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by tuclai
I feel the same way! I like the looks of the LED C bar, however having to pay an extra $4k + $1k to get the Ultimate Lariat package and LED lights was hard for me to swallow. On top of that, although I like the OEM lights I also like black housing on my trucks, so it would suck if after paying $5k extra just to get those lights that there is an aftermarket one that's similar to OEM and black housing. The fact that Anzo made what I saw from the F150 is giving me hopes they can make something similar for the Super Duty.
There are some reliable options starting to surface for the "C LED" pieces on these trucks - they can be installed in OEM housings (halogen base) and a retrofit can be ideal for a much more powerful low beam option. All still WELL below the $5k mark (even below the $2k mark).

Old 10-26-2016, 06:25 PM
dh1200
Senior User
Originally Posted by tuclai
winjet also makes f150 leds assemblies similar to anzo, but i think the winjets look even closer to oem. I emailed them a couple months ago about the new SD and they said their development team is already working on it.

http://winjetinc.com/index.php/winje...2015-2016.html

Old 10-26-2016, 06:25 PM
dh1200
Senior User
Originally Posted by BFC Headlights
There are some reliable options starting to surface for the "C LED" pieces on these trucks - they can be installed in OEM housings (halogen base) and a retrofit can be ideal for a much more powerful low beam option. All still WELL below the $5k mark (even below the $2k mark).
Good to know, i'll have to look into them.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:27 PM
BFC Headlights
Former Vendor
Good to know, i'll have to look into them.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:51 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
The benefits of the LED are being overlooked. They may not be the best on the market, but they are good.

1. They are brighter than the halogen option. More even spread of light.

2. The white color is closer to daylight and reduces eye fatigue.

3. The LED front and rear lighting is vastly more visible to other drivers, from further away, and especially during inclement weather.

4. The look of the truck is 100% modern & upscale.

I realize many people are ordering the LED option simply because of item #4 on my list, but the other benefits are real as well. Simply measuring the distance the LED headlights reach compared to the halogen reach and saying "it isn't worth the cost" is silly. It does actually cost more than $5k to get the LEDs on a Lariat, but you are *not* paying $5k for the headlights. Many other nice features are included. You are also getting *complete* LED exterior lighting included in the package: C-clamp DRLs, low and high beams, fog lamps, amber front turn signals, rear taillights, rear marker light zig-zags, rear turn signals, rear reverse lamps, brake lamps, 3rd brake lamp, and license plate lamps.

I doubt the aftermarket could set you up that well for the $1080 or whatever the LED light package *actually* costs, nor would it look as visually nice. It might be brighter. But it would look aftermarket.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:11 AM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
The benefits of the LED are being overlooked. They may not be the best on the market, but they are good. 1. They are brighter than the halogen option. More even spread of light. 2. The white color is closer to daylight and reduces eye fatigue. 3. The LED front and rear lighting is vastly more visible to other drivers, from further away, and especially during inclement weather. 4. The look of the truck is 100% modern & upscale. I realize many people are ordering the LED option simply because of item #4 on my list, but the other benefits are real as well. Simply measuring the distance the LED headlights reach compared to the halogen reach and saying "it isn't worth the cost" is silly. It does actually cost more than $5k to get the LEDs on a Lariat, but you are *not* paying $5k for the headlights. Many other nice features are included. You are also getting *complete* LED exterior lighting included in the package: C-clamp DRLs, low and high beams, fog lamps, amber front turn signals, rear taillights, rear marker light zig-zags, rear turn signals, rear reverse lamps, brake lamps, 3rd brake lamp, and license plate lamps. I doubt the aftermarket could set you up that well for the $1080 or whatever the LED light package *actually* costs, nor would it look as visually nice. It might be brighter. But it would look aftermarket.
After 12 hours of ownership, and having driven with them at night, I completely agree with all of your points, especially the eye fatigue.

Of note...I keep getting flashed. I've read elsewhere in here about that as well. I like driving fogs on all the time, am going to try cutting those off and see if that helps. My wife has the same issue on her Wrangler Unlimited...fogs = flashing.

So far, VERY impressed with the entire lighting package on the truck, top notch.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:46 AM
BigStu59
Senior User
The benefits of the LED are being overlooked. They may not be the best on the market, but they are good.

3. The LED front and rear lighting is vastly more visible to other drivers, from further away, and especially during inclement weather.

I realize many people are ordering the LED option simply because of item #4 on my list, but the other benefits are real as well. Simply measuring the distance the LED headlights reach compared to the halogen reach and saying "it isn't worth the cost" is silly. It does actually cost more than $5k to get the LEDs on a Lariat, but you are *not* paying $5k for the headlights. Many other nice features are included. You are also getting *complete* LED exterior lighting included in the package: C-clamp DRLs, low and high beams, fog lamps, amber front turn signals, rear taillights, rear marker light zig-zags, rear turn signals, rear reverse lamps, brake lamps, 3rd brake lamp, and license plate lamps.

I doubt the aftermarket could set you up that well for the $1080 or whatever the LED light package *actually* costs, nor would it look as visually nice. It might be brighter. But it would look aftermarket.
The reasons above is why ordered the options. Plus I can order these options. My last truck unless something unexpected happens.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:49 AM
BFC Headlights
Former Vendor

Definitely good info. The LED package is really nice - and having brighter tailights (as well as other areas) is huge. While it is true people go for the options most often for #4, #3 should really be the selling point.

Anything LED in terms of aftermarket will not match performance or reliability that the OEM setup can offer. The aftermarket LED scene is just NOT there yet with technology. HID's still offer big upgrades AND reliability (with a lot of OEM options for installation available) - but LED has that "curb appeal" that most are after these days too.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:50 AM
BFC Headlights
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BigStu59
The reasons above is why ordered the options. Plus I can order these options. My last truck unless something unexpected happens.
Anytime the factory offers better lighting - it's a good call. Very clean, functional and a nice upgrade for sure.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:46 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
BFC, as an aftermarket supplier, you're earning my respect for being honest and up-front. Personally, I prefer the OEM look although I recognize some aftermarket lighting solutions are actually better.

Maybe you can answer this question for me: Chevy is offering HID headlights as standard equipment on lower model trucks, including W/T base trim work trucks. High-end trim trucks are offering LED headlights as standard. Isn't HID more expensive then LED? My understanding is that HID uses a bulb filled with pressurized xenon gas and two electrodes. High voltage is generated by a ballast to "start" an electrical arc in the bulb (somewhere there is Mercury in there too) and then once running, the HID bulb uses lower voltage than a halogen filament. However, the HID system needs high quality optics or a projector, the aforementioned ballast / transformer, and electronics to stabilize the voltage. Finally, bi-xenon requires a shutter on the optics which move to change the beam output pattern. To me, that equipment is much more costly than a simple light emitting diode with a heat sink and a small circuit board to manage it. Perhaps the Chevy trucks are HID low beam only, not sure. What do you think?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED headlights on XLT trucks?