1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1970 E200 rolling resto

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:22 PM
pdxgeo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1970 E200 rolling resto

I will soon be purchasing a relatively unmolested shortt window van and i wonder if there are any vendors that carry parts and accessories for the model? So far my internet searching has yielded very little.

thanks

Old 10-23-2016, 07:15 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ooh........A '70 E200........my first van in 1974..........

Parts are getting harder to find for these old girls.........But JCW and Rockauto have a good line for parts. jcwhitney might have some accessories still on hand?

Found this Link you might find some info on.

What size engine does this van have? The 240 turned the wheels, and that was about all, going up a steep hill...........full throttle, and 20mph........maybe.....

If it has the 302, that was the power house for that year and van.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:27 AM
pdxgeo
New User
1970 E200

It's got the 240. Ive decoded the vin plate and thats what I learned even though the seller thought it had the 170. I don't think he drove it much, he has a lot of "projects" in his yard.

I plan to pull the head, have new parts installed as needed, milled and while its off check the block, rings etc. If it needs a rebuild I may spring for the parts to make it a 300. If not it goes back together stock. I need it as a city tool hauler, The neighborhoods I usually work in (cabinetmaker) are pretty flat...

I am looking forward to learning about the van and to being a part of this group.

Thanks for the reply, bummer about the 240, so far everything Ive read says it's bombproof (which is important to me also)

Actually I am as concerned with MPG as performance so I will continue to read about these motors with that in mind too.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:46 PM
Oggy Bleacher
4wd Low
another forum you might find useful

Second Gen Econolines - Index page

I own a '69 E200 bubble top as my home and daily driver. The 302 v8 does indeed have some muscle but when gas was $4.79 a gallon I really wished I had a 240. The MPG is brutal in a city with 8 cylinders. On the highway it is ok, maybe 14 mpg or 16 mpg, but in the city I considered each red light a fifty cent toll booth. I think I get 10 mpg in a city unless that city is Los Angeles then I get 8 mpg so an a 8 mile trip in 2008 cost almost $5. I was driving 80-100 miles a day doing contract assembly and spending $70 in fuel. Gas got up over $5 at that time, though. I actually had to buy a horrible Dodge caravan running on 3 cylinders because the fuel cost of my econoline were half what I was making using it as a work vehicle in L.A.. Right now is the time (maybe the last time ever) to be driving these gas hogs with under $2 gas per gallon so I guess it won't be so bad spending $20-$30 a day in fuel.

good luck on the resurrection. they are awesome vans with character. I use Rock Auto for just about every part. I just plan ahead or buy bearings and such before I need them.

Does yours still have points ignition and 4 drum brakes? I never converted from stock but I can appreciate the argument. also, manual steering and manual brakes take some work. like driving an old tractor.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:05 PM
pdxgeo
New User
Thank you. I believe it is all stock. I should be picking it up some time in the next 2 weeks. I have already been eyeballing an eel electronic ignition (pertronix i think) and a few other small relatively cheap upgrades. Anyone using a more modern starter or alternator? Perhaps you could share what would work so i could hit the pick and pulls. Newer ford van stuff ok? Those are likely available as there are still so many left

Old 10-23-2016, 04:00 PM
Oggy Bleacher
4wd Low
I'm no expert on compatible parts so it all depends on what you need. I think the Mustang and the Bronco and the Galaxie from this era share similar parts so look out for those too. I have found very few usable items at junk yards for my van but have been lucky that I haven't needed many.
the petronix is what seems to be the most common electronic ignition conversion. better MPG and more reliable spark compared to points. I have used the economy reman alternator and starter with good results and I even have two batteries separated by a smart charger so the alternator is always charging the primary battery or the deep cell battery. maybe a high output alternator would fit my set up better but I haven't experienced a problem with the basic model.

The biggest annoyance is the manual steering. It puts a lot of strain on the steering system navigating parking lots so inspect that system closely before going prime time. All the components look to be available either re-manufactured like the steering box or new compatible like the tie rods ends but, for instance, I have the wrong steering box on my van. It fits, but it allows for a tighter turning radius and that causes the wheel to rub the radius arm. So, is it really compatible? technically it works but it's the wrong part. that's something that could happen if you pull a part off another van from the '80s.

there are so many things to go over but the engine, carb, tranny, drive shaft, drums...it's all right there in front of you. it's a great design to work on. there's no huge headaches to reach any of the components, no dashboard, no AC hoses, no power nothing. it spoils me for when I work on newer vehicles and wonder how an engineer thought this was a good idea to fit it all in as small a space as possible? why torture the pro mechanic and make it impossible for a novice to do minor repairs? 4 billable hours to replace a headlight? come on! not true with the vintage econoline...man, if a person can't fix the 2nd generation econoline then sell the tools because nothing is as accessible as these vans. It's like someone looked at a lawnmower and decided to put a van body around it. simple. SAE bolts and phillips head screws. Diagnosing a problem is still a fine art but once you know what the problem is then fixing it is straight forward. pretty much everything that can be done to these vans has been done and an illustrated essay has been written about it. you just have to find the essay.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:17 AM
pdxgeo
New User
That is all good to hear, thanks. I am excited to dig into it a bit. It runs but there was smoke coming from the engine into the cabin. The seller claimed it was oil leaking onto the manifold butbI sorta doubt that despite the presence of oil residue everywhere. Id bet at the least the valve seals and at worst the rings so that is what i will investigate and will tighten up any leaks in the process.