Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
Opinions wanted

I have a truck up for sale on CL, and I'd like to get your opinions of the AD and the price. It's been up about a week and all I'm getting so far are people wanting to trade me car, guns, trucks and boats. I actually went in today and edited it because of all the people texting me to trade, so take a look and tell me what I should change. Thanks.

95 Ford F250 4x4 Plow Truck

Old 10-20-2016, 01:53 PM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ad looks good to me. rust would be totally normal for your area, mileage is low for the age of the truck, and you have been upfront about the issues. a week with no serious lookers could mean that you should maybe lower the price a notch.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:24 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Looks fine to me. Honest and up front about the problems and priced right

Old 10-21-2016, 08:01 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll let it run through the weekend and see what happens, If it doesn't sell, I'll adjust the price.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:31 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,163 Likes on 918 Posts
Per the ad: "I have until the end of October to sell it then the plates need to be renewed, I will ask another $100 for it at that time."

Why threaten to raise the price because you need to renew the plate?

Why pass that onto the buyer when they already have to pay fees to register it after purchasing?

You wanted feedback.....

Old 10-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
RLA. in some states the plates follow the vehicle as well as the the registration.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:39 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ +1 on the plates; check with your DOT, but generally, you don't need the truck registered to sell it. If you do, I would just consider eating the $100 and take that info off the ad. Good idea to include the no-trade info, but put all that at the END. START the ad with the GOOD info about the TRUCK.

Pics are more important that people think (ad readers don't even realize how they're responding to the pics in the ad). First pic, if it's intended to show the truck in "on duty" in winter, I'd lighten up the brightness and re-post. If it's just a random pic of the truck, I'd delete it; a pic of the truck from that long ago might make people think (not even consciously) that it's been on the market for that long.

Pics 2, 3, 4 re-shoot without cutting off the subject. Use an edit to fuzz the license plate rather than blocking it with a thumb/finger (again, viewers think the thumb is a goof, and so judge the ad, without even realizing it). Shoot pic 2 horizontally. Crop some of the foreground out of the last pic.

Include pics of the interior, including one of the dash with the key in RUN so viewers can see the odometer reading. A pic under the hood is always a good idea. If the frame and underside are fairly clean and solid (even if there's surface rust), a pic or two under there might be good. More pics in an ad cost nothing.

Emphasize the ZF5 manual transmission (am I remembering this right, behind a 351 it's a ZF5?). Make it clear that the 4x4 works properly, esp. 4LO. Mention the aftermarket (AR?) wheels, in case viewers don't notice (or include a close-up pic of one). If the rear fuel tank works (other than the leak), mention it (look at how many tank selection issues come up on these forums; if the buyer knows that's not an issue it's a BIG plus).

+1 on being up-front about the issues. It's so easy to spot a CL ad where the seller is trying to hide stuff; your ad has "honest seller" written all over it. Honest buyers will pick up on that.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by rla2005
Per the ad: "I have until the end of October to sell it then the plates need to be renewed, I will ask another $100 for it at that time."

Why threaten to raise the price because you need to renew the plate?

Why pass that onto the buyer when they already have to pay fees to register it after purchasing?

You wanted feedback.....
I didn't look at it as threatening, I looked at it as I'll have to invest another $108.00 for a sticker if it's not sold by the end of the month, but you have a point, some could see it as "buy it or the price goes up".

Thanks.

Diesel Brad, yeah IL doesn't work like that, IL would never give it residents a break to let the plates go with the car. Anyway they can squeeze money out of us, they will. Now I know my mother just did a title change and plates from FL to MS, I think MS charged her about $300, but I don't think sticker renewal is anywhere near $100 a year for her.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
madpogue, Thanks for the info...LOL, I'll have to print off your comment, there's quite a few items you mentioned.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:47 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh, another thought - cross-post it in the nearby IL/WI lists (Janesville, Racine/Kenosha, Madison, Milwaukee, Rockford). Here in WI, if you buy a used vehicle you can drive it home without registration. But that's all you get, ONE trip home. We bought our first PSD from Autoland in Byron (now they're in Rockton on a HUGE lot), drove it all the way home with no plates, no hassle.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:26 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,163 Likes on 918 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Here in WI, if you buy a used vehicle you can drive it home without registration. But that's all you get, ONE trip home.
The same thing applies here in Illinois. I've done it many times over the years when purchasing a vehicle from a private owner. I have a few standard forms I bring with me for the sale of the vehicle. Just in case I get stopped I can prove I just purchased the vehicle.

One car adventure involved flying to Detroit then driving the truck back home over a 2 day period. I was a bit worried but no one ever blinked an eye about a missing plate over several hundred miles.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:58 PM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by madpogue
Oh, another thought - cross-post it in the nearby IL/WI lists (Janesville, Racine/Kenosha, Madison, Milwaukee, Rockford). Here in WI, if you buy a used vehicle you can drive it home without registration. But that's all you get, ONE trip home. We bought our first PSD from Autoland in Byron (now they're in Rockton on a HUGE lot), drove it all the way home with no plates, no hassle.
Thanks, I'll give it a try, The last time I cross posted was to sell my dads 65 Chevy drop top, I got flagged for posting in more than one area.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:05 PM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Just had another person text me, wanted to know if I'd trade, I asked, what do you want to trade? His answer: What do you want?. I thought and I finally answered, I said I'll trade for only one thing, 1967 - 1974 Ford Econoline E-100 Shorty cargo van. He said " I've got a couple of 70's Honda motorcycles with no titles." I don't know if people are playing games or if they're for real.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:04 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
I have some things listed on a Facebook group. Like you, I said no trades. I've had one honest offer each on two items. Everything else has been "I'll trade you a jet ski" or "I'll trade you a boat", then there's a young guy that has asked me for three weeks if it's still available. One week he said he'll come look at it, then ghosted. Selling stuff is not enjoyable.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:39 PM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have quite a bit of experience selling stuff on craigslist (mostly lawnmowers).
in my experience texters are, almost without exception, low-ballers looking for a steal. i don't take them seriously anymore.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted