Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Zone F4 level kit + E99 truck = Issues issues SOS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:36 AM
fargo900
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zone F4 level kit + E99 truck = Issues issues SOS!

Ok hey everybody I'm here hoping I can get some much needed help!
First off the truck in question is a VERY early '99 (3-3-1998 build date) F350 she has the 7.3 mated to a ZF6 with 4X. Love the truck I got it pretty much stock that I can tell and well cared for, its my 2nd 7.3, i've owned it little over a year I work the road pulling my fifth wheel and just try not to abuse her too much!

Well, recently I ordered a Zone Offroad 2.5" level kit after some research and back forth with a dealer about my ubolts they had decided even after seeing pictures that mine are of the rounded variety found on later model superdutys (which is good to go with their kit). I received everything and mine are in fact the squared off ones which is not a big prob in itself but its where upon further investigation I realized I do have issues with sway bar mounting points on the frame and possibly at the axle.
The zone directions call for unbolting the stock brackets that attach the links to the frame, and flip them upside down remount on bottom side of rail and this gives clearance after the lift has been added. In PIC#1 you can see where I did this and not only would there not be enough clearance for the link/leafs but in PIC#2 a third bolt hole doesn't align (wasn't made to anyway I suppose). Now im understanding why this kit is not recommended for early 99 trucks! But im not giving up.

Ok well the dude that sold me the lift kit sent me this ebay link: >>
NEW OEM FRONT SWAY BAR MOUNTING BRACKET FORD F250 F350 F450 F550 SD EXCURSION | eBay

<< Is for a later model '00-03 bracket which is going to be my first attempt at solving this particular problem. Have attached some pics with mounting measurements and bolt spacing on my frame rails and my stock bracket. Sooo guessing I need something like 1.75" or a little more distance between the link side of the bracket and its frame mounting holes (theres 1" now).
I have been unsuccessful in getting measurements from the dealer selling this newer bracket SOOOO I was hoping maybe someone here can enlighten me on having done this before or possibly have some measurements...? before I go prying some of these off at a scrapyard!

My next issue was discovered after ordering of a set of bushings (cause mine were all cracked and ****ty) and hardware from energy suspension - kit# 4.5192G. Ive found the lower strap bushings have an ID of 1.25" but my sway bar measures out at 1.072" and maybe im wrong but I don't think there is supposed to be that much of a gap or any??

Further upon discovering this, I came across a TSB issued by Ford back in the day about the axle links on the early trucks being positioned too low and prone to damage so they recommend a retro-fit to move them up higher on the axle. Then I got to looking closer and hell maybe its just me but looks like my passenger side is tweaked pretty decent but being totally unfamiliar with this and lack of material online i've attached a pic so you can see its off a few degrees angled toward the rear of the truck.. Should it be this way?

Basically, im wanting to get some feedback from those of yall who have dealt with this crockery on what my options are..

#1 If I acquire the later upper sway bar brackets will they align with the bolt holes in my frame and allow the linkages to clear the leafs?

#2 Does energy suspension or anyone carry a smaller ID strap bushing for these early trucks? Or..

#3 Should I order a larger diameter sway bar from energy/some other aftermarket supplier? AND/OR.....

#4 Does it appear that I have the PRE retro-fit lower sway bar mounts at the axle? and if my passenger side mount really is tweaked, should I just try bending it back straight or would it make sense to get the details on this old TSB and have a welder out here to get both mounts fixed up right???

Confusing set of issues to deal with here, just looking for the most straightforward/best solution to all this so I can get my truck back together and get going again. Its hunting season and im already missing out on way too much!!!

Thanks in advance...

Attached Images             
Old 10-20-2016, 02:14 PM
fargo900
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suppose if I could find extended sway bars would be a much simpler solution. My stocks are 9" center to center, so if I'm thinking correctly, 11.5" c to c should have my swaybar sitting at level. I found these but they're for 3-4" lifts and there are no dimensions listed..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...350-super-duty

Anyone know where I can get 11.5" links for this truck??