1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anything you wish you would have done different?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Hanger53
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I would not have waited so long to get one of these trucks!!!

Old 10-23-2016, 04:36 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
Anything you wish you would have done differently on your build? Something you change that you feel you shouldn't have? Something you didn't but wish you did?

A lot of us are doing a build without having any time to really drive it first, makes it hard to know exactly what you want to do with it before you could actually use it.

Thought it might be a good topic, pictures always a plus.
Yes, this is a good topic. Now many of us like learning new skills but one lesson that I would skip is hand reaming kingpin bushings. Next time I will a.) Make sure that they really need replaced and b.) if they do I'll take the axle to a machine shop and let them do it.

Not a fun job IMHO.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:44 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by pappacrunch
EBEAR - What I found out once I got the AOD in and have driven it for awhile and had it tuned and adjusted and all that good stuff is that the AOD HATES 2nd gear. It likes to go from 1st, touch 2nd and then move to 3rd. That move from 2nd to 3rd is so quick sometimes it will cause a stumble. Somehow I missed that in all the reading and research I did. After having experienced it, I had something to research and find that it is a real thing and not just my imagination or a problem with my tranny. Somewhere down the line I will change out the valve body to one from Silver Fox Transmissions that is tuned to hold that shift a little longer. I will also change the governor to hold wide open throttle a little longer.

The AOD is a ton better than manually shifting the T-98 that was in it. But it is one of those things I would do different if I had known.

My truck is my tool to relax so I know and understand it will never be done and I will always have the opportunity to stay relaxed. :-)
That is why I went with the 4R70W . . . no TV linkage. Everything is electronic and with the Baumann electronic controller you can change shift points.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:49 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 541 Likes on 308 Posts
From what I gather the c4 corvette conversion was popular a number of years ago ( mine also has from PO ) I certainly wouldn't go that route if I were to build one now . I have no doubt it will ride and drive nicely , but for the complexity , limited rear height adjustability and the difficulty in getting rims that have corvette rear spacing and a need for an opposite offset for the front because of the very narrow stance . PS I'm still looking for a front sway bar that will work

Old 10-23-2016, 05:38 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good thread, it has really made me think back at all the things that I learned by my mistakes, and yes I have made many of them. But no I wouldn't change a thing. My truck will never in a million years be show material but every where I look I have a memory, a lesson learned, or an injury in some cases. the best part is I have been able to drive it for almost the entire build. It has been from the start and continues to be one of the most enjoyable things I have done in my life. I wouldn't mind doing a frame off build on a different truck so I could apply what I have learned, but this one is just me, not perfect but the best I could do at the time. The only advice that I would like to pass along to the guys just buying a truck that is close to running, is don't be in a hurry to tear it down. You will miss so much, make it safe and drive it a while. They come apart real fast, but it may be years B4 you ever get to drive it, and that would of been a shame for me. Thanks for listening.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:53 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
I agree with the quality plus I'm not sure what's wrong but my extended rear shackles hit the bottom of the bed. My bed isn't fully bolted down with the pads yet but I can see where the top is rubbing the bed. haven't got to take mine out on the road yet but I'll be disappointed if it still squeaks and growns.
Yes, B.J. Mine rub as well. Glad to know I am not the only one with rubbing issues. I ended up putting some more spacers in the rails to elevate the bed.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:13 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Figured I might bump this as I'm working a whole lot more on my truck now that it's spring.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:23 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I cut my frame to bumper horns off and smoothed the lower valence on the front lower sheet metal. After quite some time looking at this I'm thinking "now what ?" That's when I had serious doubts. Then after that, I also smoothed the upper to lower fenders, after carefully eliminating every trace of rust and I welded them back together. Anyways, I saved this treasure from the crusher.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:56 AM
F1 coyote
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
No regrets yet and I hope I don't have any, just been a ton of challenges trying to keep the truck looking mostly stock while going to the dark side to get a better driving truck with enough HP to keep up with traffic.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:20 AM
Tomcat49
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I had known, I would have joined this FTE and saved myself anguish and money from what I have done wrong already.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:24 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Originally Posted by Tomcat49
If I had known, I would have joined this FTE and saved myself anguish and money from what I have done wrong already.
This hobby(?) isn't about what you have done wrong as much as it is about what you have done right.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:26 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Married a wealthy woman! Oh,,,,,,,,you mean truckwise? Nope I'm good

Old 03-06-2018, 04:21 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Your BAD Brother

Old 03-06-2018, 08:11 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
Yes, this is a good topic. Now many of us like learning new skills but one lesson that I would skip is hand reaming kingpin bushings. Next time I will a.) Make sure that they really need replaced and b.) if they do I'll take the axle to a machine shop and let them do it.

Not a fun job IMHO.
Agreed! I did the kingpins in a 55 Chevy truck many years ago, one that I bought for $50 because the steering was really really hard. Took me way too much time and way too much sweat (summer time in Houston).

One thing that I would have done differently on my build is that I bought new tires too early. I also made the decision to keep the motor that was in the truck when I got it even though it was the wrong brand. I had it rebuilt and it runs good, but I wish I had gone ahead and gotten a 302 and gone with EFI. Next time!

Old 03-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
My turn! I wish I would have installed a manual transmission. Everything these days is automatic. Not real happy with my steering column choice. Out of an '85-86 Bronco II too much plastic...
I wish I had an F1 to start with, but it has been a great learning tool for me.

Quick Reply: Anything you wish you would have done different?