1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anything you wish you would have done different?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:51 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Wish I had kept this and not traded it for that rough old 55 F100 that I have played with on and off for the last 25+ years. Guess my childhood memories of the old Ford trucks on our farm made me do it.

Name:  scan0009.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  63.8 KB

Old 10-21-2016, 10:39 PM
pappacrunch
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey Charlie, the last place I took it to was Valley Transmission out in El Cajon. Let me know where you take yours. Thanks Kevin

Old 10-21-2016, 10:46 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
Wish I had kept this and not traded it for that rough old 55 F100 that I have played with on and off for the last 25+ years. Guess my childhood memories of the old Ford trucks on our farm made me do it.

A Vega panel wagon! You can't be serious! It would have rusted away by how.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:10 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,119 Likes on 2,649 Posts

Is that a long tube headers I see under that Drew, they were nice little cars..

Old 10-22-2016, 08:23 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abe
A Vega panel wagon! You can't be serious! It would have rusted away by how.
I can't tell either if he's serious or not! Haha

Old 10-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Is that a long tube headers I see under that Drew, they were nice little cars..
Yep, I put a 350/350 engine trans, my wife upholstered the inside and it was my daily driver. It was really quick and a lot of fun to drive. I know that a lot of people said they had rust problems, but I found nothing in this one and I also had another wagon that was rust free. The yellow one in the background was a rust bucket but it came from up north, so I wasn't surprised.

Just to clarify, I just wish I had kept the Vega and looked for a better F100 than the one I wound up with. I wanted to do some custom touches, just not to the degree that I found myself going due to the condition.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluey Zedoff
Hi Jason.
sound deadener is a great idea, but the stuff I bought from Johnny Law motors was one step above the kind of foil you wrap your chicken in when you bake him.

The advantage of the shackles as far as I can tell is primarily to lower or raise the height, which they do. The quality of the rear y hanger is very poor and does nto compare to the original (Midfifty even say this, and I think they are correct). I didn't detect any advantage with the poly bushes. In fact, I think it rides a little harsher if anything. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with how it came out. I have plenty of options to lower the truck how I want it now, and it is a lot cheaper than a 4 link. But if I had the cash, I go a different direction.
Cheers mate.
Peter
Thanks for clearing that up Peter, I appreciate it.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:18 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Charlieled my first F100, ran an AOD behind a 4V 72' 351C out of a Torino. I loved it.

I wish IN A shock of IRONY I had listened to the early 30s Donald versus the late 30s version. The younger one always thought in my specific situation it would be better to BUY than build A 56'. Especially if one that had 80% or greater details I like. Now in my late 40s the Build-a-56 is a much greater taxing journey than a BUY a 56' would have been...

While Drewski would have preferred a better base to start with I would preferred BUYING a running 56' built along my preferences..

Old 10-22-2016, 07:01 PM
bulldog9
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish we had done more research on 1953 f350 dually before purchasing.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:57 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 123 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluey Zedoff
Hi man.
Even writing the words "electric windows" sends me into fits of convulsions.

(one hour later)

Sorry, had to get over my fit from writing "electric windows"

(another hour later)

Do you get where I am coming from? I think fitting these up consumed about four solid weekends and they are still not great. I mean, they go up and down, but not superbly. I cracked two side windows out of frustration and seriously considered selling the truck. In fact, I actually DID put the truck on ebay, deciding to walk away from it. Vowing that I would not go near that thing until hell freezed over. No matter what happened. I was finished. Done. The end.

Anyway, an hour later I was back out there, truck off ebay and into it for the fifth weekend.

Thing is, I don't think it is an easy job, and it is high on the frustration factor, but there really isn't that much to think about apart from lining them up with spacers etc. It should be easy. But, I found spending a day with my in laws to be only marginally worse.

Don't let me discourage you. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. And after doing the windows, I reckon I can outlift anything Brian Shaw can lift
Cheers mate
Peter
In my case (F-1) the electric window installation went ok however setting up remote electric door locks that also work electrically with the original key as well took way too much time.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:35 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Yep, I put a 350/350 engine trans, my wife upholstered the inside and it was my daily driver. It was really quick and a lot of fun to drive. I know that a lot of people said they had rust problems, but I found nothing in this one and I also had another wagon that was rust free. The yellow one in the background was a rust bucket but it came from up north, so I wasn't surprised.

Just to clarify, I just wish I had kept the Vega and looked for a better F100 than the one I wound up with. I wanted to do some custom touches, just not to the degree that I found myself going due to the condition.
Ok, that makes better sense! You see up here in PA, Vegas didn't last too long if driven in the winter. And those stock aluminum engines....

Old 10-22-2016, 10:37 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by bulldog9
Wish we had done more research on 1953 f350 dually before purchasing.
Tell us why? I have a 55 F350 dually and love it!

I see this is your first post. Welcome to FTE, the best Ford Truck Forum on the world wide Web.

Show us some pics of your truck, please.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:39 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Sometimes I wish I had waited and bought a different truck. One that doesn't need body work done to every single panel.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:42 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
At my second ever job I lifted a Vega on a twin-post hoist and the windshield fell out. It didn't break, it just kinda flopped down on the cowl and steering wheel. I guess between the rust and being flexed a bit from picking it up on the hoist finished it off.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:02 PM
KP Bob
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a very interesting post, and look forward to reading more posts, as I am in the middle of mine and had the idea to change to a single side window as well. My plan was to do A/C, so I don't know if it will matter or not. The suspension stuff I have taken care of(I hope) by putting C4 Corvette in, front and back, boxed the frame, etc. Since it's been 12 or so years since I started, and never driven it, we will see. I have a long way to go, and after a lot of life has happened since I started, want to get back at it. I'm just starting to do the plumbing, and have been doing a lot of head scratching trying to wrap my head around that.

Quick Reply: Anything you wish you would have done different?