Sponsored by: Moser

Sync 4.6 Update issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 08:54 AM
blhamon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync 4.6 Update issue

I purchased a 2014 F-150 XLT Short box crew cab in June, and the Sync system said it was up to date (Jan-2014) at v4.2 forever.

I was frustrated with Bluetooth and voice recognition, so I scoured the internet for threads on updates. I read that Ford pulled v4.4 for install issues, and I even found that there was a v4.6 released earlier this year, but it wasn't available for my truck yet. A quick online chat revealed that it was being rolled out in waves.

Well, yesterday, I ran a Vehicle History Report, logged on last night to look at it, and was told I had a Sync update available. So, I downloaded it, formatted an 8GB memory stick on Mac OS X (as FAT), copied the files over, which weren't zippped, but somehow all the files in the folder had the folder name as part of the file name. So I created a folder, copied those files into it, renamed them to remove the foldername portion of the filename. Tried to update, seemed to start ok, got a voice message that said my download was in progress and to ignore the first "Installation Complete" message, that it would reboot and run for another 10 minutes, and then I could use my sync features. And then immediately, it went to Installation failed.

So, I did a master reset, and tried again. Same results. I'm not a Mac guy, and even though I think their FAT is FAT32, and feeling uneasy about the filename issues, I took the USB stick in to a Windows 10 machine. Formatted it to FAT32. Re-downloaded the file (which was a zip). Extracted it to a folder on the hard drive and then copied the 2 lst files and the SyncMyRide folder. Feeling better with how it more lined up with the instructions on Ford's site, I went to bed. (It was a little after 1 am) Got up this morning, put the stick in, started the installation as I was driving to work (20 minute commute), and immediately got the message that it was installing, then about 20 seconds later, got the voice prompt telling me download was in progress, ignore first complete message, blah blah blah. Then, as soon as the voice stopped, I got Installation Failed. Voice said that it failed and it was potentially not enough space, or not compatible with this version.

Tried another Master Reset and same results. I've tried searching for this scenario, but haven't been able to find it. Mostly see problems with "No Files Found".

Any suggestions on how to get the update to install? Or even where to begin to troubleshoot not enough space (8GB stick) or version (says it's 4.6, from my SyncPage so I would think the version should work.)

Thanks

Old 10-19-2016, 08:59 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Some flash drives have hidden boot files on them. Even if you format the flash drive the file still stay. Do a google search on you flash drive and see if you get any hits. You might try a different brand flash drive too.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:59 AM
blhamon
New User
hmm...now that you mention it. I did see a .Trashes hidden file when I did the Mac install. And the Windows 10 is a new installation, so I might not have turned on "Show Hidden Files". Thanks I'll give that a try. I also have only tried 1 USB stick, assuming that a format and copy from both a Mac and a Windows machine meant it was OK, so I'll try another stick as well.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:08 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I hope is work for you. I had that issues a few year ago.
I went to the Ford site and it says DR3T-14D544-AG SYNC v4.6 is ready for me to download but it won't work for me. Clicked on the link for it to email me a copy and still waiting....

Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by blhamon
hmm...now that you mention it. I did see a .Trashes hidden file when I did the Mac install. And the Windows 10 is a new installation, so I might not have turned on "Show Hidden Files". Thanks I'll give that a try. I also have only tried 1 USB stick, assuming that a format and copy from both a Mac and a Windows machine meant it was OK, so I'll try another stick as well.

Thanks for the reply.
Hey blhamon,

You'll also want to make sure the engine is running with the vehicle in park when you install the update. Let me know if you run into any other issues.

Cara

Old 10-21-2016, 01:30 PM
blhamon
New User
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey blhamon,

You'll also want to make sure the engine is running with the vehicle in park when you install the update. Let me know if you run into any other issues.

Cara

Cara, The first time I tried, I was sitting in the driveway with the engine running, but not the second time. I'll give that a try and post an update. Been a busy week, so I haven't had a chance to try since I originally posted.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:20 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by blhamon
Cara, The first time I tried, I was sitting in the driveway with the engine running, but not the second time. I'll give that a try and post an update. Been a busy week, so I haven't had a chance to try since I originally posted.
I understand. I'll look out for your reply. Have a great weekend!

Cara

Old 10-31-2016, 10:05 AM
blhamon
New User
Well, I tried again, and the same thing happened. This time I used a different USB stick (16GB) and made sure it was completely empty (no hidden files), extracted the files from the zip to it, put it in (while parked) and started the installation. About 30 seconds into it, I recieved the same message about ignoring the first completed message and while that was speaking, it said "installation failed", not enough space or not compatible.

Oh, I also ran a VHR this morning, prior to re-downloading the install and extracting it, so there was no day delay this time between the download and the VHR.

One thing I did notice is, looking at the instructions on the Sync site, the screen shots don't show the autoinstall.lst (or whatever the auto file is), they only show the install.lst. And then email I recieved had "SYNC Download: Automated version" in the subject line. I'm wondering what would happen if I removed the autoinstall.lst file from the stick and try again. It doesn't start automatically anyway, I have to navigate to the menu to get it to start.

Very frustrating that it doesn't write a useful error to a log file or something. It seems like it really shouldn't be this hard (I'm a software developer by trade).

I will give my thought a try tonight. I can't from work because my work laptop will encrypt the USB stick if I try to access it.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:27 PM
4evertexan
New User
Blhamon, did you figure this out? I'm having the same problem installing this version on my 2012 F150.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:55 PM
fastback89
Senior User
It took me 3 or 4 tries but I finally figured it out. My issue was with having the files zipped. Keep trying you'll be happy with the results..

Old 12-25-2016, 02:02 PM
4evertexan
New User
I unzipped them to the thumb drive. Is that what you did? Not sure I understand your previous reply

Old 12-25-2016, 02:11 PM
fastback89
Senior User
This was the thread that helped me..
I followed this:

The instructions on the website DOES NOT work. But this will.

I got the Sync update to finally work. I downloaded the file three times...only one of them included the -HC.cab file. You have to have this file for the update to work.

After formatting the USB drive to a FAT32 drive...I copied the unzipped files to the drive.

This is how I got the update to work.

Turn on radio, insert into the USB port in the vehicle
Hit the Aux button
Hit the Menu button
On Sync Media, hit the OK button
NOW....scroll thru the menu with the FF button until you come to System Settings.....Hit OK
Scroll again with FF button to Advanced....Hit OK
Scroll again with FF button to Install Application....Hit OK

This will begin the update install. This will take probably 15 minutes. DO NOT pull out the USB drive UNTIL it says "Installation Complete" on the display screen....even though it says by sync voice that the install is complete. WAIT until it shows it on the screen.

Once displayed on the screen....press MENU to exit update mode.

You will have to re-pair your phone once the update is complete.

Your done....!!!!

Old 12-25-2016, 06:40 PM
4evertexan
New User
I've downloaded it 5 times and still don't see -HC.cab. Very frustrating.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:32 PM
blhamon
New User
Originally Posted by 4evertexan
Blhamon, did you figure this out? I'm having the same problem installing this version on my 2012 F150.
I did finally get it to work. There was a newer download in my account, dated Nov. 12, while my first one was Oct. something. Seemed to be the same files, but the datestamps were newer.

I went through the same install steps, started the truck, ran a diagnostic, went through the menus to install the application and it worked.

I did extract the files to my hard drive (PC, I never could get it to work from my Mac), and then copied them to the usb stick, instead of unzipping directly there.

It applied just as expected, didn't give my the message about ignoring the first "complete" one like I previously had, but it did give me a couple of messages and then told me it was complete.

I think I still have my zip file if you want me to post them somewhere.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:39 AM
rbentnail
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
I had a couple failed updating attempts, too. I could never get the unzipped files to work until I quit using Windoze and downloaded a quick-N-easy free one called 7-Zip something-or-other. Then I had to figure out where in the Sync menu I had to "click"- the instructions at ford.com did NOT work as there was no autoinstall to be found, it had to be done manually. I got the first audio "installation complete" and left it alone. After 45 minutes of idling in my driveway I said enough is enough and pulled the stick and turned off the truck. I never did get the second "installation complete" message but it seems that everything works the way it's supposed to now, it didn't before.

Good luck, nothing is ever simple when it comes to the Sync system.

Quick Reply: Sync 4.6 Update issue