2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

4 Wheel Down Towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:34 AM
rrthor
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 Wheel Down Towing

I will be buying a 2017 F350 4x4 in the near future. I want the option to tow it four wheels down behind my motor home. I am getting conflicting information on if it can be done with the “Shift On The Fly option” since four wheel down towing requires the transfer case to be in neutral.

The 2017 towing guide on page 13 says it is possible to tow a 4x4 vehicle four wheels down:

From the towing guide:
“For Electronic Shift-On-The-Fly transfer case vehicles, transmission in neutral position, both hub locks in AUTO 
position, engage the four-wheel-down towing feature (Neutral Tow Mode) – refer to Owner’s Manual. For manual shift transfer case vehicles, transmission in neutral, manual transfer case shifted into neutral, both hub locks in FREE position – refer to Owner’s Manual. Not for use on 4x2 vehicles. “

The 2017 owners manual on page 289 says you cannot tow a “Shift On The Fly” equipped vehicle four wheels down:

From the owners manual:
“Recreational Towing Note: Follow these guidelines if you have a need for recreational towing, such as towing your vehicle behind a motorhome. We designed these guidelines to prevent damage to your transmission. Two-wheel Drive Vehicles and Four-wheel Drive Vehicles Equipped with an Electronic-shift Transfer Case Do not tow your vehicle with any wheels on the ground, as vehicle or transmission damage may occur. It is recommended to tow your vehicle with all four (4) wheels off the ground, such as when using a car-hauling trailer. Otherwise, you cannot tow your vehicle. Four-wheel Drive Vehicles Equipped with a Manual-shift Transfer Case 1. Put the transmission in position N. 2. Put the transfer case in position N. 3. Put the hub locks in the FREE position. Always make sure that both hub locks are set to the same position.”

So does anyone have first hand information as to whether or not a Shift On The Fly equipped super duty can be towed four wheels down. The towing guide mentions “Neutral Tow Mode”. Does anyone know what this is.

Thanks
Rick

Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
It used to be you could either remove or insert a certain fuse which would cause the transfer case to shift electrically into neutral...which otherwise cannot be selected from in the cab.

I also read in the owner's manual you cannot flat tow the ESOF vehicles.

If there truly is no way to get the transfer case into neutral, one option would be to simply remove the rear driveshaft from the differential. You could remove it completely or just remove the diff end and hang it form the frame with stiff wire. The front will be disengaged so long as the hubs are left in the "auto" position.

Obviously, putting the transmission is "neutral" allows the vehicle to roll freely, but apparently towing a longer distance can cause harm...because even in neutral some internals are still spinning.

Unfortunately, RAM has a nice "neutral" button on their ESOF dial...

Old 10-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There a driveline dog clutch which can be installed on the tailstock of the transmission which will manually disengage the driveline just for RV towing. With the front hubs turned to Auto or Disengaged and this clutch disengaged you can tow 4 wheel down forever.
Drive Shaft Coupling

Old 10-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Obviously, putting the transmission is "neutral" allows the vehicle to roll freely, but apparently towing a longer distance can cause harm...because even in neutral some internals are still spinning.

Unfortunately, RAM has a nice "neutral" button on their ESOF dial...
Some vehicles such as Honda can be successfully towed in neutral (plus key on to unlock the steering. Thats another issue) if the engine is started and run for 5 minutes in gear every 150 miles. This provides enough lubrication to the transmission for a while. I would not trust this for a vehicle of value.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:00 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Some vehicles such as Honda can be successfully towed in neutral (plus key on to unlock the steering. Thats another issue) if the engine is started and run for 5 minutes in gear every 150 miles. This provides enough lubrication to the transmission for a while. I would not trust this for a vehicle of value.
Yeah, me either. If I was going cross-country, I'd disconnect the rear driveshaft. But who's towing a Super Duty behind their RV, anyway? Isn't the Super Duty supposed to in front of the RV

Old 10-18-2016, 03:53 PM
Robmiezer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Yeah, me either. If I was going cross-country, I'd disconnect the rear driveshaft. But who's towing a Super Duty behind their RV, anyway? Isn't the Super Duty supposed to in front of the RV
Man you beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing... I have to imagine, that will be some Giant Rig rolling down the road. I guess if you get into trouble you can throw the Superduty in reverse and pull the RV out : )

Sorry, I was of no help

Old 10-18-2016, 06:35 PM
rrthor
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normally we pull a CRV behind the coach. Just want the option to pull the truck. It would be nice when we are headed south for the winter. I could put my motorcycle in the back of the truck. Coach has plenty of power. It's only 35ft long and has a 8.9 Cummins.

Just frustrates me that the owners manual says one thing and the towing guide says another. If I have to I will get a manual transfer case.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:58 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rrthor
Normally we pull a CRV behind the coach. Just want the option to pull the truck. It would be nice when we are headed south for the winter. I could put my motorcycle in the back of the truck. Coach has plenty of power. It's only 35ft long and has a 8.9 Cummins.

Just frustrates me that the owners manual says one thing and the towing guide says another. If I have to I will get a manual transfer case.
This is a brand new transfer case for the Super Duty this year. The tow guide may not have caught up with the owners manual.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:42 PM
gbkeith
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No way, Ford has published conflicting information regarding the 2017 SD? This is my shocked face.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:39 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't think the owner's manual is a particularly reliable source of information in the current printing. Remember the long discussion on the 15 quart oil pan but someone found out later that it's still 13? Owner's manual is wrong about the upfitter wires, towing instructions, etc. Right now we just can't rely on about anything that is printed from Ford. We should put up a sticky with known good information that we learn only by actually doing.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:30 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's too easy to just pull the drive shaft, removes all risk too. Unless Ford has changed the u joint which is possible.

Steering is more of an issue though, especially if you have that new adaptive steering system.