Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So this happened today.......

Old 10-17-2016, 04:50 PM
RBerry9511
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
So this happened today.......

I was driving on my way to my fathers this morning and while I am waiting on a red light, I felt a jolt. I was rearended. It wasn't hard but enough to get my attention. I get out to see who hit me and any damage. First off the damage was limited to my hitch cover was cracked, no other damage. I then turn my attention to the car that hit me, a prius that had mild damge to its front end, not too bad still drivable. The older gentleman that was driving looked almost scared. I told him not to worry about it as he had alot more to fix and all I had to get was a new hitch cover (about $10) . The irony of it being a prius that hit me kept me smiling all day.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Climb under the truck and check the mounting bolts for the hitch. I was rear ended twice and both time the mounting bolts bent.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:07 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Can a Prius bend a bolt?

Old 10-17-2016, 10:08 PM
RBerry9511
Tuned
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
Climb under the truck and check the mounting bolts for the hitch. I was rear ended twice and both time the mounting bolts bent.
I will check that tomorrow. Not sure if the prius had enough weight to do that but I check it.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:13 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Intertia is a hell of a thing. Considering you were stationary, there wasn't much to dampen the impact and the bolts took whatever energy was left after the Prius crumpled. It may not have broken them, but there's still the shock loading that occurred which may very well manifest whenever you hook up a trailer.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:22 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
But it's plastic against metal!!

What do they weigh, 40-50 lbs.?

Oh wait, the battery weighs a HALF TON!

Old 10-18-2016, 07:20 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Sort of like shooting a bull elephant with a nerf gun

Glad he was able to drive away, too. Vehicles used to be able to survive a bump or two without $6000 in damage from a 3mph near miss.

Glad no one, including your ride, was hurt

Old 10-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It's also about what parts of the vehicles stuck each other.

I drove a late 70s era Econoline (E350?) when I did repair work, and had a Dodge Van rear end me at a stop sign. I got out and observed a small crease around the pass-side rear taillight, and the lens was broken. The Dodge's grille hit my rear bumper, his coolant was spewing out everywhere, his hood buckled, his fenders had bowed out from the grille parting sideways.. he had to get towed away. I installed red tape over the broken taillight and that E350 ran 2 more years until the engine went and we scrapped it.

Maybe, that's why I love my Ex so much - it reminds of that huge van and being "youngish" again.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:05 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 791 Likes on 554 Posts
I had a Subaru WRX rear end my EX a few years ago, no damage to the EX at all, took the impact fully on the hitch but the Subie had a 2.5" X 2.5" hole punched in its front. I felt bad for the girl driving her boyfriend's WRX, I'm sure he wasn't happy when she got home.
My favorite rear ending story though was when the Fire Engine I was driving to a call (code 3, lights and sirens) got rear ended at an intersection. My traffic light was red (the optical traffic controllers sometimes fail to trip the lights) so I came to a stop to check for clear passage when a Chevy Lumina hit the back of the rig. He was going about 20MPH when he hit us, fortunately due to the Engine's ride height he went under the tailboard and the overbuilt 20K hitch took that full impact also. When I walked back to his car his first words were "Why did you stop!", the State Trooper LOVED that, I think he had writer's cramp by the time he was done with the Chevy driver.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:25 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
"Why did you stop!"

Old 10-18-2016, 10:34 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Gotta love those modular hitches too...

Had them drop the tank and check all of the hitch mounting bolts and put it on a laser frame checker...no frame damage, but they did notice that when they pulled the hitch bolts, some of the threads were flattened where the hitch mount slid forward from her hitting me. A day later got my rig back with new hitch mount bolts and a new 3-way hitch (sans "the claw").

...her car was retired if memory serves...cracked engine block, couldn't get the passenger door open

Old 10-18-2016, 05:55 PM
RBerry9511
Tuned
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Gotta love those modular hitches too...

Had them drop the tank and check all of the hitch mounting bolts and put it on a laser frame checker...no frame damage, but they did notice that when they pulled the hitch bolts, some of the threads were flattened where the hitch mount slid forward from her hitting me. A day later got my rig back with new hitch mount bolts and a new 3-way hitch (sans "the claw").

...her car was retired if memory serves...cracked engine block, couldn't get the passenger door open
ok from everything I can see the bolts have zero damage. I tried to get pictures but can't see much. So once again Excursion wins!
I was glad no one was hurt also, except his pocketbook when he gets his vehicle fixed.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:11 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
That can-opener got some good use.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:39 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Surprised that hook didn't get good'n stuck in that Neon.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:21 AM
Turfzilla
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So this happened today.......