Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Low oil pressure on wot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:41 AM
rjrandy96
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low oil pressure on wot?

Mynlow pressure oil light comes on and the gauge goes all the way down when under hard acwleration. I already have t500 and the meiling lpop with stock injectors. Its has been happening just curious why this is going on, scaned it for hpop and thatsbwhen inbought thebt500. I dont drive much in my heavy tow tune so idk if it happens in that tune but even in my eco/light tow it goes on. Cruising is fine just not pedal to the metal situations
Is this because of the double shots? Or is it a tunning issue or something else? Truck runs great besides this egt non issue plenry of power very low smoke almost none with d2 in all outntune. I run wmo someetimes and it smokes with that but that is expected.
Oh and just forgot to mention it starts up great cold hot whatever, coldest day yet was 31 since i had the motor out and even with a 6speed now just beat a hemi(1500 pretty new looking) from 40-80 mph lol but my point is i think its running fantastic.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:39 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Might it be that your LPOP is getting tired and just not supplying the HPOP adequately?

Old 10-17-2016, 11:44 AM
rjrandy96
Tuned
New melling lpop with 4k on it doubt that

Old 10-17-2016, 12:13 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Sorry... you did say that, didn't you. I would agree re the LPOP, then. Still, it's cheap and easy to check the dipstick. I've seen those symptoms before on several 7.3L vehicles.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:44 PM
rjrandy96
Tuned
The oil level? Just changed it... its good. Like i said its been going on just never thought about it much figured it was tune since alot of the tunes out there say no low oil pressure codes. And never drove it much before i had it out. I read online most people have some driveability issues to go along with it. No codes present other than exhaust backpressure stuff since the ebpv is deleted. I think on my way home il drive in the heavy tow (near stock right?) And is have a manual gauge il put on tonight i was curious if anyone had this before. And i have a new lpop because infound out what happens when younput the stocker in wrong. New cover and everything

Old 10-17-2016, 01:12 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Let me correct myself. There is another thread going on right now where the OP has startup problems, and I was thinking of his thread when I posted my last reply to yours. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:13 PM
rjrandy96
Tuned
Alritw yeah my thoughtbit it might be the double shots being oil hungry *******s but idk

Old 10-17-2016, 02:49 PM
Otto396
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjrandy96
Alritw yeah my thoughtbit it might be the double shots being oil hungry *******s but idk
I never had this happen on my doubles. I have singles now. The only thing I can think of is check the LPOP. Maybe the screen plugged?

Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 PM
rjrandy96
Tuned
Can the gasket with the screen be reused? I may or may not have one sitting around wonderingnif i could pull it off real quick after work and just clean it out

Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Before getting carried away, I would be more inclined to install a LPO gauge, swap the LPO pressure sensor, install a test gauge on the HPOP reservoir, or something to that effect. You may want to make sure you have an actual LPO issue - not a sensor issue.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:47 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
First thing I would do is look at what the tuning is calling for, particularly the injector pulsewidth.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:36 PM
rjrandy96
Tuned
Ok i installed a manual gauge, when cold the oil pressure rises with load and rpm (by cold i meant it was running for 30nseconds) after 10 mins of idling the pressure would drop particular under a load. Idk what could make it loose pressure like that it couldnt be the screen it wouldnhave an issue especially when cold but when its warm is qhen the problem occurs. Im thinking injectors leaking internally? It did get better with the new t500 i never bothered withbit before because i was told its because of the tunes... but than i got to thinking that wasnt right. Cold it jump from 50-80 than hit rev limiter and drop to 60. When hot would idle 45 and just drop from there.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:00 AM
Otto396
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might have missed it but, what type of oil are you running? I wonder if its the proper viscosity..

Old 10-22-2016, 05:59 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Pocket is driving at an uber-demand situation with a tune, and that's where my head first went - but my gut tells me this is something else. I've seen a lot of data on trucks with crazy demands from oil, which is extremely common... but the low oil pressure light is not common at all.

If a little too much debris made its way into the oil pan (aluminum seals for bottles), it can block the pickup screen, or your oil pickup tube seal may be failing, or your engine front cover may have too much clearance between it and the pump. None of these scenarios are a happy ending, because they all involve breaking the seal on the oil pan - and messing with the pan is usually an engine-lift thing. There is one likely candidate left that is nowhere near as bad as an engine lift - injector O-rings. I suggest searching the term "Cody test", and performing that action.

How far below 45 PSI do you go at idle? Given all the work to replace everything oil pump related, I'll go out on a limb and say this is your last gasp at solving a long-term problem. Oil type?

Old 10-22-2016, 07:37 AM
rjrandy96
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tugly
Pocket is driving at an uber-demand situation with a tune, and that's where my head first went - but my gut tells me this is something else. I've seen a lot of data on trucks with crazy demands from oil, which is extremely common... but the low oil pressure light is not common at all.

If a little too much debris made its way into the oil pan (aluminum seals for bottles), it can block the pickup screen, or your oil pickup tube seal may be failing, or your engine front cover may have too much clearance between it and the pump. None of these scenarios are a happy ending, because they all involve breaking the seal on the oil pan - and messing with the pan is usually an engine-lift thing. There is one likely candidate left that is nowhere near as bad as an engine lift - injector O-rings. I suggest searching the term "Cody test", and performing that action.

How far below 45 PSI do you go at idle? Given all the work to replace everything oil pump related, I'll go out on a limb and say this is your last gasp at solving a long-term problem. Oil type?
Ok so i like to see this someone with knowledge. To. Start with about 5k milea ago engine was removed because of a floated valve. New lifters, sage one cam, arp headatuds, valve spring 910s with 125lb on the seat, now after finding out what happens when the atock lpop ia put in backwards.... engine was pulled back put and a new front cover and a meiling lpop(what ever the upgraded one ia called) new oil pan and i cleaned out the oil pan which was also new. Thia issue was much more aparent aomeone tols me its just because of the tunea. I had a scanner on there and seen hpop at best was 2300 installed a t500 havent scanned iy since but much better throttle reaponse and the oil light thing happens much less with the t500 but have not scanned it to see. Last night i was out late and no one was on the freeqay so i did a few runa in a hot tune itl happen as low 2800rpm at wot. In heavy tow i could only get it to do it in 3rd gear(6speed) almost at redline. And 15w40 ahell rotella til the next oil change itl be redline oil i ordered. And at idle 45lbs with higher rpn it stays the same or drops especially under load

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure on wot?