6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Low Fuel Pressure - Warm Air Temp

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 11:21 AM
dennisw1mac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Fuel Pressure - Warm Air Temp

I've put about 8K miles on my recently purchased used 2014 F-350 6.7L w/ 24K miles. The dealer has done (for me) an oil change twice and fuel filters about 4K miles ago. They did the filters just after my first fuel incident, and now I've had my second incident 4K miles later after having been running fine.

I've found it's a common story with these trucks... low fuel pressure warning followed by reduced engine power warning; then throttle power goes to nothing but will still idle. However, I've read many threads on this subject without a clear understanding of what MY problem could be.

I'm in Arizona, so plenty warm temps, i.e. no gelling. My problem seems to be air in the lines, as I can hear the air "burbling" in the lower filter housing with the engine off and key on trying to prime when experiencing this problem. On the first incident, I was within 60 miles from home and dealer, so I simply called for a tow truck to the dealer (didn't really know what else to do). After their work, I figured this problem was in my rear view. However, now I know it's always a potential problem. But I'm trying to figure out why/when it happens.

In other threads, air in the lines always seems to be tied to a very recent filter change, loose cover, bad o-ring, didn't purge the lines, etc. However, this is NOT the case with me at either incident; no recent work at all. It's as if the air in the lines just appears out of nowhere and for no obvious reason.

The other culprit talked about in the threads is bad fuel. But I can't make the connection between fuel with water or other contaminants creating air in the lines. Yet fuel stops are the most recent thing that varies. Maybe there IS a connection and someone can explain.

Lastly, I did solve my own problem (temporarily). Stuck in the desert, with my family, late afternoon, I thought I better try something. So with the engine off, key on and listening to that burbling from the lower filter, I decided to open the drain screw. In a few seconds the burbling stopped; so I closed it, started the truck and took off like nothing ever happened. I did have to repeat that procedure again about 100 miles later, and then made it home.

Can you PLEASE shed some light on this problem for me, why/when this happens and how to avoid. It bugs me to no end owning this $60K truck that SHOULD BE a solid, dependable milage eater, yet I'm so uncomfortable striking out on a long trip with the family.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Sounds like you have a fuel Pump/pickup or air inclusion problem.
If you don't know how to trouble shoot the problem, hire someone that does.
Then enjoy your truck.
Good luck.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:46 AM
dennisw1mac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa Ford
Sounds like you have a fuel Pump/pickup or air inclusion problem.
If you don't know how to trouble shoot the problem, hire someone that does.
Then enjoy your truck.
Good luck.
Thought that's what the dealer was for. After my first incident, they also changed the pump along with the filters. Can you elaborate more on the "air inclusion problem"? Maybe I can steer them in the right direction. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:16 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm gonna throw this out there - has anyone dropped the tank and checked to make sure one of those additive bottle cap cardboard round pieces didn't fall into the tank? It's the perfect size to block the pickup. It seems that when all else has failed, that is the culprit.

You may know that you didn't drop one in, since you are careful or don't use additives, but you have no idea what the previous person did before you.

Just a thought...

Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Here is another possibility: Low Fuel Pressure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

"I do have my truck back. It was the low fuel pressure switch they say. They replaced it and the invoice says: "Verified low fuel pressure light on. Perform KOEO test, found no codes. Check oasis, no related SMS or tab. Check connector and found fuel in sensor and connector biased. Replaced fuel pressure sensor and connector. Road rest and retest, ok at this time."

The above is from another poster on another forum.